An Exciting Day...Not!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
Well, some would call this an adventure....we call it a "long day" and frustrating.  We live in Kernville about 50 miles east of Bakersfield.  There are no places to have the coach worked on, so it always has to go down to B-field for routine maintenance.  We're planning a trip to Alaska in a couple of weeks and wanted to try to prevent things from happening on the road, thus the preventative maintenance.  It's been down at the Cat shop and the Freightliner shop for over 2 weeks.  It was routine stuff at the Cat shop and a PM3 at freightliner.  The fella at freightliner only works 4-10 hour days Sunday through Wednesday.  Today we drove down to pick it up and take it to the local truck tire dealer to have all new shoes put on, which we ordered several weeks ago.  As my husband pulled out of the freightliner location, I noticed a wire hanging down.  Stopped, had the RV repair guy look and it was nothing.  However as we were driving to the tire place, every time Tim put on the brakes, the coach would pull drastically to the left.  It wasn't doing this before we took it in!!!  <aaarrrggg>  Went onto the tire dealer and while they were replacing tires, Tim called and told freightliner we were coming right back after new tires. 

They had two front tires on the coach and I was just having a look around and noticed how much smaller the tires were than the ones we took off.  Looked closer and found they were not the right size.  They had order the wrong ones.  So, off came the new front tires and back on went our original ones.  It would take a week to get a new order.  Another <aaarrrggg>  However after we calmed down the supervisor came over and told us he was sending some down to pick up new tires and they could put them on on Friday..Ok.  Not how we wanted to do it; but these big tires are hard to find. 

Off we go back to freightliner.  The fella who did our repairs had a look, made a couple of adjustments and off we went with no  more pull. to the left.  Good thing we took it right back, he's done for the week and won't be back until next Sunday AM.  That would have really done us in!

Now we are settled in at Bakersfield RV, had a really nice dinner and everything is somewhat copacetic and calm for the moment.....unless the new tires don't come it.

Marsha~

Murphy's law of combat #38:
No matter which way you have to march, its always uphill.

Jeff
US ARMY
1/75th
1/10 SFG
(If those numbers make sense you know where I'm coming from, if not then it doesn't mater...)

All these stories about tire replacement are scaring me!  Now can it be so hard for a tire-shop person (whom you would think has experience in this) to look at a tire, write the size down, and order replacements?  I guess so!  It makes sense to keep an eye on your tires' condition and order well in advance of when you want to take the RV on any long trips.

At least you got everyone to stand up and take care of things and make them right!

Carl, I have 65 yeras of experience that says " DON'T TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED. Always check it out.

No worries Marsha, there's always "In case of necessity, alternate transportation is available in the form of 1 old horse."

Have a great trip.

I know that sometimes having maintenance done for you is a necessity, but thats why I hate to have anyone else work on my rig. It's never done as well if you had done it yourself. But, that's the nature of the beast. 

Marsha,

Sorry to hear about your problems but I certainly can understand your frustration! :) I hope our "problems" are now over but I won't bet on it. Only a couple hundred miles, or so, to go. Then there's the return trip!

I am so jealous Marsha. It will be a few years before I go to Alaska. My plan is to take the ferry up and drive the AlCan home.

Marsha - I'm sure if you were here at the Moab rally you would qualify for one of the awards.  Wait, maybe Jim Dick qualifies MORE!  :-\  Maybe we should rename one of the awards to ARRAAGGHH!

Tom - We took the ferry from Prince Rupert to Skagway, drove around Alaska, and then drove the Alcan back.  Super trip!  Hope you get to do it one of these days.  You're gonna love the eagles up there.  ;)

ArdraF

Marsha - Sorry to hear about your current problems but sure better in Bakersfield than in Alaska !

Happy travels
Wendy

ArdraF said:
Tom - We took the ferry from Prince Rupert to Skagway, drove around Alaska, and then drove the Alcan back.  Super trip!  Hope you get to do it one of these days.  You're gonna love the eagles up there.  ;)

I am so excited about taking the ferry. Your trip sounds fantastic. You must have had a great time. There are a lot of birds that fly only above the ocean that you will never see on shore. So I am anxious to photograph all these cool birds. That would include albatrosses, boobies (hey uptight moderators, a booby is a legitimate species of bird, so get your mind out of the gutter), petrels, shearwaters and the like. Unless I start doing a few ocean voyages I will never get a chance to photograph them or see them.

Marsha/CA said:
Now we are settled in at Bakersfield RV, had a really nice dinner and everything is somewhat copacetic and calm for the moment.....unless the new tires don't come it.

Marsha~
With a nice red I hope :)

Ardra and Tom, we plan to do the ferry to Skagway too.  There is another ferry we plan to take but at the moment I can't remember where.  We're also planning on a trip to Kodiak Island.

Marc....more than 1 glass of nice red...... ::)

Marsha~

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldgal
Back
Top Bottom