Anyone have experiential knowledge about th 8.2L detroit diesel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STRETCH

I see on DFW area CL, an early 90's 37' Overland Coach with only 48K mi. fo $21,500. Should I go see it.

I love the Detroit's,,,but the 8.2 was a problematic engine, there is a good reason you see none around and those you do are stamped "re manufactured" >>>Dan

Avoid the 8.2 like the plague.

These were not only problematic, they were a huge headache and SPENDY TO FIX $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$    :'(

Snowy

My one experience with that engine was not good. Head gaskets were an ongoing issue.

I've been around these 8.2s in the boat business for many years, and I  tend to shy away from them whenever possible. The 8.2 was the only 4-stroke diesel GM ever built. It was originally designed as a V-8 gas engine (502 cid), for Oldsmobile I believe. They're heavy, the injectors are hard to set, parts are scarce, and getting an 8.2 serviced can be difficult since few mechanics are famaliar with them. As a low-compression engine, they are inefficient and not very powerful. Horespower ranged from 175 to 300hp for the turbo version. Finally, many 8.2s smoke badly when started.

If the coach is in great shape, I would suggest a repower with a more reliable engine such as the 3208 Cat or possibly even the 5.9L cummins.

The cummins can easily handle that coach, plus the fact that these engines are plentiful and mechanics everywhere understand them.

Parts are an easy score too.

The size of the 8.2 is such that the cummins would fit the hole easily.

The swap should be a fairly easy one.

Good luck.

Snowy

The Overlands are an orphan as well. The company has gone out of business not just once but three times, with each resurrection short lived and problematic.  I think I would steer away from it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom