Another Stupid Plumbing Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stonefeather

Ok,

I have a crack in the bottom of the tub. Want to go ahead and replace the whole shower/tub unit. There are these little white button within a button type fasteners all over the shower walls. What are they called and how do I get them out?

Also, any tips about ordering a new unit? Where to look for good deals, things to avoid, how to ensure best fit, etc...?

Thanks,

Cody

Not sure exactly what you are talking about Cody, but I remember some auto body fasteners that look like a button in a button, and if they are the same, the center part simply pulls up, and that allows the outer part to be pulled out of the hole. The center pin expands the back of the outer when pushed in. Hope that helps.

Your choice of a new unit is going to be severely constrained by the original size. Most residential units are larger, and shapes and sizes for the smaller units come and go with the whim of the plumbing manufacturers. You are just going to have to hunt for something that will fit in the space you have.

Here are some possible sources:
http://www.rvpartscountry.com/RvShowersSurrounds
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/rv-shower-tub.htm
http://www.rvpartsdealer.com/c-9005-rv-bath-tubs-and-surrounds.aspx
http://tweetys.com/rv-bathtub-surrounds.aspx

Stonefeather said:
Ok,

I have a crack in the bottom of the tub. Want to go ahead and replace the whole shower/tub unit. There are these little white button within a button type fasteners all over the shower walls. What are they called and how do I get them out?

Also, any tips about ordering a new unit? Where to look for good deals, things to avoid, how to ensure best fit, etc...?

Those buttons , usually 3 kinds used, one is a cap snapped on over a saucer/washer and the saucer/washer has a screw in center behind the top cap/cover. Another is like I always referred to as a Christmas tree clip, usually available in fastener area at autoparts stores in body shop supplies, as well as tool like a fork to pull them out. the third, and usually hard to get has a small round pin in center (approx.1/8") that gets pushed in on assembly and acts like a spreader rivet behind panel. If you can't get hold of pin and pull it out, just use a small piece of coat hanger or similar that will fit in center hole and tap it right through, then rivet should release. Should be able to get them at an RV store if one near you, or fastener center, maybe hardware store as well.
Thanks,

Cody
Edit: Fixed quote.

Thanks Motor,

I think that I have the third kind of fasteners you described. Nice to know there are guru's who know more about this than me!

Cody

I to have a crack in the bottom of my tub. Right now though it seems to be waaaaaay more work involved to replace the whole thing than I'm willing to do...at this time anyhow. Tried the "tub repair kits" that you can purchase, which left me disappointed at best. Currently it has 2 pieces of eternabond tape over it, which has worked for a season and a half so far. The link provided for the inlay looks very interesting. I'm gonna check into that.

My question is why did they crack in the first place?  I noticed that the tub in our Onyx flexes quite a bit when i stand in the shower.  I'm thinking that, over time, this may result in fatigue cracking tot he pan material. 

I had something similar occur in my last house.  In that instance, the floor drain finaly failed and we had shower drain water running into the basement and onto the floor underlayment.    I raplaced the drain and allowed the flooring to dry out throughly.  I then shot nonexpanding foam up between the floor and the bottom of the shower pan.  That pretty much stoped the flexign of the pan and prevented another failure.  I'm thinking that I may do the same to the trailer as a preventative measure. 

pricejh said:
My question is why did they crack in the first place? 

Well, did I mention that I'm just a tad over #250, corn fed Texan? That and someone pointed out that the "filler" material (usually some kind of styrofoam) located between the underside of the tub and the pedestal it's mounted on eventually compresses and does not allow for a solid material between the base of the tub and the fiberglass material, hence the flexing and subsequent crack.

I felt the give and take but never thought it would lead to a crack :-\

Thanks all,
I think I'll be ok, although you might just read a tag that says "Stupid Repair Problem" haha!

Cody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AvaRidge
Back
Top Bottom