Another old war story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We were just the taxi drivers. You guys did the work.
Well, we were called "grunts" for a reason. But your job was more dangerous. Most of the time when we were getting shot at, it was when the supply choppers were trying to land in our little LZ on the very top of the hill at various locations. I can imagine how many times your chopper has been shot at, while you're in there. I assume it was the norm to have a few bullet holes in those Hueys here and there.

-Don- Reno, NV

I'm pleasantly surprised, too, Lou. I tried three of them with various manual adjustments and couldn't beat what you got, but there really wasn't much to work with.

I was going to write a story and I got out my old Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association (VHPA) directory. I found this entry about two of my room mates from flight school.

When we arrived in Viet Nam we were assigned to the same unit up north but at the last minute they sent me down south to the 7/1st. I would have been in the same classroom with Venditti and Vashon otherwise.

I do not remember posting the information to the VHPA site 20 years ago.

I am just posting it along with a link to a book about the incident.

VENDITTI NICHOLAS LOUIS

Name: WO1 Nicholas Louis Venditti
Status: Killed In Action from an incident on 07/10/1969 while performing the duty of Pilot.
Died 5 days later on 07/15/1969.
Age at death: 20.6
Date of Birth: 11/26/1948
Home City: Malvern, PA
Service: AV branch of the reserve component of the U.S. Army.
Unit: HHC 16 CAG 23 INF
Major organization: Americal Division
Flight class: 69-13
Service: AV branch of the U.S. Army.
The Wall location: 20W-003
Short Summary: Killed by a "dud" grenade thrown by an instructor during orientation training at LZ Bayonet south of Chu Lai. Vachon also killed.
Service number: W3164755
MOS: 004A = Duties Unassigned or In Transit
Primary cause: Ground Casualty
Compliment cause: grenades
Started Tour: 07/03/1969
"Official" listing: ground casualty

Additional information about this casualty:

My cousin was Warrant Officer Nicholas L. Venditti, 20, from Malvern, Pa. He and about two dozen other men were in a classroom the morning of July 10, 1969, at LZ Bayonet, about 3,000 yards south of Chu Lai, when an instructor flung a grenade at them. It was supposed to be a dud, but it exploded. Nicky died five days later. One of his best friends, WO Wilbur J. Vachon III, died two days after Nicky. SP5 Timothy T. Williams died instantly. About 10 other soldiers were wounded, including the instructor. Nicky and Vachon were with the 16th Combat Aviation Group. Williams was a quartermaster with the 26th Engineer Battalion.
See http://www.davidvenditta.com/ David Venditta NOTE: My last name is spelled differently from Nicky's. It's a quirk of the family. Vinditti and Vachon.

I must have written this comment about Venditti and Vachon 20 years ago on the VHPA website.

They were both room mates of mine thru flight school class 69-13. We never called each other by our first names. We were assigned four to a room alphabetically and my last name is Waugh. I thought it was unusual that they were assigned to the same unit in Viet Nam after having gone all the way thru flight school together. It is even more tragic that they died from the same senseless incident. I wish that my memory was better and that I could relate some happy story about our time together in flight school, but it has been over 36 years since those days. I can tell their families that I was proud to have been their room mate. I would also state that in effect all causalities of war are accidents. Their sacrifice is no less because of a terrible accident that if they had been shot by the enemy or perished in a aircraft crash. Bill Waugh Class 69-13

VHPA link

Web site(s) refering to this casualty:
http://www.davidvenditta.com/

Reason: other accident
Casualty type: Non-hostile - died illness or injuries
single male U.S. citizen
Race: Caucasian
Religion: Roman Catholic
Burial information: PHILADELPHIA MEMORIAL PARK, FRAZER, PA
The following information secondary, but may help in explaining this incident.
Category of casualty as defined by the Army: non-battle dead Category of personnel: active duty Army Military class: warrant officer
This record was last updated on 04/26/2002

Link to the book about this incident.

VACHON WILBUR JOSEPH III​

Name: WO1 Wilbur Joseph Vachon III
Status: Killed In Action from an incident on 07/10/1969 while performing the duty of Pilot.
Died 7 days later on 07/17/1969.
Age at death: 21.9
Date of Birth: 09/05/1947
Home City: Portland, ME
Service: AV branch of the reserve component of the U.S. Army.
Unit: HHC 16 CAG 23 INF
Major organization: Americal Division
Flight class: 69-13
Service: AV branch of the U.S. Army.
The Wall location: 20W-012
Short Summary: Killed by a "dud" grenade thrown by an instructor during orientation training at LZ Bayonet south of Chu Lai. Venditti also killed.
Service number: W3164754
MOS: 004A = Duties Unassigned or In Transit
Primary cause: Ground Casualty
Compliment cause: grenades
Started Tour: 07/03/1969
"Official" listing: ground casualty

Additional information about this casualty:
Vinditti and Vachon. They were both room mates of mine thru flight school class 69-13. We never called each other by our first names. We were assigned four to a room alphabetically and my last name is Waugh. I thought it was unusual that they were assigned to the same unit in Viet Nam after having gone all the way thru flight school together. It is even more tragic that they died from the same senseless incident. I wish that my memory was better and that I could relate some happy story about our time together in flight school, but it has been over 36 years since those days. I can tell their families that I was proud to have been their room mate. I would also state that in effect all causalities of war are accidents. Their sacrifice is no less because of a terrible accident that if they had been shot by the enemy or perished in a aircraft crash. Bill Waugh Class 69-13
Reason: other accident
Casualty type: Non-hostile - died illness or injuries
married male U.S. citizen
Race: Caucasian
Religion: Roman Catholic
Burial information: CALVARY CEMETERY, SOUTH PORTLAND, ME
The following information secondary, but may help in explaining this incident.
Category of casualty as defined by the Army: non-battle dead Category of personnel: active duty Army Military class: warrant officer
This record was last updated on 04/26/2002

This information is available on CD-ROM.

Additional information is available on KIAs at http://www.coffeltdatabase.org

Please send additions or corrections to: The VHPA Webmaster Gary Roush.

KIA statistics

Return to the Helicopter Pilot KIA name list

Return to the KIA panel date index

Date posted on this site: 05/16/2021

Last edited:
I enjoy your stories. Often wonder what if it was me. I was 4F due to hearing loss when I tried to enlist in the Navy when my low lottery number came up, can't remember what it was.

I still remember the guy coming in the sound booth screaming "You in booth xx, xxx and 8! YOU PUSH that Button and HOLD that button when you hear a SOUND!"

After it was over I was told "If you go to your doctor and have him give you a hearing test maybe you will be qualified." Only later about 12 years ago I got hearing aids because my oldest grandson is so soft spoken.

The Navy idea wasn't greatest for a guy I met later. He enlisted in the Navy and ships to basic. Finally after much yelling and screaming they get lined up. Someone comes down the line and thumps a bunch of them on the chest. "One step forward." Next order was "Follow me men, you're in the Marines now!"

He made it back but still has nightmares, not as often and drinks a lot less.

Update:

I just got an interesting phone call from a fellow named Scott L Reda.

He called me after I responded earlier today to an email from his assistant, Sophia M Staskowski about contributing to a program about the Vietnam War.

I had responded to a similar request back in 2014 asking for video footage.

I think that it would be an honor and a fun thing to do to participate in the project. I do enjoy relating the old stories.

I found an old reel of video footage in my Mom's things after she died. I am not sure what is on it but I know that it is not anything bad.

I found an old reel of video footage in my Mom's things after she died. I am not sure what is on it but I know that it is not anything bad.

There are places that will digitize old media.

My brother bought a cassette tape converter for his PC recently and found an old "mail" tape the family made for my sister from 1977. Remember when we made cassette tapes and mailed them?

It was really weird to hear all the siblings chatting over each other. Like ghosts from the past but very cool to listen to. We were talking about getting my dad's Blanik Sailplane ready for the Torrey Pines Sailplane competition. Dad passed in 2009 so it was nice to hear his voice again.

I then found a bunch of photos we took of the meet. Audio and photographic evidence - It must have happened - LOL...

I was rereading this thread and realized that I had not posted about the 8MM film that I sent to the documentary production company.

They converted the original film to DVD and sent me back the film and a couple of DVDs.

My old room mate Mike Phillips is also in the video so I sent him a copy and told him to show his grandchildren.

About a month ago when Pam and Kevin were here I showed it to them.

I was rereading this thread and realized that I had not posted about the 8MM film that I sent to the documentary production company.

They converted the original film to DVD and sent me back the film and a couple of DVDs.

My old room mate Mike Phillips is also in the video so I sent him a copy and told him to show his grandchildren.

About a month ago when Pam and Kevin were here I showed it to them.
And to us. It was very moving. We were privileged to see it

Finally after much yelling and screaming they get lined up. Someone comes down the line and thumps a bunch of them on the chest. "One step forward." Next order was "Follow me men, you're in the Marines now!"
I graduated HS in 1969. We were bused from Daytona Beach to Jacksonville for our draft physicals. They put us up in some old wooden Army barracks and fed us powdered eggs for breakfast. We were administered the ASVAB after breakfast. Then on to the physical portion. I remember two guys were pulled out of the ASVAB testing for inappropriate behavior. We were later told they were now in the Army on a bus headed to boot camp. During our physical we’re handed a strip of litmus paper and told to pee on it. I have a shy kidney and have a hard time peeing in public. The bathrooms had trough urinals. I stood there while two or three different groups filed through. I looked to my right where a huge, in stature, black guy was peeing buckets. I held up my litmus paper and asked “Do you mind.” He peed on it and I took it up front and the Navy corpsman said I was good to go. When we were finished they lined us up in a long hallway. A Marine appeared and told us if he tapped you on the shoulder to step out of line. You were now a Marine and headed to Paris Island. He tapped the guy behind me and the guy in front of me. That’s the only VN story I have.

It was Hassenger. We all really respected him. He made sure that the crew were always taken care of.

He was an older Officer, of course as I was just 20. they were all older.

My opinion is that most officers above field grade were decent or they would not have made it that far, although there are always exceptions

In the late 1990s, I took one of my Mobile Surgery Units to Fort Detrick, Maryland and the aide to the commanding general was his grandson.

I also sometimes flew with David Hackworth. There are lots of stories about him and he led from the front.

I’m familiar with Col. Hackworth. I was Capt. Bruce Mauldin’s driver in the 15th Cav at Ft Benning in ‘75. His dad was Bill Mauldin the Stars and Stripes WWII “Willie and Joe” cartoonist. His son Bruce flew Cobra’s in Vietnam and in the Yom Kippur War in ‘73 ( yes we were there). He was doing his command time so he could move up to Major.

Could not sleep and an old memory slipped into my mind.

I remember all the details of this story vividly as if it were yesterday.

I was told years later that it actually happened to a different pilot. and that may somehow be true. However I know that the first part is definitely true and I can still see the second part in my mind.

To set the stage:

Most senior pilots or Aircraft Commanders choose to fly in the right seat of a Huey. The main reason is that the most important control is the Cyclic. It is like a big joystick and controls tilting up, down, right and left.

I almost always flew in the right seat.

If you had an emergency, especially if you were flying low level between the trees, you would want to keep your right hand on the cyclic.

If you had an emergency flying in the left seat you would have to put your left hand on the cyclic to use your right hand to reach the center console to do such things as click the radio to the emergency guard frequency for a Mayday call. This might only take a few seconds but it could be critical. especially in nape of the earth flying.

Now, the actual story.

A new replacement, fresh out of flight school was assigned to me for a C and C ,mission. (Command and Control).

This young Warrant Officer was Donald Glen Lukens.

He told me that he had always flown in the right seat in flight school and he felt very awkward in the left seat. He was very stressed with all the new experiences and the fear of being in Viet Nam.

I told him that he could fly the mission in the right seat as he
was so new to this.

This is the first part of the story . I am absolutely sure of it.

I was told years later that the following part of the story happened to another Aircraft Commander, and not in fact with me in the left seat.

The end of this story.

During this mission a 51 caliber shell came thru his door and killed him and went thru the plexiglass canopy in front of me.

He was in my seat.

Attachments

• 20231008_022312.jpg
    20231008_022312.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231008_022332.jpg
    20231008_022332.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 12
Not a war story but... In the late 80's I was based in the Philippines as the senior on-site field engineer. One of my since then life long friends Jeff had the weekend off and was going to fly a little twin turbo prop flight to Baguio, from Manila with his (since then) life long wife. They had just started dating. Baguio was up in the mountains and was a cool respite from the heat of Manila.

As it turned out the airline (Philippine Airlines) had several back to back engine and aircraft issues and things were crazy. I was the bad guy and had to cancel his trip.

This was the days pre-GPS and while the pilots were good things didn't always work out. There was low fog and the pilot was below the mountain, turned up the wrong valley and the climb capability of the plane was defeated by the dead end. The plane crashed and all on board died.

I don'[t have any idea why these things happen but Jeff and Brenne really dodged one that day.

1696768214223.png

Thanks to Jackiemac I can put an old nightmare to rest.

I have carried around some "Survivors Guilt" for over 50 years about Don's death.

Jackie found a more detailed after action report that I had never seen that gives a more complete accounting of the incident.

I was accurate on the fact that he flew with me when he first came in country and asked me to let him fly in the right seat, but it was not me that was with him on the day he died.

His death occurred in the same location, (Chi Lang), as the place where I was shot down with the two VIPs in the back.

Thanks to Jackie I can at least partially put that old nightmare to rest

This is the link she sent me.

She wrote:

I found this which might be of interest to you.

Jackie x

Thanks Jackie.

Back
Top Bottom