Anyone going to Mardi Gras 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I won't be there for that, but I hope to get there sometime in a different part of this year or next year.

Does anyone have any stories from Mardi Gras of the past?

Hubby and I are all ears.

Waving at everyone.
We've visited NOLA a couple of times in the past, but our visit during Mari Gras back in 2020 coincided with the time Covid was just taking hold. Despite jammed in with tens of thousands of other party goers we managed to survive unscathed.

We'll be back in NOLA later this week the visit timed to avoid the whole Mardi Gras scene and get to do some exploring absent the madness. Glad we did the event thing but once was enough. Quite a scene.

Previously we stayed at Bayou Segnette State Park across the river and rather than drive in to the city, drove to the Algiers Ferry and took that scenic boat ride in for $1. Very relaxing and avoided the parking situation. However parking around the Ferry area can be a real hassle if anything going on in the city.

This year we have reservations at St. Bernard State Park. Haven't figured out the best way to get around NOLA yet. Perhaps others here might have some suggestions?

As far as watching the parades goes, and there are MANY different parades all over the city, my main advice would be pick on of the main parades and buy tickets to one of the grandstands around Lafayette Square. Much better viewing and avoids the crush of the street level crowds.
mg1.jpg

mg2.jpg

mg3.jpg

I won't be there for that, but I hope to get there sometime in a different part of this year or next year.

Does anyone have any stories from Mardi Gras of the past?

Hubby and I are all ears.

Waving at everyone.
Mardi Gras started in Mobile. New Orleans can do it more flamboyantly. In Mobile by the 1920s and thereafter it was for The Two Hundred (the old-power families that ran the city like a fiefdom) to get drunk, put on masks, get on floats, and act the fool for people they wouldn't let near their back doors the rest of the year.

My wife and I are going to New Orleans this weekend, she has a work conference there and I am tagging along, we are staying in a hotel near the convention center

Anyone decide to go to Mardi gras?

The tennis-ball-loving silver Labrador retrievers — named for Pete Sampras and Billie Jean King — chowed down on lamb chops at Galatoire’s as they were declared king and queen of the Mystic Krewe of Barkus. The animal welfare organization founded 30 years ago took its name as a tongue-in-cheek tribute to the major Carnival krewe Bacchus. The annual Galatoire’s gathering aids fund-raising efforts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coffeegal
Back
Top Bottom