Am I going in the wrong direction?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maddie

I see several posts where people have traded up into bigger rigs as they got used to rving (been there, done that).  But I don't recall seeing one trading to a smaller one.

I love my 37' with all it's amenities but it's a lot of real estate to haul around for one person.  (DH doesn't have much interest).  It pretty much necessitates a toad, which I have, but that of course, makes it even bulkier to drive.

I've been looking at some of the newer class C's with a slideout and they look pretty good.  I might even be able to park it on a relatives street when visiting without too many complaints.

Just ruminating;  I realize the financial hit I would take.  But if I actually traveled more, it might make sense.  Has anyone gone through this and, if so, did you regret it?

I think many people will downsize the rig as life's requirements change.  Shoot, you may even be able to move into a B+ size.  Whatever works for you and your style of travel is great.

We tried going from a 5W 34 to a 29' Class B and was not a happy camper after several trips. Now we are in a 36" Class A and feel comfortable. Some people love the flexibility of the smaller RV and can deal with the closed up feeling of the smaller interiors but I can't. As far as camping on the street, I do not recommend it as bad things can happen even in good neighborhoods. We were in front of my parents home years ago in an older 34' Class A when we got caught in the middle of a police chase, shoot out in a town where nothing ever happens in a really nice neighborhood.

If you can live within the constraints of a B or B+ you may be happy downsizing.

Went from a 34 foot class A to a truck camper and loved it. Because of my wife's new knees versus the over cab bed, we went back to a 27 foot class A.  So we are back to a toad, back to hard parking, back to not being able to stop anywhere on a moments notice, etc., etc.

We are currently looking for a class B to get back to the sense of freedom not hauling all that stuff around gives.

.... " if I ever hit the right 7 numbers "........

I'm gonna order the biggest baddest 45' Newell Class A ever made, and pull color matched Mercedes Sprinter 18' Class B as my toad.

that'd be my vote for the    "best of both r/v directions".

Wow, across the board replies.  I couldn't handle a B, that would be TOO little.  I guess one of the things I see in the replies is that there is a lot of trading going on, so I don't feel so bad thinking about it.

Anyone else?

You're right.  I think most of us tend to upsize and upgrade if we start RVing when young because we can afford something nicer and larger as we get older.  Some eventually downsize because their needs change.  Maybe the family doesn't go with them as often or they take more extended trips as a couple and want something that is more suitable for two than for five or six.  It depends on what you and your husband want and/or need and none of the rest of our opinions count!

ArdraF

A few years ago, shortly after I retired, we were faced with a decision as to whether to upsize or buy a winter place.  We bought in a 55 + park, and do love not having to load and maintain the Class A.  However, we miss the RV lifestyle, and started looking for a Class B.  But, after looking a many, we have decided they are just too small, one of our friends used to call them "divorce in a can", and I can see why.  So, we are now looking at a smaller TT to tow behind the SUV.
    That way we won't have too much invested, it will be an easy tow, and will let us enjoy a few months a year RVing.

Ed

You will ALWAYS lose money on trading.  It is a dealership's #1 way to make a profit.  Devalue what they "buy" from you, and inflate the value on what they sell you.  If you are wanting to downsize, consider selling your current rig privately and buying another from a private seller.  Craigslist is your friend!

There should be a lot of inventory out there right now especially, because it's the end of the season.  But don't be pressured either because of the time of year.  Keep thinking about it, maybe give it another camping season before you make a decision.

You say you love your 37', you may not be happy with a smaller unit.  We have a 25' class C and still found for our life style we need a toad.  Remember going smaller, storage, holding tanks everything is smaller.  You signature says you work camp which means you may stay in your RV extended periods of times.  I would give the 37 another year and really check out smaller before you change.  Sometimes I think it would be nice to go back to a bigger motor home.  Dick nvrver

Hfx_Cdn said:
  However, we miss the RV lifestyle, and started looking for a Class B.  But, after looking a many, we have decided they are just too small, one of our friends used to call them "divorce in a can", and I can see why.

Ha... Good name.
A lot of varying preferences for rig sizes, but I couldn't imaging anything smaller than what we've got and it's just the two of us.
I love the queen dearly, but I don't want her sitting on my lap 24/7.......

TonyDtorch said:
  .... " if I ever hit the right 7 numbers "........

I'm gonna order the biggest baddest 45' Newell Class A ever made, and pull color matched Mercedes Sprinter 18' Class B as my toad.

that'd be my vote for the    "best of both r/v directions".

That made me laugh out loud!!  You go!!  At this point I'd do the same!

Tide

I am very happy with my 32' Class C as a solo traveler.  I also do not have a towed vehicle, which makes the motorhome MUCH easier to maneuver and drive. 

If you are truly going to be traveling alone, then downsizing and not towing would make things much easier to handle things alone, but you will have to weigh the convenience of bigger with being able to move more often and faster with smaller.

Mine is a 38' Class A... I rather like having a towed.. And an "A".  but that is a different line.

I see folks who argue that a trailer of one or the other kind is better but you know.. I've spoken with folks who have 5ers in the same size class.. Towing with that big pickup they get about the same MPG I get.

Running to the store to get a gallon of milk (Just the pickup, or in my case the towed) I get like double the MPG they get.. plus it's easier to park the NEON than it is say an F-350.

BUT.. as I have often said, Choice is good... And I have no problem with your choice.. Did that for a few years in fact.  There is an advantage or two to driving the house when you go to the store.. For example. In August, the Ice Cream does NOT melt between store and house.

I have been thinking about it the last few days and weighing the comments I've received.  I especially agree with the two that suggested waiting another camping season.  Reason being is that so far, most of my experience has been workamping where I live in it for three months and move to the next for 3-4 months.  In that case, having the extra room is divine.

It's just when I think about my initial reason for buying a RV, touring the US, that I don't want to carry all that with me.  But when, and if, that happens is left in the air.

One poster had a good point, too.  I have tons of storage in mine, half I don't even use as yet, and I would give that up in a C.  When I closed up for the winter last week and brought all my clothes and groceries home I commented to DH that I can't believe how much I can have in it and not feel crowded.

I still welcome all comments.  But for now, I know I won't do anything this winter.  Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom