Alternate site for Quartzsite rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vmax1 said:
I stayed close to where you guys were, it was so dusty I moved to this location, nice and flat and no dust, good spot here.

Hey, Max -- you might want to read the rest of this thread. Plomosa has been visited, photos taken and posted, and discussed in detail here as an alternative site - as was most every other possibility.  :)

BTW, you signed up last year and never showed or let us know you were not coming. Was that because of too much dust? You were also invited by several members to at least visit one of our happy hours. Did I miss you there as well?

I stayed close to where you guys were, it was so dusty I moved to this location, nice and flat and no dust, good spot here.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen us change sites this year to one of the 14-day free areas (either Plamosa Road or Scaddan Wash would have been fine), but I've said enough already.  I'm pretty sure we'll go wherever the group goes again this year, but it's not going to be easy to convince friends, relatives, or acquaintances in an RV who are just passing thru QZ to join us for a night at 541 if it's going to cost them $40. 

Every time someone suggests moving to the 14-day free area, someone else mentions "IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MONEY."  Well, 9 out of 10 times that you hear that phrase, it IS about the money.  Maybe not their money, but somebody's money.  :eek:

Sure it's dusty at 541.  I think that's where our MH's radiators get plugged up every year since those are the only real dusty roads we travel on.  But then I've heard someone say "IT'S NOT ABOUT THE DUST" either, so what you gonna do?  ;)

. . . but it's not going to be easy to convince friends, relatives, or acquaintances in an RV who are just passing thru QZ to join us for a night at 541 if it's going to cost them $40.

If just passing thru, why not have them park at Scaddan - then drive over and have dinner or whatever with them. Unless they were coming down 95 to begin with, that would be a lot easier than them having to drive almost 8 miles North off the 10 to find you at Plomosa.

OTOH, Scaddan, IMO, is much dustier than 541 - unless you go all the way to the back, over about 5 washes. Actually, if you look at the pics I posted - that would be the ideal area if we had another way to get back there vs. the front entrance and the washes. If we all get back to one of those great sites and another big storm hit -- we could become known as the QZ Donner Party.  :'(

when those storms hit Plomosa, no problem with flash floods, you a little more higher up. If you park on the eastern edge, its all open desert to the east, great place to go for a walk, or walk the doggy. Heres video I took, lots of room there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y12VGsRx1Lc

The plan is for  attendees this year at the regular RVForum Quartzsite rally site who have an interest in moving the location  dedicate time to go on a field trip together.  Then around a campfire at the rally those "decisions"  can be made for 2012.  Sure  we won't be able to please everyone  but everyone will have had "input. "

I kinda like what Ken K always said.  "Those who do th e work of the rally should get to have the biggest  VOTE."  Consensus is what we are looking  for.  And good weather.

If just passing thru, why not have them park at Scaddan - then drive over and have dinner or whatever with them.

Bob, I'd rather have them camp near us and join us at the Happy Hour and campfire if they wanted to.  I think they'd enjoy that.

We've stayed at Scaddan before, the front part that is close to Hwy 10 can be noisy, but you can easily park back far enough to escape the noise.  I don't know if there are other roads to get back there or not, I suspect not.  I think if someone got there early enough, he could stake out an area big enough for our group that wouldn't be that far from the Scaddan entrance.  And Scaddan is closer and has easier and faster access to Quartzsite than 541 or Plomosa Road.

As for the dust, well, one year they watered down some of the main dusty roads in the LTVA.  Not sure if that was also done to the roads in the 14-day free areas.  I wish they'd do that every year before the RV Show.

rsalhus said:

As for the dust, well, one year they watered down some of the main dusty roads in the LTVA.  Not sure if that was also done to the roads in the 14-day free areas.  I wish they'd do that every year before the RV Show.

While I've not been to Quartzsite, many dry, dusty areas, desert or otherwise, when watered down, are back to dust within just a few hours, as if they'd never been watered. If the QZ area is like that, they'd have to water at least twice a day. Still, the idea sounds mighty good.

If someone's just coming to visit for a day or two, you could recommend that they stay at Roadrunner, very close to 541 and away from traffic. They could even drive up the Old Yuma Road to get to 541 for a visit.

Wendy

I guess it was simpler in the "olden days".  Fred and Daisy simply said "we're here" and the rest of us said "OK, we'll be there!"  Bob has done a lot of work in the ensuing years to gather the forum faithful and inform them of the rally.  Stick a stick in the ground, wherever you want to, Bob.  Say "I'm here!"  and I'll bet you'll have a crowd wherever you decide to build that fire ring. 

Margi

Good one Margi.  I've stayed out of the fray since it no longer matters to us where it will be held, as we probably won't make any more QZ rallies.  As you said, all one has to do to start a rally is pick a place and say this is it.  Like it or not!  Come when you can, leave when you must.  That's what we did for years, and each year more came then the year before.  It is the experience of desert living that we loved.  The beauty of the sun moving around the area all day long, changing the scenery with its lights and shadows as it moves across the mountains.  Jim's essay still says it all and it is still as true today as the day he wrote it.  Especially for those who have never been to the desert or experience dry camping.

The original rallies were just as Margi stated, and we planned them mainly around the greatest GEM show ever, NOT the RV show, which came in on the Gem show coattails.  Fred and I had gotten interested in the gems and some of the craftmanship of the designs was something we thoroughly marveled at.  The BIG TENT was then held where the large laundry on East Main street is now, (near the bakery) and was even then outgrowing its space.  Parking was a real snag.

When they moved to the place it is now, the whole atmosphere changed, as did the town.  They had to put in traffic lights, of all things.  ;D

However, years go by, new people come to enjoy, ideas are put forth, and changes are made.  We had our time, and certainly enjoyed each and every minute of them.  I still love the desert and always will.  And now we have our memories.  They will never fade, until we do. 

The main thing about the QZ rallies or any of the rallies for that matter, are for people to come, meet the people face to face that you've only talked to on-line.  See the expressions and fun in their souls, so that when they post messages you'll be able to put their facial expressions together with their on-line thoughts.  And absolutely the bottom line is to have fun, fun, fun.  I have always looked at QZ as a grown up persons carnival.  A celebration of mostly RVers that brings a lot of them all together in one place at one time of the year.  And I think every RVer owes it to himself to see this desert with about 1/2 million rvs scattered around 11,000 acres of land.  It is one of the most unbelievable sights we have ever seen. 

I have to add the following!  We picked the place we did, because we had to move to a place with more room as we had outgrown our previous site and were no longer welcome there.  There is a "sort of" protocol in the desert.  Mostly it is a "first come, first serve" sort of thing as far as picking your space goes.  BUT, it is also "consideration".  Those that have been coming for several years know that others have parked in specific areas with their groups.  If "strangers" happen to park in that spot they are "politely" asked to join the 10 or 15 or ? other rvers who will be showing up and hopefully will enjoy their company as well.  The "strangers" generally move on if they are not feeling comfortable with that much company.  The fact that the forum rally is held during "show time" generally means you will have to stake out your area very early in the season with someone coming into a chosen spot in late Dec. early Jan. to act as "governor".  And then hope to hold on to it for as long as it takes others to show up.  Another consideration, is for those who enjoy boondocking and want to come in for a longer spell, will have to leave the area frequently for dumping and water.  Those places will have to be mapped out ahead of time with the best times and places to be there.  Also trash is another consideration, as others have already mentioned.  Just food for thought while searching for a new site.

Daisy 

Ditto Wendy.

We had the pleasure of meeting Fred and Daisy for the first time at the Plymouth, CA rally in 1995; They were "fresh" from Maine. What a wonderful couple and folks we've come to respect and acknowledge as gurus when it comes to RV fulltiming.

Fred & Daisy are the two who got many of us to come to QZ. The first year they were there they wrote about their adventures on the forum, back when it was on Compuserve. Pat & I sat in our home in CT amazed at what we were reading. We finally were able to make the trip once we retired in 1996. That is when I wrote what I did about QZ. It hasn't changed but I guess people have. QZ isn't to be over planned. You go and enjoy. The location really isn't the point. It's the people you meet and the friendships that go on for years. Until someone experiences QZ it's hard to understand what happens on the desert.

I know the price for a week was less when we started but it really isn't that much more today. We've met many wonderful people on the desert and many times they were in other locations. it certainly was not a problem to drive to where they were parked to enjoy their company or have them come to where we were parked. I say let Bob stake out a place and all who want can join in the fun. Life is too short to worry about another spot of QZ concrete. Regardless of where the group is located good times will flow.

Daisy,

We are sad that you don't think you'll make it to QZ.
You well be truly missed.
Hope to see you guys sometime this fall.

Take care

ken

Thanks Ken, but I hardly ever say never.  ;)  It just doesn't look like it at this time.  Looking forward to seeing you in the fall, and hopefully at Catalina. 

Daisy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom