Amsoil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amsoil filters are not the same as wix, they are not even made by wix. Amsoil filters are made by either Champion Labs or Baldwin.
They are made with a wire mesh backed, synthetic microglass filter media, that Amsoil specifies in their filters. They filter at 99% efficiency at 20 microns, which is one of the best in the business. They also are designed with enough dirt holding capacity to last for the longer intervals that Amsoil calls for.
Wix uses a glass enhanced cellulose (wood fiber) media.
Amsoil does distrubute Wix filters as well as their own, to cover applications Amsoil doesnt make a filter for, and for customers running shorter oil change intervals.

Back2PA said:
You forgot toilet paper  ;) ;D
Negative. Bidets are what's popular now. lol

Roy M said:
To each their own but I continue to use brand name dino oil that meets the SAE and API service classification recommended for my vehicle. As far as I am concerned all this hype for Amsoil and other high priced lubricants is all about making money, I have not seen any scientific results that consistently prove otherwise. It's like so called organic food, now there's a marketing scam. Just my 2 cents CAD.
Maybe, but I have personally noticed less carbon buildup inside of my engines using full synthetic vs conventional and there is certainly a difference in starting in extreme cold weather.

My anecdotal evidence and I cannot resist jumping in:

I use Valvoline full synthetic in my small engines. It has been a while but my recall of research I did on the subject years ago was Valvoline full synthetic had a higher grade additive package than most of the others that seemed worth the expense to help protect the hard work these little engines do - most without an oil filter.  There is little doubt for me that Amsoil is just as good if not better - I have not used it.  Pulling on the snowblower to start in sub-freezing weather with the full synthetic is definitely easier - I am a believer.  I also understand the additive packages can change and I have not kept up on the more recent research.

I have used Mobile 1 oil and Mobil 1 oil filters or Baldwin oil filters in my 1970 and 1971 Buicks, both with the 455 cu in engine for over 15 years. No leaks, no more oil consumption than you would expect from a big V-8 of that era - both over 100,000 miles and untouched internally. If anything, I believe my oil consumption decreased with the Mobil 1.

I use the Valvoline High-Mileage synthetic blend and Mobil 1 oil filters in the rest of my vehicles  - I drive old stuff! One example is our TV. The research I did on oil filters I convinced me there is a difference in quality and it is pretty much indicated by the price difference - you get what you pay for. I have always had good results and driven vehicles to over 225,000 miles with no engine oil related problems or any increase in oil consumption.

So...it turns out that Napa has their oil special going on right now. Napa Full Synthetic oil (made by Valvoline) is $3.49/quart. That's pretty hard to beat, even if Amsoil lasts 15k miles. So I think I am going to grab 2 cases of oil. That will be enough for 3 oil changes on my Durango.

IBTripping said:
He's too busy playing with his new guitar to pay attention to anything else.  ;D

At least it's a good excuse  ;) :))

Back
Top Bottom