Alaska's Top of the World Highway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're happy we did it when its was still rough and rowdy.  Rather like a badge of courage! :)

Nancy has the tee shirt "I drove the Top of the World Highway and survived".

It was dry and almost firm the day we drove it.  One morning the manager at the campground in Tok advised us "If you want to take your coaches over TOW, today is the day!".  It was a sunny day after a light rain and he said the sand would be packed reasonably firm and "as good as it's ever gonna get". So, we quickly packed and left. Had an easy trip and great views along the way. Still left serious dust cloud in our wake - had to leave 100 yards between our tow coaches for part of the trip.

This was at Chicken, after driving from Dawson City on the TOW.

Attachments

• 19-Russ will need a rig wash (Copy).jpg
    19-Russ will need a rig wash (Copy).jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20-Us too but better mud on the outside than dust everywhere inside (Copy).jpg
    20-Us too but better mud on the outside than dust everywhere inside (Copy).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 34
I wish I had a picture.  :)  When we arrived in Tok,  the cloth-top, 80-something Suzuki looked like it had been "breaded" in dust and was ready to fry!  When we looked back toward the Top of the World Highway, it was covered by extremely black clouds, so we felt lucky to have travelled over it when we did.  We really enjoyed the whole trip and were happy we faced the challenge.

Everyone says the Top of the World Highway is beautiful when visibility is good but we never saw any scenery either time we drove it.  The weather was foggy and rainy and the road was muddy.  And both times we spent forever in the car wash at Tok.  That's where we decided we never wanted a tow dolly.  We watched a guy try to pry the mud off the straps so he get his car off the dolly and never did see him succeed.  I didn't actually hear what he was saying but I imagined the curses!

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katjarner
Back
Top Bottom