Alternate route from RI to Lake George

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hockeycoach15

Anyone ever take an alternate route to Lake George from the Providence/Boston area? Typical route is I-90 to I-87, but we have time to take it slow. Mapquest gives an alternate trip going through Vermont, but not sure if that route would be good to travel with a 37' motorhome.

Thanks.

Used to live in RI.  Ever use Rt 2 up in MA?  Used that a few times to head out that way.  Then to Troy and either up 4 or 87.  Only issue with 2 is it tends to go through towns, hence lights and stop signs, but it really gets you through this section of old paper mill towns at a pace you can see the sights and hear the sounds and sniff the aromas.

Where do you live?  I was in the Warwick/East Greenwich area. 

Thanks Bill. Rt 2 is what mapquest suggests. I don't mind going through some towns, as long as the scenery is nice. Kinda tired of the concrete jungle and billboards! Rt 20 isn't a bad option, but Rt 2 will take us through Vermont, which should be nice.

Save climbing any mountains.  From Worcester area, take 20 West to 49 in Sturbridge, 49N to 9, 9W to 91N to 103N, to 7N and then 4W, to 149 W and you will end up in Lake George.  Very pretty route, Lived in VT for years and this will give you a good ride and some great scenery.

91 to White  River Junction route 4 through Rutland to Lake George

If you do it in the fall have sun glasses because the foliage is stunning..

Traveled it in a Class C 24 ft

Jim

PancakeBill said:
Used to live in RI.  Ever use Rt 2 up in MA?  Used that a few times to head out that way.  Then to Troy and either up 4 or 87.  Only issue with 2 is it tends to go through towns, hence lights and stop signs, but it really gets you through this section of old paper mill towns at a pace you can see the sights and hear the sounds and sniff the aromas.

Where do you live?  I was in the Warwick/East Greenwich area.

Hi Bill,
I currently live in Coventry. Liven in the Potowomut section of Warwick from 1986-1999. Owned an auto repair business in the East Greenwich area from 1992-2004.

PancakeBill said:
Hmm which biz?  I was in Chepiwanoxet.  Just off Post Rd.

Iowned George's Auto Service. Started on Long St. in EG, moved to Frenchtown Rd., then finished in a building that was next to Bay Buick on Post Rd.
Small world, eh!

I've traveled RT 4 in Vermont & NY in a 40 DP with no problems. I've also traveled across Vermont on St Rte 9 (southern Vermont) in a 36ft and I don't remember any issues.

PancakeBill said:
I remember it.  Enjoy the retirement!

Wish I was retired!!! Long way to go for that. Needed to get out of that aspect of the auto industry, now involved with teaching and managing programs at a technical school.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom