ALLISON 2000MH TRANS CHECK LIGHT ON, LIMP MODE????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GAGYPSY

I have a 02 Winny Journey 82240 miles, with a cummins ISB 275hp turning a Allison 2000MH.  Took the unit to a injector shop for replacement of injector pump  VP-44 and OEM lift pump. Don't know how they did it, but when i got the unit back the trans light was on and the tranny would only go up to forth gear 45mph.  Never had a previous problem with the tranny. Was not able to get a code of the tranny. Local Freightliner said problem with data link, but it turns out that they did not know what they were talking about. No Allison certified techs, no Allison software. Took it to Allison authorized repair service in Atlanta and they advised me that it was not electrical, and they are going to have to drop the pan to diagnose. They indicated they did not think it was major mechanical.

Anyone out there have any knowledge about maintenance and repair of these trannys. Any idea as to what the problem might be?  :'(

Just seems too suspicious that the problem began after major engine work. Probably not hard to have knocked a wire loose somewhere. Hard to know whether the Allison guys have the better diagnosis or not, but I guess you have to trust the pros.

Let us know what it turns out to be.

Well, unfortunately you can't always trust the pros. Turbo Electric Diesel of Macon GA did the pump replacement.

First they pulled loose a data link cable during the process that fell on the manifold and shorted a wire which was responsible for the check light. Second they jacked up the MH on a cross over bar not meant to lift the coach, causing problems with the levelers.

Next went  to the "Pros" at Freightliner Custom Chassis referred facility, Middle Georgia Freightliner, Macon GA and they took almost five weeks and more than $1500 to do essentially nothing for me. Freightliner charged me for more than eight hours diagnostic time, and said it would cost more than $3000 to remove data link cable from the MH to repair or replace it.

They said they they were a Allison Authorized Repair Center, they were not, They indicated they had Allison certified techs and Allison diagnostics, they lied, they had neither.

Finally  I had MH towed to W.W. Williams in Atlanta (Authorized Allison Repair Facility) at the recommendation of Allison Corporation customer service. Now I know where the REAL Pros are. They found and repaired the data link problem in less than one hour.  While I was there I had them do some other much needed work, which came in under estimate and was performed perfectly in a week.

SargeW said:
Did you call Freightliner back and complain about their lack of diagnosis?

Yes I did, reported incident to Freightliner, Freightliner Owners Club, and Freightliner Regional Manager, Better Business Bureau, haven't heard a thing.  Sent email to customer service Gaffney, they replied, and were the ones that told me Middle GA was ripping me off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom