alcohol in coach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ua5141

Can anyone tell me the rules for carring booze in the coach of your MH. Just want to avoid trouble if I can.

I'm not 100% sure, but the rules should be the same as a car. If i were you, just my opinion of course, I would keep any open container in an outside compartment or a cabinet TOTALLY out of the way of the driver. IE: locked up. Any open container "accessable to the driver" is considered a no no. Beer, wine etc that is in your fridge or cabinets unopened should be fine. It would be no different than carrying it home from the store.

If the RV is parked and "established" in a spot for the purpose of living (even overnight camping), it's considered a place a residence and falls under different rules than if you are in motion on the road. Established means jacks down, water/electric hooked up, slide out, etc. Parking at Walmart overnight does NOT qualify for this.

Hope this helps.

Most states consider any area of the coach outside of the actual driving area to be "house" rather than vehicle. You can have booze in the fridge or in the cabinets and passengers behind the driving seat can have open beverages.

Each state has its own rules and local authorities may have their own interpretation of those rules, but generally booze in an RV is a non-issue as long as it is outside the driver's reach.

Might be a good subject for some research and reporting of facts. Prior to this discussion I would have replied with the same comments that Gary made.

George, please check the subject line. Nowt to do with firearms, but that might the subject of a new discussion  ;)

Sorry Tom.  I realized that I was creating thread drift but felt that someone new might want to consider firearms too, as illegal transportation can be a big problem and the laws differ from state to state. 

I will consider myself appropriately chastised. 

As I understand it, it is very state driven. I know in NC if the driver has ANY alcohol on their breath than the law allows them to be charged with an open container if there is anything that even once held alcohol. If I had a beer an hour ago and I get pulled over and they find and empty wine bottle in the trunk for recycling I can be charged with driving with an open container. I assume this could work for an RV too.....rule of thumb, don't drive these big ass things with any alcohol in your system. I'm not a prude but I'll drive a car after a drink but never my RV or a motorcycle!

From Oregon Revised Statutes:
811.170 Violation of open container
law; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense
of violation of the open container law
in a motor vehicle if the person does any of
the following:
(a) Drinks any alcoholic liquor in a motor
vehicle when the vehicle is upon a highway.
(b) Possesses on one′s person, while in a
motor vehicle upon a highway, any bottle,
can or other receptacle containing any alcoholic
liquor, which has been opened, or a
seal broken, or the contents of which have
been partially removed.
(c) Keeps in a motor vehicle when the
vehicle is upon any highway, any bottle, can
or other receptacle containing any alcoholic
liquor, which has been opened, or a seal
broken, or the contents of which have been
partially removed. The following apply to
this paragraph:
(A) This paragraph applies only to the
registered owner of any motor vehicle or, if
the registered owner is not then present in
the vehicle, to the driver of the vehicle.
(B) This paragraph does not apply if the
bottle, can or other receptacle is kept in the
trunk of the vehicle, or kept in some other
area of the vehicle not normally occupied by
the driver or passengers if the vehicle is not
equipped with a trunk.
(C) For purposes of this paragraph, a
utility compartment or glove compartment is
considered within the area occupied by the
driver and passengers.
(D) This paragraph does not apply to the
living quarters of a camper or motor home.

I don't worry about Alcohol in the MH.. I have a small bottle of wine in the pantry.. I have one recipe that calls for wine.. The bottle is currently "Factory sealed" and when I break the seal I'll use the entire bottle in that recipe..  Sealed, it's legal  and when I make the dish, I'll be parked in a campground.

Of course... I'm a coffee-holic.. (What is called a "Tea Totaller") Because.. Well, most alcoholic beverages, including most wines, beer and all hard liquors. 

Are not pleasing to my taste buds.

(A few wines are acceptable... but only a few)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trooper#1
Back
Top Bottom