Any books on "tape" fans here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Looking for some recommendations/options for audio books. Seems like almost all roads lead to Audible. I have used them before but typically the fifteen bucks or so per month comes back to bite me as-- entirely due to my own fault of course-- as I fail to use it for some time and keep getting billed.

I see there's some sites with inventories of free, public domain type books out there but the few I've sampled were not that good. Plan to check out the local library to see what they might have to offer.

I've found that a good audio book can really help to make that long multi-hour drive to the next stop much more enjoyable!

Believe it or not there are still some book stores around.. And some of 'em have audio books,,, CD or Tape or both...  There used to be one that was all audio but I've not been there in over a decade.

I don't do audio much cause about the only time it's worth it is when I'm on "The long haul" from here to SC or back.  I made it all the way through Anne McCaffery's Dragon's Kin a while ago.. not sure I can still find all the CD's  PLUS I've read the paper edition as well but it's sometimes nice to hear someone else read it.

We bought an audio book for our trip to Branson last year. The book was the family history of how the area became what it is today. We saw some of the places described in the book while there. I listened to the book while driving, the wife still read her book on her Kindle. The story was interesting and passed the time. Branson was about 8hr's each direction for us.

Shorter trips, usually it's just the radio.

Our local library, Barnes & Noble have audio books. The one we bought for Branson we ordered from Amazon.

jymbee said:
I have used them before but typically the fifteen bucks or so per month comes back to bite me as-- entirely due to my own fault of course-- as I fail to use it for some time and keep getting billed.

You can use Audible without a monthly subscription membership. You can cancel your Audible membership without losing the books you've bought, and you can still buy new books for the regular price instead of credits. You can reinstate the membership when you get the yen to.
You can also put a membership on hold one time every 12 months for up to a three-month period. All this does is suspend the purchase of new credits. Otherwise the membership continues to work normally during the on-hold period.

We?re big fans. Local library, audible, find people who want to trade, and I also get audio books via books for the blind.

There is an app/website called Chirp that has audiobooks. Get on their mailing list and get their heavily discounted ones. I have used Audible since 2006, and I wouldn?t give it up, but I have gotten a few through Chirp.

UTTransplant ~~ Any down sides to Chirp ?? Looks like I have to give them access to my storage and they can make changes at will?  Am I misreading some thing??

JM2?  ~~  YMMV

Back
Top Bottom