Amazon Makes it Difficult!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taoshum

Heads UP:

I ordered a Magnadyne OEM replacement radio/cd/sat radio through Amazon from an Amazon Merchant in January, 2010.  The product description says that it has a 2 year warranty.  After 6 months it started going OFF spontaneously... just like the OEM radio did.  Seems to me it's a manufacturing defect but who really knows.

Anyway, I have called the Merchant, Amazon and Magnadyne trying to get someone to honor the warranty.  The merchant won't return my phone calls, Amazon will not intervene on my behalf with the merchant and the Magnadyne will not step up and stand behind their product.  Magnadyne offered to look at the radio and maybe fix it for a fee but I'm especially upset with Amazon since we have been loyal Amazon customers since Jeff Bazos started the company in the 90's.  I finally contacted the "executive office" using email to [email protected] and they confirmed that Amazon policy is to not support their customers even though they say they will make sure that their merchants provide first rate service to their customers.

If you do business with Amazon.com be forewarned that if you have problems "down the road" they will not help... this is in contrast to a few other companies that have a far more customer oriented policy.

Needless to say... we will be hesitant to buy from Amazon in the future.

There is no business in America that guarantees an item six months after they sell it unless they also are the manufacturer. The merchant and Amazon will only be liable for the first 30 days. After that it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to provide warranty service. I have been doing business with Amazon for many years and they are about as good as it gets for customer service. You can't blame Amazon for Magnadyne's problem.

Most likely the merchant may not be responsible if they didn't actually promise to be, and if there's no special circumstance. Not sure where the 30 days he mentions comes from, I guess it could be local rules or company policy. If you don't get results from being a squeaky wheel, you could try the Better Business Bureau and your state's consumer protection or attorney general office. Good luck.

There is something called the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), While I am not an expert, I do know this.

First: The Federal "Code" is more of a guideline than a law.. It has not teeth, however most (if not all) states have modeled some form of "Consumer Protection Act" upon it, (Which is what it was intended for I very strongly suspect)

Basically what it says is this:

If the item is a "Use once, throw away" then if you get one use,,, You are to be happy.  This would include most all consumables such as Hair Spray, Deodorant, Soap, and such.

If the item can be expected, under normal use, to last MORE than 4 years, and the factory warranty, as in your case, is 2 years.. "You may have other rights which vary from state to state" (Provided you did not sign them away)  That line in quotes is a very common "Bottom Line" on a warranty.  Those other rights are up to 4 years of warranty protection.

IF, the Factory warranty is More than 4 years,  Then they can leave out that "You may have other rights" line.  It applies.

The SELLER, not the factory, (Magnadyne) and not the broker (Amazon) but the SELLER (Vendor) is responsible under UCC.

Now.. The quesiton is this: Is it worth pursuing?

Also, What exactly are your rights,  If the product was ordered from out of state how does that affect your rights.. I can not answer any of these questions.

Since it was purchased 6 months ago, and it has a 2-year warranty, it seems to me that it is the manufacturer who is ultimately responsible.

Wendy

It looks to me like he specifically stated that the product has a 2 year warranty. If it fails in 6 months there should be recourse, period.  If the manufacturer dodges it's responsibility then the guarantor should step in.  If it doesn't then the second party has failed.  Notice given, notice taken.  Amazon failed.  Take note.

Few stores will take back merchandise after a brief time has passed, typically the 30 days that Tom mentioned.  The product warranty comes from the manufacturer of the goods. Anything the retailer does for you is "customer goodwill", not warranty.

In the case of goods bought from an independent retailer who advertised through Amazon, Amazon isn't even the seller. They are just a medium bringing a buyer and a seller together. No responsibility whatsoever, just like a newspaper classified ad has no responsibility for the seller's claims or performance.

CAVEAT EMPTOR applies!

I had a similar problem with a cell phone accessory. I don't remember how long I had it, but it failed withing the warranty period. My attitude is that whoever collected my money and advertised the warranty is the one ultimately responsible for honoring it. Anyone else has an agreement with them, not me. In my case, after more than a month of them circular finger pointing, I called the credit card company, documented what was going on. They credited my account and charged back the merchant. Our thought was that if they cared about getting paid, that might get their attention. If they didn't, I was made whole and could repurchase from someone else.

I don't know if this approach would work for you, but it did for me. If the merchant doesn't return emails or phone calls, taking your payment back might get his attention.

I used to purchase from Amazon exclusively.  I wrote USED TO.  After purchasing a $85.00 docking station for our IPOD, it stopped working within two weeks.  I contacted Amazon who informed me that they only got involved if a dispute wasn't rectified.  I contacted the selling company.  They explained that there was indeed issues with that model and it was discontinued.  At no time did they offer a refund.  They did however offer an upgraded model for the same price.  I accepted and several days later it arrived.  The new model was only intended to operate though a TV set linked to the IPOD which was useless for our needs.  After several emails the company literally said they were done with me, and the issue was resolved.  I filed a claim with Amazon who took the companies side and said to much time had passed since the unit was only warrantied for 30 days only. Most of the passing time was lost through e-mail and phone calls and waiting for shipments to arrive.  Long story short, Amazon needs me more then I need them not standing behind a consumer rip-off.

seilerbird said:
There is no business in America that guarantees an item six months after they sell it unless they also are the manufacturer. The merchant and Amazon will only be liable for the first 30 days. After that it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to provide warranty service. I have been doing business with Amazon for many years and they are about as good as it gets for customer service. You can't blame Amazon for Magnadyne's problem.

I'm not "blaming" Amazon, I just ask for their support to influence the merchant, who is the company offering the warranty, to answer my call.  Amazon has the leverage that I don't have....

RV Roamer said:
Few stores will take back merchandise after a brief time has passed, typically the 30 days that Tom mentioned.  The product warranty comes from the manufacturer of the goods. Anything the retailer does for you is "customer goodwill", not warranty.

In the case of goods bought from an independent retailer who advertised through Amazon, Amazon isn't even the seller. They are just a medium bringing a buyer and a seller together. No responsibility whatsoever, just like a newspaper classified ad has no responsibility for the seller's claims or performance.

CAVEAT EMPTOR applies!

Except that the Amazon headline promises "A to Z" support for merchants on their website.  If you dig into the small, very small, print that is hidden two clicks deep into the merchant agreement, it says nothing after 30 days.  I accept that they will do nothing "financially" after 30 days, sorta, but I believe that, even after 30 days, they could get the merchant to answer the phone!!!!, especially for their remaining long term customers.

mrschwarz said:
I don't know if this approach would work for you, but it did for me. If the merchant doesn't return emails or phone calls, taking your payment back might get his attention.

WoW!  I didn't think of this approach.  THANKS!!!  I'll try it.

As mentioned earlier, your best recourse is your credit card company.  A charge back will get the merchant's attention and the credit card company is on your side as long as you have a valid complaint.

RV Roamer said:
One of the major advantages of buying by credit card.

Wonder what the time limit for this approach might be?  I can dig it up on the Visa website but maybe someone knows...?

I would think as long as you are in the warranty period you have a good chance at a chargeback.  The sooner the request is submitted, the better of course.  And have good documentation.

One thought.. How was the product shipped and paid for.

1: US mail
2: Other

If 1: Talk to the postmaster at your local post office.

If 2: Ignore this message

End loop

John From Detroit said:
One thought.. How was the product shipped and paid for.

1: US mail
2: Other

If 1: Talk to the postmaster at your local post office.

If 2: Ignore this message

End loop

I think it came UPS but my memory is not as reliable as it used to be...  I used an Amazon account to pay for it via a CC they have on file.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katjarner
Back
Top Bottom