Allison Transmission Tech Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for this forum. Bought a 95 Kodiak rollback tow truck, 3116 Cat and Allison, have serial numbers et al. Been setting many months,
finally went to get her. After new batteries, ruling out seized brakes, I suspect something between motor and rear end. Idles ok in neutral,
but when placed in reverse or drive, has rough rumbling sound and will not move forward or reverse, acceleration doesn't help. I put in
drive I think, crawled under traansmission, where the little view plate was off already, and the gear or maybe it's the flywheel, is spinning.
This truck has some high miles, but drove from NJ to Florida last year without incident [cept blowing retread and replacing all]. Just been
parked in outdoor storage since, and now she won't budge. I replaced some brakeline, shouldn't have anything to do with it. Ok, take your
best shot at it, what do you think? Clutch? Torque converter? I don't know anything about these, now have three A. automatics, well four
with one spare. Appreciate whatever you can give me. Have ordered manual, but what do you suggest I try to figure this out? I usually end
up doing whatever I can myself, for monetary reasons. Thanks in advance!

Please note that Allisonman has not been seen or heard from since Sept 2011. Sorry, maybe some other knowledgeable contributor can help.

Hi my name is Tony. I have a trans repair shop and have a customer that has old buses and such that are farm slowmovers, wants me to give him a set price's on rebuilding the 545, 643 no problem there but he wants to use motor oil as the transmission fluid have you ever heard this?

Edit: Remove excessive white space

AllisonMan,  I have an unusual problem with my 2007 National RV on Freightliner chassis with a Cummins.  My allison transmission works flawlessly anytime I do not have the headlights on.  Without the lights on I can shift into NN and engage the parking break when stopping, I can easily shift between D1 and RR; basically all normal.  Once I turn the lights on I can shift from NN to D1 and drive without issue...until I want to engage reverse.  Once I engage reverse and go try to back to drive I get DR; if I try to put in in NN I get NR, manually I can eventually get back to D1.  The only way to shut down or go from d1 to RR is to turn off the lights.  What in the wiring could cause this, in your opinion?

Mike, Let me give this a shot, Your issue sounds like a bad ground. It sounds like your solenoids may have lost their ground and are grounding through the lighting circuit. I would check all grounds and tighten and clean where necessary.

Allisonman

I need your help.I have a 2003 duramax 6.6 with a 2001 allison transmission. I just completed changing the the torque converter because of the welds on the tab that bolt to the flex plate on the torque were leaking on the old one. I completed replacing the torque with a rebuild one  and  I replaced the spin on filter with magnet and put new fluid in the tranny. It feels like the transmission is slipping extemely bad. I can only get up to crawl speed in drive and i have no reverse. There is no error codes displaying on my dash and all fluids are top off. Everything was working perfect when I pulled the transmission out of the truck.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Sam

boomer,

Allisonman hasn't been here for some time.

Tom, maybe you should consider locking this thread? It still contains good info for what has already been written, but it's kind of misleading to new folks that post up expecting the OP to answer their questions. I think that Allisonman has moved on.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom