An invasion of mice in moterhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan lutterman

I have a 2007 fleetwood class A motorhome. I recrently gained a mouse infestaion. I have located an entrance point into the basement area , but cannot find how they get into the moterhome itself. They got into EVERYTHING. ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

You will never find the hole(s). A mouse can squeeze through a hole as small as the end of your little finger. Just poison the snot out of everything and hope for the best.

They chew their way in.... A product like a Roach killer "Fogger" might croak 'em but now you've got dead bodies. (And I'm not sure about which type of Fogger is best) You may need to fog the basement too.

Mice is one problem I did not have as I hired a couple of professional mouse eradactors. Amber and Alex Cats... For some reason the mice did not want to join them for dinner.. or is that as dinner?

Go with a mouse bucket trap. Put peanut butter on the bottles near the center and put a ramp so they can climb up. If you are in a warm climate, just put 6” of water in the bucket. If you are in a cold climate, use 3 or 4 gallons of pink antifreeze. I used two bottles on this trap because that’s all I could find at the time. You can use most anything. Just make sure it spins freely

Attachments

• IMG_0688.jpeg
    IMG_0688.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 6
You will never find the hole(s). A mouse can squeeze through a hole as small as the end of your little finger. Just poison the snot out of everything and hope for the best.
And hope they don't die in a place you cannot access. Most poisons will make the critter seek water, BUT.

The bucket trap or traps where you can remove them are best. If they die in the walls etc they will smell for a long time.

Also I hope they haven't chewed wiring. I'm not sure if there's a way to check that.

Last edited:
The first thing that must be dones it to remove all traces of food from the RV, wash all surfaces that have been in contact with foodstuffs. Mice nest where food and water is nearby.

One time I found mice inside our MH. I dropped TomCat mouse poison down every wiring and plumbing hole in the floor, whice got it in between the main and sub-floor. This puts the poison out of reach by pets and small children.
Contrary to what most people think, they do not give off a strong odor when killed by the poison, It causes them to hemorrhage internally, this makes them very thirsty so they go in search of water, which is outside the MH or building.
Do not use the marble-sized bait because mice carry it to their nesting places to store instead of eating where found. I use the 1" sq x 2" long blocks.
Once in a while I'll find a dead mouse on the floor of my garage, but I've never found a dead one inside the MH.

Go with a mouse bucket trap. Put peanut butter on the bottles near the center and put a ramp so they can climb up. If you are in a warm climate, just put 6” of water in the bucket. If you are in a cold climate, use 3 or 4 gallons of pink antifreeze. I used two bottles on this trap because that’s all I could find at the time. You can use most anything. Just make sure it spins freely
But they are so inhumane! LOL

I found that when I stored my 5th wheel in a grassy spot, I had a minor mouse problem. Now I store mine at my son's house on a gravel parking area and no problem. I do throw a few blocks of mouse food under the camper they disappear by spring.

Keeping the mice out is difficult but it can be improved by using steel wool to pack into all openings where things like plumbing and electrical wires pass through the underside. Also stuff the area around the power cord if it is out. The power cord is a major route for mouse intrusion.

The whole point is to plug the holes, anyway you can. Nothing else works to keep mice out. Nothing.

The whole point is to plug the holes, anyway you can. Nothing else works to keep mice out. Nothing.
I'm not sure if that's even possible. As it was said, they are determined critters and they can squeeze through almost any cranny, defying the laws of physics.

The one thing it worked for me to keep them out is this.

I was sceptical, but they really work. The only caveat is that you need an AC outlet to power them.

This is total fake news. You obviously don't have any real-life experience with mouse-proofing. Ultrasonic devices are proven to NOT work. As are, dryer sheets, soap, hot peppers, moth balls, fresh cab, etc. It's pure bunk.

Consult a channel like Shawn Woods on YouTube to see what works. Lots of other resources too.

The ONLY thing that will keep mice out is to plug the holes with steel, brass, or copper mesh, and foam the holes closed. It is possible, I have done it myself several times, and just did it with my new camper. You just have to be diligent with searching out all of the entrances to the trailer.

I have spent a lifetime fighting mice entering my cabin and my campers. I know what works and what is waste of time. There is no magic solution. Only elbow grease.

This is total fake news. You obviously don't have any real-life experience with mouse-proofing. Ultrasonic devices are proven to NOT work. As are, dryer sheets, soap, hot peppers, moth balls, fresh cab, etc. It's pure bunk.

Consult a channel like Shawn Woods on YouTube to see what works. Lots of other resources too.

The ONLY thing that will keep mice out is to plug the holes with steel, brass, or copper mesh, and foam the holes closed. It is possible, I have done it myself several times, and just did it with my new camper. You just have to be diligent with searching out all of the entrances to the trailer.

I have spent a lifetime fighting mice entering my cabin and my campers. I know what works and what is waste of time. There is no magic solution. Only elbow grease.
It's very easy to disqualify or label as "fake news" something that it's been scientifically proven (i.e., that some animals are repelled by certain sound frecuencies that aren't audible to humans) - nothing "magic" about that.

I'm not trying to sell anything or do advertising for any particular product. I'm just sharing my experience with this device, and how it could be beneficial to the OP or any other member of this site who could be having a problem with mice infestations.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVMan78
Back
Top Bottom