Anybody ever strangle their travel companion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I worked with another technician who NEVER EVER took a vacation with his wife. Finally they went to Hawaii. She mysteriously  went off the edge while riding a rented bike down some Volcano. Took two days to recover the body. He remarried 6 months later

darsben said:
I worked with another technician who NEVER EVER took a vacation with his wife. Finally they went to Hawaii. She mysteriously  went off the edge while riding a rented bike down some Volcano. Took two days to recover the body. He remarried 6 months later
How big was the life insurance?

darsben said:
I worked with a technician at a local hospital who turned around on his way to Cape Cod for his honeymoon. Dropped her off at her Moms house and never went back to her again. He never would tell what happened to cause it.

That is why I always recommend getting married in the morning, that way if it doesn't work out you haven't lost a full days work.

cadee2c said:
is it my imagination, or is there something about parking and setting up camp that causes couples to have meltdowns? I see it alot, ranging from snarky comments to outride yelling and even some cussing.

I?ve seen this many times while at camp grounds. The arguments are mostly over the backing in. I don?t understand why the driver needs someone telling them how to do it. I pull up, get out and look at the site to see the position of the utilities and if there is any obstructions on the site. My wife gets out and either visits the bathroom or sits at the picnic table until I am in. Before anybody says ?But you only have a tiny TT?. We had the same procedure when we fulltimed in a 37? 5th wheel.

Oldgator73 said:
I?ve seen this many times while at camp grounds. The arguments are mostly over the backing in. I don?t understand why the driver needs someone telling them how to do it. I pull up, get out and look at the site to see the position of the utilities and if there is any obstructions on the site. My wife gets out and either visits the bathroom or sits at the picnic table until I am in. Before anybody says ?But you only have a tiny TT?. We had the same procedure when we fulltimed in a 37? 5th wheel.
I agree completely. Backing up should be done by one person, not a committee.

I get out and look, then use the camera and mirrors to back in.  I do post the DW where I can see her in the mirror just in case I miss something.

We have Walkie-Talkies.  Invaluable at times.  He doesn't need direction,just a little guidance.  About $20,go buy some!

OMG...
I can back the TT into the driveway no problem ..... as long as the BOYS are not hollering directions at me... usually wrong or different.... I never yell so much as when they help... Good thing I'm Canadian and don't have firearms in the van! :eek: :mad: :eek:

He only travels with me... so other then backing in ... he leaves it all to me...
Waits for instructions.. otherwise stays out of my way...
We have a wonderful relationship...<3  <3
;D

Pugapooh said:
We have Walkie-Talkies. 

We do too, and I leave mine off.  :eek:

Actually, I need a bit of help when I get home with the TT, I have many obstacles I need to avoid, and navigate around a garage, missing a tree, and at times I have a blind spot.  We argue over which way the trailer needs to go.  I mean you have Right or Left.  I threatened to put a R and L on her shoe tops, we all know how the rest of that day went.  :-\

We were required to have spotters in the military. If you backed into something w/o a spotter you were in big trouble. If you need some help backing in then by all means have a spotter. There have been times I have come so close to telling someone to get out of the truck and let me back it in. So much yelling and pulling forward and jack knifing and more yelling. I?ve gone through more than a six pack watching those debacles. When we stayed at the famcamp at Travis AFB in northern CA they would not let you park your RV. Staff would back them in. They didn?t want anyone running over their grass.

cadee2c said:
is it my imagination, or is there something about parking and setting up camp that causes couples to have meltdowns?
One time there was a man backing in, the wife guiding him. She's waving him back and there was a huge crash sound followed immediately by her yelling, "ok stop!" lol, I thought oh if he doesn't get out and kill her then he has the patience of a saint!

RVMommaTo6 said:
One time there was a man backing in, the wife guiding him. She's waving him back and there was a huge crash sound followed immediately by her yelling, "ok stop!" lol, I thought oh if he doesn't get out and kill her then he has the patience of a saint!

Or he's a big pussy cat and doesn't dare say anything.  :eek: ::) ;D :D ;)

Oldgator73 said:
We were required to have spotters in the military. If you backed into something w/o a spotter you were in big trouble. If you need some help backing in then by all means have a spotter. There have been times I have come so close to telling someone to get out of the truck and let me back it in. So much yelling and pulling forward and jack knifing and more yelling. I?ve gone through more than a six pack watching those debacles. When we stayed at the famcamp at Travis AFB in northern CA they would not let you park your RV. Staff would back them in. They didn?t want anyone running over their grass.

Dont you mean the First Sergeants grass !!

Ever since the first few bad experiences we had with each other I found that patience works better than anything else. DW wanting and willing to participate, she feels like contributing and I should not take that away from her or make the ordeal anything less than pleasant.

She guides me in as best she can, trying to stay in a spot where I can see her. If I cant see her in the mirror or camera... then I stop....she will get the hint and reappear in the mirror.  For all I know she may have moved to a better vantage point.  She is the only help I have and before transplant she would setup the whole RV without complaint, insisting that I catch my breath and have a beverage.

The point I'm trying to make is work together, nothing is more horrible than starting out a camping trip just to be pissed off at each other. Relax, she is doing the best she can and if that isn't enough then it is on you to teach her how to help better at giving you the instruction you need.

We tried cellphone and walkies, left and right doesn't work so being Cajun it was Did way or Dat way. She now points in the direction she wants HER end to go. Makes it simple. We both look over the site and point out the things I may back into or over. If it is questionable, then waving the hands frantically in the air means I better stop NOW.

Be kind to each other... After all you have to go to sleep sometime.

Yes!  Communication.  Where,exactly,do you want the camper to sit?  What obstacles?  What about any slides?  Can we hook up everything? 

I think people are in a hurry to set up when they arrive at camp.  It's been a long drive.  Take a breather,have a drink/snack and check any attitudes.

I usually tell the DW where to stand (and move with the coach) and what signals to give (which she quickly changes to 'wave like hell' or just give a straight arm out 'STOP'.  I also tell her about how to judge where I should stop on the site (so the sewer hose does not have to be over 10 feet - the power and water can be reached with extensions).

Back
Top Bottom