any new Class A with super single tires ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a difference between sprung and unsprung weight. Apples and oranges. Lightening the unsprung weight doesn't lighten the existing load the suspension is holding. The heavier the GVWR of the vehicle the less swapping apples for oranges affects anything. Brakes are still effective as they're built for the total weight. Larger diameter tires will affect braking. Reducing unsprung weight is good for the ride and handling.

Bill

Sprung -- Unsprung ?  My head hurts !

Perhaps this will help.  http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/unsprung_weight.html

Learning every day....

driftless shifter said:
There is a difference between sprung and unsprung weight. Apples and oranges. Lightening the unsprung weight doesn't lighten the existing load the suspension is holding. The heavier the GVWR of the vehicle the less swapping apples for oranges affects anything. Brakes are still effective as they're built for the total weight. Larger diameter tires will affect braking. Reducing unsprung weight is good for the ride and handling.

Bill

I wrote to an acquaintance who has the super singles on his Beaver coach, and asked his opinion. Here is his reply.

My tires are 455/55R/22.5 and they match up almost perfect with the 295/80R/22.5 as far as diameter. I think that with anything different or new you will get different opinions. I haven't talked to anyone who has them that doesn't like them. A fellow I traveled with for 2 or 3 years had 45,000 miles on his with very little wear. I like mine, and would do it again. The ride is better, and I think more stable with the center of the tread being 3" wider. You have 2 tires to monitor, instead of 4. Michelin guarantees 2 hour road service for super singles. If you go to their website, there is a lot of information. You also save a fair amount of un-sprung weight. The wheels to buy are Alcoa 841600 or Accuride 41660.

My only drawback would be that I like to carry a spare.

But then again, if I had one of those mounted on the rear of the MH, I wouldn't have to worry about removing the receiver from the hitch since there would be no way possible to bang a shin on it. :)

The truck stop that I was at last week had a super single on display.  I was told that when they get a service call on that tire, they take a new aluminum wheel because when the tire goes flat, it ruins the rim.  Might be a costly flat on a MH.  Eddie Elk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom