Alternator not charging.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DonTom said:
Don't waste your money on a new isolator.  Your alternator must be getting its "brown wire" voltage from your cruise control circuit. so when it fails, your alternator goes dead too.

-Don- Pendleton, OR​

I also believe this to be the case.....I dont want to chance it happening again while Im on the road.  I think the best thing to do would be to eliminate the problem by running a dedicated wire for the alternator to replace the current "brown wire".  Unless, of course, I find the problem when I trace the wires.  

I already had ordered a replacement isolator,  so I will change that also.  I wont have a chance to work on it untill later in the week.  I will post the results!

PS...Thanks Gary for spliting the thread.

trailblazer50 said:
I also believe this to be the case.....I dont want to chance it happening again while Im on the road.  I think the best thing to do would be to eliminate the problem by running a dedicated wire for the alternator to replace the current "brown wire".  Unless, of course, I find the problem when I trace the wires.  

I already had ordered a replacement isolator,  so I will change that also.  I wont have a chance to work on it untill later in the week.  I will post the results!

PS...Thanks Gary for spliting the thread.

If you're ambitious, add the lamp that I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread. It has many useful purposes and shows problems instantly. It's a great troubleshooting tool. And run it independent of the cruise control circuit.  Then you can start a new thread about your cruise control. I added a cruise control to this Class C Express Cutaway van as it never had one. I used it a lot on the way up here from Reno. So maybe I van help with that too. But it's quite obvious it has a missing voltage somewhere that's also used to turn on your alternator.

Keeping the circuits separate I think is a good idea, even if GM doesn't agree. ;D

But it's very difficult, if not almost impossible to fix something while it's working. That it now charges for unknown reasons is bad news, IMO. That's a good way to get stuck a thousand miles from home.

I hope it breaks soon.  :D ;D

And while you're home still working on it.

-Don- (Peaceful Pines RV Park, Spokane, WA)​

Thanks for the input Don....I like the idea of the alt. light and will incorporate it when I do the re-wire.  We're taking a short trip to one of our hot rod events with the rv.  It's in Nashville, which is only about 3 hours away.....should be a good shakedown cruise!

Daniel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom