Another Rollover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That does look like a small SUV, like a Blazer or something similar.  That is a bit small for a bigger trailer.

I do still feel that as long as you stay within your tow vehicles limits, you will be ok provided your trailer is set up and loaded correctly with correct hitch weight, weight distribution and sway control.  If you hop in your tow vehicle and hook up to a trailer and feel its ok just because the vehicle can handle the weights, you are asking for trouble unless you do things correctly in making sure the trailer  is balanced correctly.  Another thing that makes a big difference is the drivers abilities and confidence level.  A driver who just hops in and goes without thinking of what can happen and how to react , etc......could get themselves in trouble.  There are plenty of people towing 30-33 foot trailers without any issue or problems because they take the time to do things right.  You can get yourself in trouble and have accidents using any tow vehicle.  As with most things in life, proper planning is a big part of what your doing, if you want to do it safely.

RobD70 said:
That does look like a small SUV, like a Blazer or something similar.  That is a bit small for a bigger trailer.

I was thinking the same thing.....If you Zoom in on the picture it looks like the TV has a WD hitch with sway control installed. I can't help but wonder if was setup correctly. I've walk up to camper in a parking lot to talk to the owner about his rig setup. When I saw his WD chains were very loose. I ask about them and he replied it rode better that way...

Of course we still don't know what happened. 

RobD70 said:

I do still feel that as long as you stay within your tow vehicles limits, you will be ok provided your trailer is set up and loaded correctly with correct hitch weight, weight distribution and sway control.  If you hop in your tow vehicle and hook up to a trailer and feel its ok just because the vehicle can handle the weights, you are asking for trouble unless you do things correctly in making sure the trailer  is balanced correctly.  Another thing that makes a big difference is the drivers abilities and confidence level.  A driver who just hops in and goes without thinking of what can happen and how to react , etc......could get themselves in trouble.  There are plenty of people towing 30-33 foot trailers without any issue or problems because they take the time to do things right.  You can get yourself in trouble and have accidents using any tow vehicle.  As with most things in life, proper planning is a big part of what your doing, if you want to do it safely.
'' stay within your tow vehicles limits '' this is the catch right here !. tons of folks either get lied too from dealers ?, or..they just decide to push the limits ?. either way its not safe. yes..there are plenty of folks pulling 30-33ft trailers ?, but are they doing it safely is the real question ?!. and yes, a lot depends on the driver, but I would want to be behind some one pulling a trailer with a TV that is the correct truck before being behind some one pulling a TT with a TV that was pushing the limits of said truck any day !.

alan6051964 said:
zooming in, that looks like a ford explorer suv too me ?.

I agree... at first I thought Expedition (still a 1/2 ton) but it does appear to be an Explorer. I don't think there are any V8 options in that body style either. The TT appears to be perhaps a shorter 22-25' model, but impossible to say for sure and/or know its weight. Still, anything bigger than a popup or or small hybrid TT would be a stretch for a midsize short-wheelbase SUV.

I've always said "towing is more about stopping than pulling". Example (exaggerated of course): You can tow a 42' 5th wheel with a 4cyl Ford Ranger in first gear all day long. But take that thing down a steep hill and try to stop for that little kid chasing his puppy or his ball, it Ain't happening.

skydivemark said:
I've always said "towing is more about stopping than pulling". Example (exaggerated of course): You can tow a 42' 5th wheel with a 4cyl Ford Ranger in first gear all day long. But take that thing down a steep hill and try to stop for that little kid chasing his puppy or his ball, it Ain't happening.

They put brakes on the trailer...why not use them ?

I have a friend that pulled a 25' cabin cruiser boat on a trailer weighing 8,200 lbs. from the California coast to Joplin Mo.

He safely pulled that boat and trailer over the Sierra Nevada and the Rocky mountains ....in a little Toyota Tacoma pickup truck.

He was stopped by Highway Patrols in every state he went through, they all just told him to get out of state as soon as possible and please be careful.. :D   

if you drive smart you can do anything.

HappyWanderer said:
^ There's a huge difference between being safe and being lucky.

Well, He was a professional CDL truck driver.

so,  I think driving is like any talent...  The more you practice,  the luckier you are.

:)

sightseers said:
They put brakes on the trailer...why not use them ?
good question !, but..even with the trailer brakes hooked up and working, how long do you think those brakes on a 30ft trailer is going to last shoving a 4cy truck down a 6 degree mountain ?, better yet..when those brakes do give up the brake ghost, how long do you think it will take to shove that small truck down the mountain ?, because I know for a fact..sooner or later, even with brakes on both the TV and TT..ONE OF THEM..OR BOTH ?!..is going to give out, and then you have a very bad wreck..and it won't be pretty !.

you are right,  when trailer brakes go out it's not fun.

I was riding a F800 Ford truck pulling a loaded 20 foot flatbed trailer when the trailer brakes didn't work....... we came around a curve and plowed into 4 cars stopped on the freeway in front of us.

That very large diesel truck could not get it stopped without the trailer brakes,  that heavy trailer just pushed us into all 4 cars.

Can you imagine this truck trying to get stopped without trailer brakes ??  :D

Attachments

• triple.jpg
    triple.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 22
sightseers said:
you are right,  when trailer brakes go out it's not fun.

I was riding a F800 Ford truck pulling a loaded 20 foot flatbed trailer when the trailer brakes didn't work....... we came around a curve and plowed into 4 cars stopped on the freeway in front of us.

That very large diesel truck could not get it stopped without the trailer brakes,  that heavy trailer just pushed us into all 4 cars.

Can you imagine this truck trying to get stopped without trailer brakes ??  :D
yep, I know what your saying !. pulling a trailer..and stopping it are two different things !..lol.

You can stop a 40 foot toyhauler  .......with a Sears riding lawnmower

as long as it has the proper trailer brake controller.

sightseers said:
You can stop a 40 foot toyhauler  .......with a Sears riding lawnmower    as long as it has the proper trailer brake controller.

No, you can't.

In a panic stop, the weight and momentum of the trailer are going to keep pushing the tow vehicle forward.

I was fortunate to survive three different panic stops towing my fifth wheel without hitting anything; each time an idiot cut in front of me from a side street. It's a weird sensation to have the trailer brakes locked while the truck's anti-lock brakes are pulsing. Each time, I was just along for the ride as the trailer pushed me down the road.

But were you driving a Sears riding lawnmower?  ;)

HappyWanderer said:
No, you can't.

In a panic stop, the weight and momentum of the trailer are going to keep pushing the tow vehicle forward.

I was fortunate to survive three different panic stops towing my fifth wheel without hitting anything; each time an idiot cut in front of me from a side street. It's a weird sensation to have the trailer brakes locked while the truck's anti-lock brakes are pulsing. Each time, I was just along for the ride as the trailer pushed me down the road.

HappyWanderer said:
No, you can't.

if the wheels on a 15k lb. trailer are locked up and skiding...what make you think the brakes on a 7.500 lb. pickup truck is gonna stop it ?

Trailers axles are required by law to have brakes rated to stop the total GVW of the trailer.

The GVW/size and the brakes of the tow vehicle,  has very little to do with stopping of all the weight carried on a trailer.

they used to disconnect the front brakes on semi trucks so they would not lose steering control when all the other brakes are locked up. 

the anit-lock systems do all that now days, if it comes on the whole rig is doing the best it can to stop...

it doesn't always stop in time no mater how big a truck it is.

If I'm understanding the "Flavor" of what I'm reading here... I think we're missing something ?

The Brakes on a trailer or towed vehicle should Never Lock Up. They should be [adjusted] so they [Assist] the [Tow vehicle] in slowing, or stopping the [combined] "Rig"... as needed for the situation and need.

Having said that... Today's Trucks and Motor Homes have Anti-Lock (Anti-Skid) Braking Systems that provide [Proportional] braking... a given ?  That's where having enough tow vehicle, with enough braking capability (and GVWR, Suspension wise).. for the laden weight (GVW) of the Trailer or Toad... [Adjusted Properly] comes into play....

Or is just Me.. missing something ? 

BIG JOE said:
If I'm understanding the "Flavor" of what I'm reading here... I think we're missing something ?

The Brakes on a trailer or towed vehicle should Never Lock Up. They should be [adjusted] so they [Assist] the [Tow vehicle] in slowing, or stopping the [combined] "Rig"... as needed for the situation and need.

nothing ideally should ever lock up,  but the brakes on the trailer are designed to completely stop the trailer... as if it was to disconnect from the tow vehicle.

Trailer brake systems are not a braking "Assist" for the tow vehicle  ... they are a big part ( half or more on commercial trucks with multi trailers)  of the total braking ability of any combination vehicle.

how much you adjust the brake controller determines if and when they ever "lock the wheels up".  (but if it ever disconnects going down the highway I hope those brakes can locks'em up  ;) )

The brakes on you truck are designed to stop the maximum weight your truck can CARRY....not necessarily carry and tow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom