An ARP module probably saved our fridge today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
We've had a few discussions here about the ARP temperature management module for RV fridges. Basically it monitors the fridge boiler temperature and prevents it from overheating, something that can easily occur if operated off-level or if the cooling unit begins to fail. Today we moved to a gorgeous campground on a mountainside outside of Asheville, NC. We climbed a half mile grade to get ther, and parked by the office to register. The parking area is at a substantial grade, perhaps 8-10%, and we were inside for 20+ minutes chatting about the park and the area. Then we moved to our site, a short distance up a another steep grade. While setting up we noticed that the fridge power was off and our ARP was showing a counter-down on its display. Yeap, our ARP module had detected a boiler overheat and shut it down to prevent damage or fire, and now was waiting for the boiler to cool before resuming normal operation.

I should have realized the risk and turned off the fridge while on those steep grades, but I didn't.  :-[  The ARP, however, was watching out for us and took care of everything. No damage, and the fridge restarted automatically after about 10-12 minutes of cool-down time.

Here is the String on the forum that discusses the ARP system:
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,76090.msg691907.html#msg691907

Ed

Glad to hear it worked as intended and probably saved the RV. We got one a year ago and am glad to have it. This just helps reinforce its purpose.

Gary- which campground did you pull into.  We are planning on staying at Campfire Lodgings over Thanksgiving.  It too hangs off the side of a mountain just out of Asheville. 

I bought and installed the ARP unit in my 5er about 4 weeks ago.  Works like a charm, and it's very reassuring to see that little red LED blinking, letting me know everything is fine.  I occasionally check my boiler temperature too, but that's becoming less and less frequent.  I'm careful not to leave the rig on too much of a slope, but the peace of mind is worth the money I paid for it.  I mounted my display inside the cabin just above the freezer door.  Nice product and excellent customer service and communication.

If doing day trips around Asheville, check out the town of Bat Cave. Pretty scenery and a decent sized waterfall, worth the ride.

[/hijack]

Here is the main ARP website.

http://www.arprv.com/

Basically it is an add-on fridge boiler temperature sensor that monitors the temperature and shuts off power to the heater (whether electric or LP gas) if it exceeds normal operating temperatures (about 360 F.). It then automatically restarts the fridge once it cools a bit. It's main purpose is to protect against accidental off-level operation and other "natural" causes of overheated fridges, but in doing so it also prevents many fridge fires. A failing cooling unit will overheat and the ARP will usually detect that in time to shut it down before a fire occurs. I emphasize "usually" because if a welded joint breaks adjacent to the heater or LP flame and squirts refrigerant onto it, probably nothing is going to stop it from bursting into flames.

Last I checked the MSRP was $135 for the standard ARP and $165 for the new model that provides switching for auxiliary cooling fans as well as boiler protection. At one time they were giving RVForum members a small discount, so you might inquire about that if ordering.

It's easy enough to install if you have basic 12v wiring skills. There are pictures on the website and pretty good instructions as well.

Gary- which campground did you pull into.  We are planning on staying at Campfire Lodgings over Thanksgiving.  It too hangs off the side of a mountain just out of Asheville.

Campfire Lodgings is beautiful - the view from their premium sites is awesome! Their regular sites are also very nice but no view. It's a tiny park (about a dozen sites) and most always full, so there is no discount for weekly or monthly stays.

We are at Mama Gertie's Hideaway, on the east side of Asheville. The premium "view" sites aren't quite as awesome as Campfire Lodgings but the standard sites are nicer and the park has excellent cable tv and wifi, an important feature around here. They are also more reasonably priced for longer term stays

Gary RV Roamer said:
Campfire Lodgings is beautiful - the view from their premium sites is awesome! Their regular sites are also very nice but no view. It's a tiny park (about a dozen sites) and most always full, so there is no discount for weekly or monthly stays.

We are at Mama Gertie's Hideaway, on the east side of Asheville. The premium "view" sites aren't quite as awesome as Campfire Lodgings but the standard sites are nicer and the park has excellent cable tv and wifi, an important feature around here. They are also more reasonably priced for longer term stays

A few days at Yadkinville will offset the amount you pay there.

I just put one in a few weeks ago, thanks to Gary and others on this forum.
It was easy, but I was in a hurry trying to beat a storm, and so I tripped up a little in the directions and had to remake a couple jumper leads and splices (crimping the spade end wire ends), so you might want to make sure you have a crimper and extra of these in the correct size
http://www.eagleday.com/fembladconan.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=18283950120

I found the directions on the web site a bit scattered.... not all in one place.

or better yet, take your time and don't hurry like me  :eek:

I did speak with the owner who said something about an upcoming addition taht would b=make the kit even easier to install.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom