another Carlise tire question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimiv

Hello,  I have three questions,
1.  I have a 2005 Wildwood 27 BH travel trailer.  The stock tires on it are 205/75/15d and they are ready to be replaced.  My trailer drags alittle when I pull out of my drive.  Could I replace them with 225/75/15 to get a little more height? 

2.It seems like alot of people say they wouldn't use Carilse tires.  What do you guy's recommend or what do brand are they putting on new trailers now since it seems like theres only a few differant kind out there.

3.Other than being really cracked on the outside, one of my stock Carlisle tires wore only in a channel on the inside and not at all on the edge.  Does anybody know what this could be from ?

Thanks for the help in advance, I know this is alot to ask but tires are important to me as well as expensive.

Attachments

• DSC03660.JPG
    DSC03660.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 03-23-09_1642.jpg
    03-23-09_1642.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 50
Well I'll be the first to wade into this one.  I have an '05 28A Cherokee and have had 2 blow outs with Carlise tires.  The first one happened just out of warrantee (of course!) and the 2nd one happened last fall.  The 2nd one tore up my trailer and caused about two thousand dollars worth of damage.  Let me stress that the TT was not overloaded and I have always maintained proper PSI.

I replaced all 4 tires with Goodyear Marathons which have much better reviews than the Carlise but my next tires will be the MAXX tires.  Where as Carlise and the Marathons use 50 lbs PSI, the MAXX tires require 70 lbs PSI and I suppose that is because they have stronger side walls and more steel belts.
I would not wait until a blow out to replace your tires.  It'll ruin your vacation and potentially cost $$$ to repair.

Which brings up another another point slightly off subject, insurance.  Auto insurance covers collision and liability for any towing accidents, it does not cover repair for  any other type of damage that may happen to your TT.  That is a separate policy and I learned this fact the hard way!  DHOH!...Guess I should have known.

I can't answer the bigger tires raising your TT question, but I hope my 2 cents helped you out none the less.
Happy camping

Wow, I also have a 05 Cherokee 28A.  After reading your post, I think I will go ahead and replace my TT tires before our next trip.  They only have about 6500 miles on them and look great.  Being only 4 yrs old, I wouldn't have expected a problem yet but with your experience, I think I'll play it safe.

My main concern is the wear on that one tire.  Anybody ever have that kinda of wear thats in the pic?  A TT repair place said it could of been because they arn't balenced from the factory and that a bent axle would wear only on one edge of the tire.

Lowell said:
Wow, I also have a 05 Cherokee 28A.  After reading your post, I think I will go ahead and replace my TT tires before our next trip.  They only have about 6500 miles on them and look great.  Being only 4 yrs old, I wouldn't have expected a problem yet but with your experience, I think I'll play it safe.

I would not hesitate to change them out.  I always inspect the tires while adjusting air pressure and none of them looked bad the day before our ill fated trip last fall.  The tech showed me another one of the tires he took off while we were in the shop in Chattanooga and though it looked good you could feel the belts poking up through the tread.  Yea, so that made the 3rd tire that would have blown since purchasing our TT.  We were lucky our blow out was only a couple of miles from Shipps, and they fixed us up which allowed us to have a fall break instead of limping home.

Off subject but, how do you like your 28A plus?  Ours gets 4 -5 weeks use a year with 2 teenagers and we have really enjoyed it.  Its a little cheaply made but seems to be holding up very well.

I'm definitely going to get new tires (still haven't decided on what kind yet) I just don't want to spend all that money to find this wear happends to my new tires also.

Thanks for everyones help and opinions.

The tire in the picture is toed inward too much (wearing most on the outer edge), which often means a bent wheel or axle on a trailer. If the opposite  wheel is wearing on the inner edge, then the whole axle is skewed a bit and simply needs to be aligned. If the other side is wearing normally, then I would suspect a bent axle.  Balance does not cause that kind of wear.

It doesn't look too severe, tho.

I had a horse trailer where the tire wear looked just like the one in your picture.  It was a bent axle.  I had the axle straightened and never had the problem after that.

Marsha~

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom