Anyone have a picture of the inside of a Pla-kool evaporative cooler for rv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arley

Anyone have a picture of the inside of a Pla-kool evaporative cooler. I have one installed but it has been missing some parts since I purchased the RV. I have a general idea what I have to fab. one but it would be nice to see one to go by. I'm just looking for the plate the water is pumped over to distribute to the filter. As it is now, the water is just going to be pumped over the top of the blower motor. It looks like the fan motor is involved with distributing the water but not sure about that.

Parts for Pla-kool are hard to come by.

Attachments

• sc.jpg
    sc.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 75
Without knowing what type of camping you plan on doing, are you sure you want to deal with a swamp cooler?
My understanding of the Pla-Cools is that they do go through quite a bit of water. I think approx. 2-3 gallons of water per hour depending on ambient temp and humidity level.

Just wondering if it makes more sense in the long run to replace the old cooler with a much more efficient unit?

denmarc said:
Without knowing what type of camping you plan on doing, are you sure you want to deal with a swamp cooler?
My understanding of the Pla-Cools is that they do go through quite a bit of water. I think approx. 2-3 gallons of water per hour depending on ambient temp and humidity level.

Just wondering if it makes more sense in the long run to replace the old cooler with a much more efficient unit?

You mean it doesn't recirculate the water? Or do you expect it to evaporate that fast? I've had plenty of experience with swamp coolers in a house, but never in an RV. Of course it'll use less electric than refrigerated air, but...

It's an evaporate cooler. Meaning the water evaporates and dissipates. A water source is necessary to replenish the cooler to continue the operation. My understanding from some AZ friends say their swamp cooler goes through close to 4-5 gallons of water per day to cool their house down during the summer months.
Not the same scale, i know. Unless there is something I'm missing, the basic principles are the same.

The water to make it work has to come from somewhere.

Im not concerned about evaporation. That's manageable.
I have this thing installed and I would like it to work.

denmarc said:
It's an evaporate cooler. Meaning the water evaporates and dissipates. A water source is necessary to replenish the cooler to continue the operation. My understanding from some AZ friends say their swamp cooler goes through close to 4-5 gallons of water per day to cool their house down during the summer months.
Not the same scale, i know. Unless there is something I'm missing, the basic principles are the same.

The water to make it work has to come from somewhere.

Agreed -- as I said, I've dealt with swamp coolers before, had one for years, but 2-3 gallons an hour seems high. The 4-5 gallons per day seems more realistic.

I tried researching for you, but about the only thing I have found is that they are out of business. If you Google pla-kool and select images does any of those pics give you any help?

Yes, I've done the google image thing. Didnt see anything that would help.
I can rig something up. Not a big deal. Just thought someone may have some experience with these.
Thanks for the interest.

Best of luck, arley. If you get it figured out, please tell us all what you came up with. The info may help someone else.

Swamp coolers are kind of a niche thing in the RV community. However, there are those that are permanently parked in hot and dry areas where your findings may be of help. That's the reason I mentioned about the type of camping you planned on doing.

Well, looking into this further, Im finding that the motor was rusted up and the plastic around the assembly is so brittle that it easily breaks off with your fingers. So, I guess Im going to bite the bullet and put a new one in.
Ill put some pictures together once I have the unit and work starts. Might be interesting to someone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom