Anyone Coming to FMCA at Madison, WI ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BernieD said:
Today the FMCA Governing Board voted down having the 2013 convention in Pomona, they'd rather lose the $100,000 deposit. This leaves Indio and Hutchinson, KS in 2013.

Sounds pretty stupid to me to lose 100K. Is Hutcinson the national rally? Guess we'll be doing Indio and Farmington in 2013.

Wendy

they'd rather lose the $100,000 deposit.

Sounds to me like FMCA figures they'll lose even more than that if they hold the one at Pomona.  Maybe the fact that CA has restricted the sales is a big factor.  Why should a company send a big fleet of motorhomes and a sales force when they can't actually sell the product?  It's too bad because Pomona used to be a great rally.

ArdraF

Ardra,

Have the California dealers gone stupid like the Texas and Arizona (and I think Nevada) that restrict outside dealer from getting temporary Licenses?

If I were a good dealer and FMCA was going to bring a National market to my state I would love it even if I had to compete with put of state dealers. Now if I were a "used car" sale type dealership and I knew some of the better out of state dealerships would "clean my clock" then I be against it. Apparently the majority of RV dealerships fall in the later category.

ken

If they can sell RVs in Indio, why wouldn't they be able to sell RVs in Pomona ??

And certainly something could be worked out with the fairgrounds in Pomona if FMCA truly believes that they can't afford the costs of holding a rally there.

Wendy

I don't recall the exact details but a few years back California decided only dealers licensed in that state could sell there.  Perhaps someone else will remember more about it.

Ardra

ArdraF said:
I don't recall the exact details but a few years back California decided only dealers licensed in that state could sell there.  Perhaps someone else will remember more about it.

Another brilliant move on California's part to chase away people with money to spend. Although it seems that FMCA could get a bunch of California RV dealers there to display and sell their wares.

The problem was partly an east vs west issue and one of being clueless as to the real world. Pomona has always been one of the more profitable venues and Pomona-2012 was canceled because the scheduled date was too late to ensure a good turnout (late April), not because the venue couldn't run a profit. These could not overcome the fear that FMCA has lost a bundle on 3 of the last 4 Conventions and would lose again at Pomona, which led all the eastern representatives to vote against Pomona and the western representatives were a little outnumbered.

If they can sell RVs in Indio, why wouldn't they be able to sell RVs in Pomona ??
Although it seems that FMCA could get a bunch of California RV dealers there to display and sell their wares.

The local dealers are different in LA than in Indio, and if the locals howl, the event has a problem. Locals within a certain radius are given preference according to the law. Brilliant.

And certainly something could be worked out with the fairgrounds in Pomona if FMCA truly believes that they can't afford the costs of holding a rally there.

Pomona doesn't budge, they have their numbers and that's it.

BernieD said:
Pomona doesn't budge, they have their numbers and that's it.

So the facility sits empty and the local restaurants, grocery stores, and other businesses lose money. I don't believe that the folks who run Pomona can't be reasoned with.

Wendy

Wendy said:
So the facility sits empty and the local restaurants, grocery stores, and other businesses lose money. I don't believe that the folks who run Pomona can't be reasoned with.

Wendy

It doesn't necessarily sit empty, just not occupied by us. In any case, civil servants, "the folks who run Pomona", and "reasoned with" is, IMO, an oxymoron.

Bernie, thanks for adding to the discussion.  I thought it was CA, but it's Pomona.

ArdraF

Bernie- haven't met you in person, stop by row 12 in the vendor hall.
Ernie- 2 days- no jobs :'(

Happy hour at Madison FMCA (Jeff, Sue, Ken & Sheila).
Dinner at a Mexican restaurant at Madison (Jeff, Sue, Sheila, Ken & Carol my wife).

Attachments

• M06992.JPG
    M06992.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 34
  • M06995.JPG
    M06995.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 36
We have had a great time with John and Carol as well as John Jacobs (White Eagle) who stopped over Tuesday night.

Bernie stopped by the booth on Fri. Good to meet him in person. I went by his coach and they were not there. Came back and fed the girls, sat in my easy chair and fell asleep. Too much talking made my jaw tired~

We live in Rockford, just 70 miles south of Madison, and considered going. However, we went to the FMCA GLASS in Berrien Springs, MI in May so we opted to go to the Mendota Sweet Corn Festival instead. I'm a sales rep and travel I-39 and I-90 extensively, going as far north as Janesville. It was cool to see all of the coaches north bound that week, presumably heading to Madison.

What was your Madison experience like? Do you think it will be worth it to go to Indianapolis next year? (Another relatively short trip.)

Stan and Becky

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom