any chance of 17" wheels and tires fitting on my '96 Pace Arrow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeylikesit

I'm due for tires. wondering if I might as well get new larger wheels too.....I know my ford explorer with 17" wheels sure rides a helluvalot better than my other vehicles with 16's....

it looks like I have clearance. Wondering if anybody else has tried this.

TIA.

Never done that but certainly space is a must. Be sure you have the clearance and be sure what the next size up will be. My guess without looking into it is that a size up will probably not fit but you may be able to change the tire tread on the new rim to make it work.

The other issue is the final ratio to the rear wheels. That will change and may or may not be a problem however it is definately a concern.

Generally it is better to stay with the engineered math. In the case of a commercial truck chassis, it makes more sense to stay with factory specifications.

Another thought is whether or not the size change on the Explorer made any noticeable difference at all. It could be that the new rubber was mostly responsible for the better ride and was affected very little by the increase in diameter.

One other thought is what is called "sprung weight" this is the amount of weight on the spring side of the suspension (tires, rims, brakes etc). The calculated sprung weight is a fairly important factor when engineering suspension. Changing the sprung weight one way or the other will affect suspension performance.

Last edited:
Mike,
As HenryJ alludes, there is a great deal more to ride quality than wheel diameter. A Whole Lot More....
If you don't like the ride quality, then the first thing you should do is get a "By Axle" weight of the coach. Next, find an inflation guide on the web for your size tires and set the tires to that pressure. If you are setting the cold tire pressure to the maximum as stamped on the side wall, you will immediately feel a difference.
Matt

While I would be surprised if the larger wheels & tires would fit, I would be more concerned about the mechanical issues. If you do that change, be sure to also get your speedometer corrected.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinapple
Back
Top Bottom