Alternative to Onan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you think Onan is overpriced then stay away from Honda, I was quoted $200 for a small gas tank for a pressure washer and over $200 for a carb for a BS 24 hp mower. Nothing beat shopping around, a gravely carb was $240, shopped the part number and got it for $43 new, same thing.

The responses here seem to show that Onan uses or has previously used both their own engines and those sourced from others. Examples of each exist. Doesn't seem much point in debating it further.

SCVJeff said:
Everyone seems to have forgotten Kohler

Kohler is Diesel only and smallest size is 20KW. They won't work for most RVers.

Fischer Panda does make 8kW and up generators for RVs, but they are also all diesel.

ken

Ken & Sheila said:
Kohler is Diesel only and smallest size is 20KW. They won't work for most RVers.

Fischer Panda does make 8kW and up generators for RVs, but they are also all diesel.

ken

Kohler was a major player in this space for many many years. Wether they still are I don't know, but I still have 2 news trucks with gas Kohler's somewhere in the 5-7k range, and they unfortunately just keep on spinning.

I agree with having your Onan carb cleaned. Any small engine shop should be able to do it inexpensively if you don't want to give it a try. Generally, all that happens to them is the jets in the bottom of the fuel bowl gets coated with a varnish-like substance from evaporating gas. That's why it's important to open the drain at the bottom of the bowl anytime you will be storing it for an extended period. A lot of times even carb cleaner will not dissolve that deposit and you have to CAREFULLY scrape/scratch it away. I've had luck with my small drill bit set finding the one that is JUST the right size to GENTLY work into the jet holes being VERY careful not to 'drill' them larger. You'll find it chips off almost like a thin coating of glass. The jet size is VERY critical. The deposits will shrink it enough that the engine will only run (very poorly) with the choke on or not at all if it is fully plugged. Not being careful and making the holes bigger than original sets you up for a new carb.

The tip cleaners sold at welding supply stores work well for cleaning carbs. I think Lowes even sells them now that I think of it. In the tool dept.

Back
Top Bottom