Anyone travel the Al-Can lately or ever in the dead of winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaska Family

planning a trip one way from Chicago to Alaska this month.  I have done the Al-can 3 times and once in January, but never with a class c 33 foot motorhome. Help???

I have a Sat phone, spare fuel, two other drivers, winterized lines, block heater, watching weather, chains, passport, no DUI"s

any other items I should bring / watch-out for??

Alaska Family said:
planning a trip one way from Chicago to Alaska this month.  I have done the Al-can 3 times and once in January, but never with a class c 33 foot motorhome. Help???

I have a Sat phone, spare fuel, two other drivers, winterized lines, block heater, watching weather, chains, passport, no DUI"s

any other items I should bring / watch-out for??
Does your MH have a good generator, in case you get stuck somewhere waiting on help?  New batteries?  Spare tire?  Bottle jack?  Lug wrench?  Mechanic's tools?  Heavy winter clothes?  Survival blankets?  Prayer beads...Bible? ;D  I don't envy your trip. 

Ice and animals come to mind in winter.  Keep the propane tanks full as many of the RV parks will be closed for the season and you may be boondocking a lot. Buy lots of protein bars as the stores may be closed along the way too. 

I drove it this summer. In the winter, I wish you luck. 

Keep the unit winterized and dry 'camp'.
Watch for wildlife--Herds of Buffalo are a real threat; Hard to see in heavy snow, blowing snow, at night or worse yet combined..
Gotta ask, cause I am a bit confused.
Your post says your traveling in a class c 33 foot motor home, but your sig says your ?Traveling Alaska in a 2010 crew cab GMC with a 20 foot trailer of 4 wheelers?

Which is it?

Quawe's link was for day one, if you go into their archives, there are 5 days on that trip, plus a couple of follow up articles abount their trip through to Alaska.  For the most part, it seems the difficulty is that the road surface is a sheet of ice, and you can't drive slowly because you'll get run over by the heavy trucks.

Ed

Love to follow how this trip goes...I will be heading up there in Late April scheduled to arrive in Cantwell before May 10th. Me and my 5er to work for the summer!

Love to here how your trip goes, because most of the stores etc will still be closed when I go as word has it that hardly anything opens before Memorial Day!

I am planning on extra fuel and keeping the generator fueled up as well!

Anny other advise will be appreciated.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom