Any drinkiing water issues?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john5079

As a soon to be fulltimer/firstimer - July 17th - Has anyone generally experienced issues with the quality of drinking water provided by most campgrounds?  Do most use bottled water or add sanitizer to the tank? 

We use only bottled water for drinking. Some folks here have much better filtration systems for campground water.

Always bottled water for drinking.  Gongrats on the F/Timing.

State health regulations have standards that must be meet by campgrounds to insure the water is potable.  We have never had an issue.  However when we started spending a lot of time in AZ we did install a RO unit do to the high alkalinity.  Now that Sam has been spoiled having RO water we have now installed one in the house in Lewistown even though it is not really necessary in my opinion.  But I got the last two words in.

Potable?  Alas, I have the proverbial "Cast Iron Stomach" and I have campgrounds where I can't pote the water.

However I also have filters that make a 100% improvement far as I'm concerned. and they are not all that good either,  Just what the job needs.

Wife blows the budget on bottle water.  I use a Brita if I'm worried or just the Camco CX-90 or one of the in-line RV water filters (Throw aways) run around 15 bucks a pop.  Usually that's all I need,  The Brita is kind of over kill.

John,

We have occasionally gotten into campgrounds where we wondered about the water quality.  Generally that's when it's well water as opposed to a municipal source.  Yes, campground wells are supposed to be inspected for water quality, but when the place looks rundown or is out in the middle of nowhere (as campgrounds often are), then you may want to be extra careful.  Many of us, even though not fulltimers, have water filters not only to help the water taste better, but to be on the safe side against cysts, cryptosporidium, and other nasties that can make one very sick.

We always carry one 2.5 gal. bottle of drinking water as backup for those times when even the filter can't make the water taste better.  Water is my beverage of choice and I happen to be very picky regarding how the water tastes so we go prepared.  When we're at one of those places with yucky tasting water, I use bottled water for making coffee, tea, and instant drinks like lemonade.  Also, if you plan on boondocking for a while you might want to carry bottled water to conserve your fresh water tank.  Over the years I've learned that the water in the southern states often tastes worse than in the north so it's often a regional thing.

By the way, installing a water filter system will cost a lot less in the long run than always buying bottled water.  We've even used ours down in Mexico where no one drinks the local water.  You may be shocked at the cost of one filter, but they last a long time and still cost less than bottled.

ArdraF

We've never had a problem with campground water, though sometimes the local water supply can be very hard or have an off-taste. The locals don't notice it, of course, but we do because it is different than what we are accustomed to. Some folks use bottled water for drinking, including coffee/tea, either for taste or health reasons.

Our current coach filters all water, whether from the tank or the campground, though it is only a basic charcoal filter.

We use the in line filter from the tap to the hose and then a  double filter, one more single filter, yet we drink bottled water, always.  This is a habit we formed many years ago when  we were going to many weekend campgrounds that had well.  We used the their water for cooking and bathing(Navy Showers)  and just never altered our methods.  Also many CGs had horrible water, so we just never worry about it and drink Bottled.  JMO

We never buy bottled water except when in Mexico or if we are going to boondock for more than 4-5 days. We carry 100 gallons of water when boondocking and use a couple of gallons of bottled for coffee. All water coming into our coach goes thru a 2 filter system with a sediment filter and a KDF filter for taste, bad minerals and bacteria. Also, the kitchen sink has a drinking water filter.

The only reason we have ever had bottled water on board the MH is so we have something to take with us when we go for a walk or hike. Other than that we use the water out of the tank or the campground water.

I am new to all of this, but here is what I did.

Bought one of those water softeners from camping world, added an in-line Camco  disposable filters, and have the cyst sucking (factory) whole house water filter.

The water seems just as good as what we have at home. None of us or the dogs have gotten sick, so I figure all is well.

But, the DW and I have lived off of well water since we were conceived. Normally much better than city water in my book. But what do I know?

And that water softener was worth every penny! It is nice to have a bar of soap, work like a bar of soap! And the water lines and water heater, hopefully last a bit longer. I have been hearing some horror stories here in the CG regarding the hard water many places have, and the damage that it causes. It sounds like it tends to shorten the life of many of our MH components, ie., water heaters.

Mike

We are not proponents of water softeners. The Phoenix area has horrendous water (safe but with an odor, bad taste and hard). We opted to install a whole house KDF water filter which pulls the calcium, chlorine, bad taste and harmful minerals out of our water. It leaves safe minerals and we have excellent tasting water as a result. Since the calcium is removed we do not have the white deposits that clog shower heads and water heaters. When we got a water filtration system for our coach it was a 2 filter package, one a sediment and the other a KDF filter. We have good tasting, safe water, no clogs and soap washes off easily when we are not in a soft water area.

Come on out here! Your water is a God send. Brown iron water is the norm up here, and that rotten egg smell will send you over the edge. A water softener is very much needed in certain parts. I have seen what it can do, trust me.

Come on out here! Your water is a God send. Brown iron water is the norm up here, and that rotten egg smell will send you over the edge. A water softener is very much needed in certain parts. I have seen what it can do, trust me.

Mike

Don't know where you live, but I would put Phoenix' area water among the worst of any metropolitan area in the country. However, the water softener may, or may not, remove the sulphur (rotten egg smell) or brown iron, but a good filter setup will. I prefer using a solution specific to the problem than a solution designed for another problem that may, or may not, help with this problem.

Bernie,

I used to buy Iron Out by the case! And I am familiar with SW hard water, Phoenix and Vegas. The stuff that comes out of my house tap would knock your socks and nose off if not for the Kinetico water softener I had installed a few years ago. Best 3 grand I ever spent! And I would have paid twice that to get the water I have today!

But, and a big "but", we just had a new well drilled this month, nice clear clean water!! Just waiting to get it all hooked up. Doing lots of work around the house right now, and still a waiting! And the Kinetico water softener stays, even though I hate some things regarding soft water. At least it keeps the plumbing clean, and hopefully my long term household costs low. I know what hard water does to pipes, and everything else it comes into contact with. Can cost you an arm and a leg in the long run. And that is why I have one on my MH.

And we just got home today from a weeks vacation. I went into my "work in progress" house to wash my hands. The smell of the water knocked me off my feet! That 3 thousand dollar water softener is off line. Well, that was a few hours ago, and the water in my MH is tip top. That silly little Camping World, table salt using water softener is doing the job!!!

Worth every penny in my book! And allot cheaper than that Kinetico unit. ;)

Honestly, I cannot believe that little RV water softener works so good. I personally took water samples to the usual suspects when I was in search of a water softener for the house. Kinetico was the only outfit that would guarantee my water quality in writing. And here this silly little $200 RV water softener, using table salt, is doing the job.

Go figure?

Mike

Mike

I know but I'm doing the same thing with a $30 KDF filter. My home system was a lot cheaper than than Kinetico package.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom