Any Cadillac SRX Owners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jndcruisers

Hello,

I am having a tow package installed this week on my 2012 Cadillac SRX. I have read on several webpages that it is necessary to remove a couple of fuses prior to towing however I have referred to my owners manual regarding the towing instructions and there is no mention of this step. All that is required is 5 minutes of running the engine, connect tow vehicle, remove the shifter boot, engage a button that allows you to shift into neutral, tow. Dealership has no idea so I'm turning to the pros on this site. To those that have a 2011/2012 SRX, is the removal of fuses necessary and if so, any idea why this is not in the vehicle owner's manual?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

'99 Newmar DSDP
2012 Cadillac SRX
2009 Cat, 2008 Dog, 19x2 patient wife

The 2011 SRX manual describes pulling the fuses. Does your 2012 manual not have that step? I think GM did change engines in the SRX for 2012 - maybe the dinghy tow procedure changed too. In any case, follow what the manual says for Dinghy or Recreational Towing. That's a different section than for emergency towing (tow truck).

Follow-up: I just looked at the 2012 owner manual and it indeed does not specify any fuses to be pulled.

Just wanted to follow up on this post in the event someone does a forum search in the future and wondered what to do. Today I picked up my motorhome from service and towed the 2012 SRX back to the storage facility 30 miles away. I followed the instructions which meant NOT pulling the fuses. Everything worked just fine. Although the price tag to get the vehicle ready to tow was much higher than expected, it is all done and we're ready for the good times ahead.

If it needs a fuse pulled, you would probably have to tow all day to notice any effect.

GM specified the wrong fuse when they wrote the owner manual for my Acadia, a new model in 2007. I was one of the guinea pigs that showed them they were dead wrong, and I mean dead as in battery voltage down around 6v after several hours of towing. A helpful service advisor in Wenatchee, WA, figured out the right fuse and got a buddy at GMC headquarters to investigate and validate his findings. GMC issued a service bulletin a few months later, but refused to reimburse me for the battery I killed by frequent discharging when towing

Thanks for the heads up Gary. I had the installers put in a fused charge line  in the event this might be an issue. For the aux braking, I went with the SMI Airforce One product. I believe there is very little (if any) electrical draw from the braking system however as you mentioned, there could be another draw elsewhere in the system where pulling the fuse would fix the issue. Since I have the charge line, do I still need to be concerned?

Congratulations on the "awesome" new purchase!  We currently have a Saturn Aura with not enough miles to justify getting a new vehicle BUT when it's time the SRX is the way I want to go, DH may have a different opinion though he thinks I am going to keep the Aura for 10 yrs, 4 are up now - yikes.

Post if you encounter any issues and/or pleasures would be happy to hear about them because I WILL end up with one sooner than later...Happy wife, happy life.. ;)

We also have the SRX although a 2011. What was the cost (if it's not asking to much) of getting the SRX ready to tow? We have been going back and forth weather it is worth it to use this car or get a smaller smart car or something in that area to tow. 

jndcruisers said:
Just wanted to follow up on this post in the event someone does a forum search in the future and wondered what to do. Today I picked up my motorhome from service and towed the 2012 SRX back to the storage facility 30 miles away. I followed the instructions which meant NOT pulling the fuses. Everything worked just fine. Although the price tag to get the vehicle ready to tow was much higher than expected, it is all done and we're ready for the good times ahead.

Steve,

The total cost for everything was a lot more than I originally. I bought the base plates and tow bar (Blue Ox) from Amazon which offered a really good deal and no sales tax. After a lot of research I found the SMI Air Force One aux braking was the best solution from a price/operation stand point. Not cheap at $1099 for the unit and $600 for the install but again, it seemed to be the best solution for our needs, your needs may warrant a different solution. The installation of the base plates was about $400, they installed a toad charge line for $130, and another $150 for a wiring harness + installation for the tail lights (brake/blinker) on the toad. So all said and done, parts and labor came out to be about $3300.

Good luck
Jeff

I was wondering, too, how the SRX works out as a toad. Any issues or pluses? That is one we're considering. Love the Acadia but the curb weight looks to be a tad heavier than the SRX.

I just got back on my first "real" trip with the toad this past weekend. 800 miles round trip and sampled different driving conditions all without incident or issues. The drive up was easy as I had the wind at my back for most of the trip. Heading home I was in a 20-30 mph headwind for the first half of the trip followed by periods of equally strong cross winds. On the backend of the trip I was caught in bumper to bumper traffic for about an hour - all handled well. I was surprised at how quickly and easy it is to set up to tow and unhitch. So far, I'm really pleased.

I am looking at a 2012 SRX and seen in the manual about pushing a button under the booth and no pulling fusees as in my Buick I pull one of the Batt 1 50 amps.  Question in my Buick I also have to put the key in accessory. so front wheels will turn, the SRX has no key just that push start, what do you do about the front wheels being unlocked and able to turn?  Dealer is not much help at all.  Maybe being you have no key on that is why no fuse has to be pulled, when you put the transmission in N does that also unlock the front wheels?  Thanks in advance, Moe

I don't think the SRX has a locking steering column, so no need to put in ACC to tow. The locking steering column is in lieu of an alternative anti-theft mechanism and the SRX electronic "key" is itself an anti-theft system.

I've read that the later Enclaves and Acadia don't have locking steering columns either, but the owner manual still says to put in ACC. Maybe the manual writer didn't get the word...

Back
Top Bottom