Any negative feedback using catalytic heaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KATOOM

Hello.  I was recommended to this forum through another forum as someone said this place has lots of knowledgeable and friendly people.

So I have a question.  My family has a larger 5th wheel toy hauler.  We boondock ever now and again and also frequent camp grounds without hookups.  For that reason, I choose to purchase the Olympian Wave 6 catalytic heater so I dont have to rely on the house furnace.  But after going through all the installation and making it look nice, I started seeing people state negative attributes with catalytic heaters.  So much so that I started doubting whether or not I should have gotten this heater at all.  Kinda makes it hard sleeping at night in the trailer wondering if I need to be concerned about using it.

Anyone have any opinions?  Thank you.

i have a friend who uses 2 Dyson heaters _ the round ones that you can put your hand into

http://www.dysoncanada.ca/en-ca/fansandheaters/heaters/am05/am05-iron-blue.aspx?istCompanyId=47ac6a8c-7d3e-4b16-bef1-b720138af290&istItemId=rrxilmrtp&istBid=tztx&gclid=CM6I1ZLp48gCFYQ8aQodGggP0A

they are expensive (he got his on sale somewhere) but i guess they are awesome

I use a oil filled radiator similar to this one - totally silent but slow to react, but quiet and efficient, when I have electric when not hooked up I use my propane installed heater...

Like this one HERE!

Good luck,

Jim

We've used a Mr Heater portable catalytic for two winters when boondocking and love it. It has an oxygen sensor for safety, The MH has a CO detector. We crack open a nearby window (about 12 sq in) and never had a problem in slightly freezing temps as a single heat source in our 32 ft MH. Of course in severely cold temps we will also run the furnace a little to heat the basement plumbing.  We have a gas quick-connect in the kitchen, but have also used a 1 lb cylinder.  Just remember to keep the catalyst pad free of dust when not in use.

My TH does have a propane sensor sitting directly next to the catalytic heater and I have a couple CO2 detectors as well.  One up high were it came from the factory and another I installed down low.  I'm thinking of adding a third just to be triply safe.....
And yes, I keep the heater covered when its not being used so it doesnt get dusty and contaminated.  :)

KATOOM said:
My TH does have a propane sensor sitting directly next to the catalytic heater and I have a couple CO2 detectors as well.  One up high were it came from the factory and another I installed down low.  I'm thinking of adding a third just to be triply safe.....

Probably just a typo, but just to clarify - a single CO (carbon monoxide) detector would be better than two or three CO2 (carbon dioxide) detectors. CO detectors do wear out.

I have used the "Big Buddy" heater in my MH. It does a good job, but it does use up oxygen. One time when I used it for about three hours, I developed a severe headache. I stepped outside and the headache disappeared immediately. I did have a small window slightly open.
I continued to use the heater and had no further problems with it. They do the job, but I would not ever leave one on over night.

Jerry

ItascaOK said:
Probably just a typo, but just to clarify - a single CO (carbon monoxide) detector would be better than two or three CO2 (carbon dioxide) detectors. CO detectors do wear out.

I'm not following you. 

There is no such thing as a CO2 detector, it's a CO detector.

Count me among those who favor catalytic propane heaters. We have used them in both RV and at home with excellent results. The Wave & Buddy brand catalytic heaters have oxygen depletion sensors, so running low on O2 need not be a concern. And you should have both LP and CO detectors in the RV anyway (RVIA standard).

That said, we did not leave the heater on while sleeping, for economic reasons as well as safety. If it was really cold, we put the LP furnace on its lowest setting (55 in ours) when we went to bed and turned the catalytic on again in the morning while also turning up the thermostat to get a quick warm-up. Then shut the furnace down again.

Katoom:

CO is carbon monoxide (deadly stuff and is a product of combustion) whereas CO2 is carbon dioxide and not deadly at all, you breath it out. CO detectors are commonly used but you had typed "and I have a couple CO2 detectors as well". ItaskaOK simply thought you typed CO2 detectors  but meant  to say CO detectors.

CO detectors (and smoke detectors, propane detectors all have a time expire or manufactured date on them and have to be changed out, usually after 7 to 10 years of use.) 

HTH

Yes.....it was a type-o.  I currently have two CO detectors and thought about adding a third just for piece of mind.
And in saying that, do they even make CO2 detectors?

Our experience with catalytic heaters has been pretty much the same as ItascaOK's, but I'd add that they do exhaust a fair amount of moisture - another reason we leave vents and windows cracked when we're using ours. For what it's worth, we were originally using those disposable bottles to fuel ours but they'd only last about 6 to 7 hours and they were always empty in the morning - right when you wanted the heat the most. I've since plumbed a hard-line to the RV's propane tank with a quick-disconnect fitting inside and it works great.

Kev

KATOOM said:
Yes.....it was a type-o.  I currently have two CO detectors and thought about adding a third just for piece of mind.
And in saying that, do they even make CO2 detectors?

There are such things as CO2 detectors.  They are typically used in industrial sites, greenhouses with carbon dioxide enrichment facilities, and breweries.  300 PPM is average for normal air, it starts to become dangerous to humans around 30,000 PPM.

lone_star_dsl said:
There are such things as CO2 detectors.  They are typically used in industrial sites, greenhouses with carbon dioxide enrichment facilities, and breweries.  300 PPM is average for normal air, it starts to become dangerous to humans around 30,000 PPM.

Interesting.....  Good to know.

ItascaOK said:

The problem with both propane and CO detectors with a catatlic heater is that ideally they give off not co, but CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) which neither of those detectors can detect.. Now the Cat heater is supposed to have an O2 Detector and when it sees not enough it's supposed to shut it down.. But the key word in that is SUPPOSED TO.. If it malfunctions....... So do you. Or if you like.. If the Detector is dead.. SO ARE YOU.

Can some one fill me in on the benefits of using a space heater in a rv that has a furnace? For the life of me I don't understand this........

I have one in my camper to.  Permently mounted to wall. And also ran a 10 ft LP hose from heater to LP bottle on tong.    Only thing I added was a battery powered co decter

(Chip) said:
Can some one fill me in on the benefits of using a space heater in a rv that has a furnace? For the life of me I don't understand this........

At the beginning and end of our camping season, we can see temps drop into the 40's and possibly the high 30's. If we are hooked up, I use a couple electric space heaters instead of the furnace.  It's a matter of using their electricity over my propane. 

John From Detroit said:
The problem with both propane and CO detectors with a catatlic heater is that ideally they give off not co, but CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) which neither of those detectors can detect.. Now the Cat heater is supposed to have an O2 Detector and when it sees not enough it's supposed to shut it down.. But the key word in that is SUPPOSED TO.. If it malfunctions....... So do you. Or if you like.. If the Detector is dead.. SO ARE YOU.
True, for the most part. However, the key word is "ideally". There is likely no catalytic propane heater available to the public that is 100% efficient out of the box. Efficiency is further reduced if oxygen levels are reduced in the combustion area during use. And dirt/dust on the catalytic surface will also reduce efficiency. These inefficiencies all result in production of CO and hydrocarbons. While humans could die from excess CO2 levels, CO is a much more toxic substance to us; a good reason for the use of CO and LP (hydrocarbon) detectors in RVs.

Burning anything requires care and diligence - especially in an enclosed space. Modern portable catalytic heaters are reasonably safe when used in areas with normal oxygen levels and properly maintained. ( Open a window and keep the appliance clean.) Of course electric heat is also potentially dangerous and requires caution in use.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom