Another Schwintek slide question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was a bit of an issue with Lippert's slide mechanism mechanical requirements and specifications as passed on to Winnebago engineering, the tolerance requirements were much tighter than they originally specified which has caused grief for everybody involved.  These are some significant growing pains that will be sorted out at some point which is little consolation for those having problems.

John, forgive me, but as an owner that must live with a slide that rattles so loud you can't hear yourself think, and the only fix offered is to spay the mechanism every so often... Hoping it operates correctly each time, concerned that Winnebago will not stand behind it if issues arise again, in addition to the rattle, your describing Lippert problems so many have described here and irv2.com ....as a "bit of an issue"  in my opinion significantly understates the Lippert problem. 

I guess I should chime in here, since I have been doing a "couple months long" investigation on Schwintek slide mechanisms.  Somewhere in early January 2014, Winnebago made some line changes in the motor size and shims and installation issues with these slides.  Since then, I have yet to hear of any malfunctions with Winnie units coming off line after this line change at Winnebago.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.  8)  I feel for the owners of the 2013 and early 2014 models that don't have the heavier 500 series motors, and correctly adjusted rollers, but I believe Winnie will make right those owners.

Oh...by the way....one of the main reasons that the Thor Palazzo units had so many failures was due to the slide not being square with the "hole" and tolerances on each sides of the slide units were way too wide, which caused the teeth on the motor shaft to slip off the track.  You didn't hear much of this at Winnebago or Tiffin, as their slides were very square with tighter tolerances and much better installation from the factory.

I have a new Winnebago DP ordered, and while it also has these slide mechanisms, I have faith in Winnebago to keep my new unit in working order for the life of the unit.  Yes...the life of the unit.  :)

I've had issues with my new 2015 Adventurer 32H. The coach was delivered to the Dealership and the rear bottom corner of the slide was sticking out about 2". After adjusting it would not stay closed so after consulting with the WGO in-house Lippert representative it was decided to replace the Schwintek mechanism....motors, rails, vertical panels. That was done but the slide still does move out about 1/2 to 3/4" while driving. After complaining to the dealership Service Manager he contacted the rep once again...here is what the Lippert rep had to say:

"There are a couple things?.First, the larger the room, the more outside surface area.  Suction from the wind while traveling may/can cause room creep on larger rooms.  Second, the less friction in the system will allow more movement.  So, when the system is installed correctly, there is less friction and more chance for creeping.  The ?brake? incorporated into the control system is a Dynamic Brake.  A dynamic brake uses voltage created by the spinning motor to stop itself, this is not an electric brake that engages/disengages.  The best thing I can suggest right now is to use travel bars to prevent the creeping issue.  Also, if the room does creep, before the customer extends the room have them retract the room completely and perform a sync procedure.  This will ensure that both sides will extend evenly in case one side crept out more than the other."

I have never had an issue with the slide going in or out..it just won't stay flush...it creeps out while driving. I should be receiving the travel bars in a few days...

Jim

Jim,
Sorry to hear that you have been having problems with slide creep on your new coach. I too have had this problem on my 2013 Sunstar on occasions and sure hope we don't experience this on our new Sunova when it is delivered later this month. I am not sure that I buy the idea that the slide is being "sucked" out. I think it seems, at least in my case that the situation is caused by road vibration. Don't understand if Winnebago/Lippert suggests the use of travel rods, why they do not install an electric locking system on the full wall slides.
    May I ask who is suppling the travel rods that you expect in the next several days? Will be interested as to how you make out using the Winnebago/Lippert "fix"

Good Luck!

Fred

CFSUNRISE said:
Jim,
Sorry to hear that you have been having problems with slide creep on your new coach. I too have had this problem on my 2013 Sunstar on occasions and sure hope we don't experience this on our new Sunova when it is delivered later this month. I am not sure that I buy the idea that the slide is being "sucked" out. I think it seems, at least in my case that the situation is caused by road vibration. Don't understand if Winnebago/Lippert suggests the use of travel rods, why they do not install an electric locking system on the full wall slides.
    May I ask who is suppling the travel rods that you expect in the next several days? Will be interested as to how you make out using the Winnebago/Lippert "fix"

Good Luck!

Fred

Yeah the wind suck to me is questionable...and yes there should be some type of electric brake on these huge full wall slides. Winnebago is supplying the travel bars...we are on the road right now but I received notice that they were going to be delivered to my home today.

Jim,

Enjoy your travels and keep us posted as to how you make out with those travel bars installed. Seems that these slide out "Growing Pains" should have been resolved by now.

Happy Travels,

Fred

IslandGuy said:
...The best thing I can suggest right now is to use travel bars to prevent the creeping issue....
Travel bars as a solution - good grief  ::)

There was an issue several years ago with some HWH slides creeping out, our large salon slide came with a strap that you were to attach to the lower front of the slide and to a bracket on the floor.  We forgot to remove the strap within the first six months of ownership while extending the slide and it pulled the floor bracket out.  Haven't used the strap in years and fortunately no slide creep.

John,

I am also amazed that Winnebago/Lippert's answer to the Schwintek slide creep issue after all this time is to supply travel bars. I hope they are advising that the key for the slide outs be mounted to the travel bars to avoid the situation you had where the strap was still in place when the slide was activated.
      John, is there a possibility with your contacts with Winnebago you might get some insider information concerning exactly how Winnebago/Lippert is handling this issue or do they continue living with it and also does Winnebago intend to "make good" for current and future owners. Maybe it is time for a service bulletin or maybe even a recall or slide warranty extension.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred

Fred - I talked to my contact about the Lippert issues in July when I was at the GNR, I'll see if I can get an update.  From what I remember, Lippert has been actively trying to improve their mechanism so I think progress has been made in the last couple of years.

I'm also hoping our new unit won't have slide creep!  I haven't heard of any slide issues at all with the model we have ordered.  Maybe because the longer slide isn't as thick (?)

I'm still trusting (hoping) that Winnebago has all these slide issues ironed out by now, as they are using these same mechanisms in ALL their models, gas and deisel.  :-[

blw2 said:
ah, funny
your mention of travel bars made me look.....
The only thing I could find was this
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-locks/slide-lock.htm

We returned home yesterday from our 3 week trip to Oregon and found the travel bars that the Dealership had ordered sitting on my front doorstep. They look the same as the item listed from PPL...I installed them last night...easy enough just have to put a sticker or something on the slide switch to remind me to remove them before extending the slide!

Jim,

Why not mount the key for the slideout on/off switch to the front travel bar to prevent an accident. You will have to remove the travel bar to retrieve the key.  Still can't believe that is Winnebago's solution to the problem!

Good luck!

Fred

CFSUNRISE said:
Jim,

Why not mount the key for the slideout on/off switch to the front travel bar to prevent an accident. You will have to remove the travel bar to retrieve the key.  Still can't believe that is Winnebago's solution to the problem!

Good luck!

Fred

Good idea!...something really weird happened yesterday on our way home...we live on Whidbey Island and take a ferry from Mukilteo to Clinton. There is a steep hill out of the Clinton dock you must travel with a very sharp right hand turn as you go up the hill...so I took the turn pretty hard and gunned the engine. Someone...left the bathroom door ajar and I hear a big crash as I headed up the hill. I pulled over after a bit and saw that the bathroom door had swung past the refrigerator and was jammed...this meant that the slide had to "flex" right in the center to allow the door to swing past it. Great...I figured I could just extract the slide...but wait...the door was blocking access to the slide controls!! So I ended up knocking the pins out of the bathroom door removing it and then was able to place the door back in the proper position...should have taken a picture of that....

Jim,
What a way to end a trip, Don't tell me you need a travel bar for the bathroom door as well (just kidding). BTW... Did you ever resolve your paint issue?

Fred

CFSUNRISE said:
Jim,
What a way to end a trip, Don't tell me you need a travel bar for the bathroom door as well (just kidding). BTW... Did you ever resolve your paint issue?

Fred

Paint issue: the dealership had their lot guys buff it out...better but not that much better...check your paint job real well especially if you have any black paint on your coach!

Just got off of the phone with a Winnebago Customer Advisor...I was told that if the slide is installed correctly...runs out smooth and retracts with no binding...then you will get slide creep on these big slides and will need travel bars!! Unbelievable!

CFSUNRISE said:
Jim,
Does that lead me to believe that the new coaches will be supplied with travel bars from the factory?
What a "fix"

Fred

Only if the slide is installed correctly...since if it is...it should creep out!

Back
Top Bottom