Another member of the broken down brigade...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary,

Just an FYI; there is a mobile RV repair guy in Ellsworth who is very reasonable (came out - two trips -and fixed a shear pin on our LR slide for $100). I don't recall the name, but he was recommended by the Narrows Too staff (I believe they had his cards).

Ernie

We got out of the site ok and are now ensconced in our site at Narrows Too (#736) with friends Mike & Caroline Wassing (those who were at the last SE Rally met them).  The staff at the campground was happy to see us, but not happy enough to give any credit for the 5 days we were late, even though the park is nowhere near full.  Not that I expected any - big, corporate run parks have policies rather than mercy! But we are glad to be here.

So glad you are in your spot. Say hello to Mike and Caroline for us.
I also will be a week later, no refund, however, they did ask if they could put a rig on my site as they couldn't move. Tomorrow we will get to the campground and I will see who gets paid for that, any guesses?

ChiefM:

I have seen those sites, but I have a problem with.  You buy those and they are delivered, now go and find someplace to install them.  Isn't that liking bringing a 1/2 dozen eggs to a restaurant and asking them to cook them for you.

ALK

BLAKDUKE said:
Isn't that liking bringing a 1/2 dozen eggs to a restaurant and asking them to cook them for you.

No, not really. The restaurant would make about $3 doing that for you. The tire shop is going to charge you full price for mount, balance and stems. For their labor they are going to make anywhere from $100 to $200.  They will do that all day and not complain. 

BLAKDUKE said:
ChiefM:

I have seen those sites, but I have a problem with.  You buy those and they are delivered, now go and find someplace to install them.  Isn't that liking bringing a 1/2 dozen eggs to a restaurant and asking them to cook them for you.

I don't know about others but Tire Rack usually has a local shop that will install for you.  They usually charge the same for mounting as if you had bought the tires at the shop.  There are a couple of shops locally that install "your" tires.

Gary,  I'm glad your issue was a pretty simple one and easily fixed.  Best of luck for the rest of the trip!  Hope it's without incident.

Cost me $150 for the house call (travel time is paid too), but I was happy to write a check that small!  One Allison tech I contacted told me that if it was not a loose wire, it was a bad Allison ECU, which I hear runs upwards of $2000!

Gary

Sound like I can join the group.. Bad turbo about $1200.00 labor, turbo about $5000.00.

Plus whatever they find after they tear it down. I have Choice Care, full coverage, but have not notified them yet till he gets it all apart. To give a estimate. Shipping on turbo is over $300.00 unless I want snail delivery (a week).

Jim

Wow, talk about dodging the bullet Gary!

Bummer Jim, let us know what the results are.  $5000 seems way steep for a turbo.  Have you shopped it out on line at all?  What motor is in your 36G?

You know Sarge I would not have a clue how to shop for one, he did say he was getting it from Cummings.  They are a Cummings shop, and they come highly recommend from Members of several camping clubs on LI.

Problem on Long Island every thing is expensive. 

We are leaving for New Orleans in August, and Alaska next June.  I want this fixed right.  I had a Coachman Class C for over ten years and always kept up on the maint.  Knock on wood never had a breakdown. Traveled all over the country..

Did have belts on rear tires separate, but that was the worse surprise. 

Will keep you informed love your blog.  Much insight for next year.

Jim

Tin man said:
Will keep you informed love your blog.  Much insight for next year.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I appreciate that.

Most of the small line Cummins engines use a turbo from a company named "Holset".  To shop around on line you would just need to know the size of your motor, ISB, ISC ect. and what the HP rating of the motor is IE 350 or 360 HP. 

All this chat just reinforces that I bought the perfect truck :) 2000 F-350 diesel. Just enough electronics to make it modern, but easy enough for me to fix anything on the truck myself (I keep a set of factory service manuals on hand when towing the RV).

Not knocking other rigs, but I'm not sure I'd want a current generation of any trucks or RV's at this point. I've been called both cheap and thrifty, sometimes in the same sentence.

My skills are limited.. I will attempt to repair certain items, but I do not have the skills or the shop to repair the beast myself..

As any mechanical device it will break down..proper maintenance will prevent many roadside emergencies.

Why did this happen I do know, poor production  bad day on the line? possible, but these thing happen..

I still believe we build quality products in this country, and still set the standard for the industry.

You are not cheep if you have the skills to repair your Ford. Actually you are quite talented. Read how Sarge crawled under his MH and found out what the problem was found it and fixed it. I would still be on the phone with GS road service.  Unless I was traveling with you or Sarge.

Jim

ttyR2 said:
All this chat just reinforces that I bought the perfect truck :) 2000 F-350 diesel. Just enough electronics to make it modern, but easy enough for me to fix anything on the truck myself (I keep a set of factory service manuals on hand when towing the RV).

Not knocking other rigs, but I'm not sure I'd want a current generation of any trucks or RV's at this point. I've been called both cheap and thrifty, sometimes in the same sentence.

Although, this one is newer, and maybe a different motor, all vehicles are subject to breakdown.  http://www.rv-dreams-journal.com/2012/07/truck-in-the-emergency-room-buffalo-wy.html

Paul

Gary RV Roamer said:
TJ Copeland, of Copeland's Garage in Warren, ME, arrived here at 8:03 and found and fixed the problem by 8:15. Loose wire in a connector to a relay panel that feeds signals to the transmission controller. I had wiggled wires in that area for the last three days and never touched the right one. Of course, it helps when you know what you are doing!
Glad it worked out OK, Gary - at a reasonable fee to get you back on the road. I wasn't so lucky, but others have had it worse than mine. Am now filing receipts and such to see how well Progressive responds.

I was also lucky that when my tranny went south there was a rest area within sight on the 5 freeway whereas 2 hours before that I would have been only half way down the Tehachapi grade East of Bakersfield. I also found 5 bars on my phone and several truckers that helped me decide what my problem was and the closest truck help I might find. Traffic on the 5 was light on the 4th, but that also caused a higher price for the roadside help.

Back
Top Bottom