Another ULSD Problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

Our Cummins ISL engine was one of the early ISLs, during the days of Low Sulphur Diesel. When Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel came out a couple of years later, that became an issue for older engines with the fear that the ULSD would deteriorate the gaskets in the engines. Well sure enough, just before my engine's 5th birthday (still in Cummins warranty) the lift pump failed due to the gasket. Last winter, now with an 8 year old engine, I suddenly started going thru engine oil like there was a hole in it. Never saw any puddling or anything indicating a leak but I added about 1 1/2 gallons of oil in a 2 month period. Took it into my local Spartan chassis shop and they determined a leaking valve cover gasket. Replaced that and haven't used a drop since. We did about 3,000 miles this summer and didn't use a drop. I wonder if all the engine gaskets are suspect.

Anyways, if you have an older Cummins engine, particularly one that has had the lift pump replaced, watch your oil level carefully.

I can't imagine the fuel having any effect on the valve cover gasket,, since there is no contact. I did have #4 fuel line break from vibration last summer, its also not related to fuel, my engine is a pre- common rail, 10 year old ISC.>>>Dan

Cummins and other engine manufactures did have a issue of the fuel system leaking when the change to ULSD first came out.

Seals in the fuel system that were exposed to the ULSD did change size because of the material being incompatible with the fuel.  They changed the material used in the seals and the problem went away.  Failures occurred immediately after the change.  I have not heard of any failures lately.

Fuel would NOT cause a valve cover leak.  Not connected.

It's been a long time since I last heard about ULSD issues, but I just thought it might have been coincidental. Guess not.

Cummins engines literally shake themselves apart. They develop more oil leaks than a worn out 2 stroke Detroit. Ask me how I know.I spent 4k$ sealing up the leaks in an 8.3 CTD that only has 112K on it.  Not sure which one the ISL is but it looks like a bigger common rail version of the 8.3 CTD. Might be worth looking into a Fass or an Air Dog LP. Not sure what setup that engine uses but I'm sure it shakes like all the other Cummins.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom