Anyone using GMRS radio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use them occasionally while hunting. Despite the claims of some of them to have 30-50 miles ranges I've found that when you're in hilly country or forest your results can and will vary. Interestingly enough you are supposed to obtain some license to be able to operate on the GMRS range of channels, but because the FRS channels are the lower numbered ones that all these radios can also use no one really goes through the effort of getting the license. I've also never heard of anyone being tracked down and ticketed for using them without the license. I drove through a major city once and for fun turned one of my radios on and set it to scan channels, I happened to hear a few various conversations of what appeared to be car lot valet parkers.

I recently read that the GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) is rapidly replacing the CB (citizens band) radios that were once popular. I have considered getting on and find that Amazon has a wide range of them, but is there anyone out there listening or talking on them?
I haven't known of anyone using a CB in probably 25 years. Everyone has been using GMRS or FRS for many years now.
I use them occasionally while hunting. Despite the claims of some of them to have 30-50 miles ranges I've found that when you're in hilly country or forest your results can and will vary. Interestingly enough you are supposed to obtain some license to be able to operate on the GMRS range of channels, but because the FRS channels are the lower numbered ones that all these radios can also use no one really goes through the effort of getting the license. I've also never heard of anyone being tracked down and ticketed for using them without the license. I drove through a major city once and for fun turned one of my radios on and set it to scan channels, I happened to hear a few various conversations of what appeared to be car lot valet parkers.
Yes, but one license will cover your entire family.

Ok. dang thing needs to restart
First there are a couple of "Definitions" for GMRS depending on how much you want to spend and where you are..
You can get el-cheapo FRS/GMRS radios most anywhere these days. Department stores. Big Box home improvement stores.. Gas stations (Well at lest the truck stop ones) Best Buy...
These are, as I recall without grabbing one.. 21 channels (Some are just FRS those are 14) the first 14 are "low power" and are FRS channels. No license needed. Limited range. 15-21 are GMRS. higher power and you need the license.. I see instructions have been given the 10 year licene costs $35.00 at this time (used to be 80).
(But then my ham ticket now costs 35/10 years and it used to be free)
Then there are even higher power GMRS radios (License required from here on) And "Mobile" (mounted in the car, not hand held, remote antenna) (Fender/roof mounted) and some places have GMRS Repeaters... (This is a fixed receiver and transmitter atop a tall building or tower.. HEIGHT IS MIGHT so you can hit it with a hand held radio from oh say 5-10 miles out. and it will re-broadcast A good repeater can easily cover an entire County.. and many do)
But to use those you generally need to belong to the sponsoring orgination.
I have a GMRS license in addition to my "E" ticket (Extra Class Ham).
When my wife was alive we used FRS/GMRS radios for driver to spotter communications.

I haven't known of anyone using a CB in probably 25 years.
Well, I've heard folks from time to time on my CB in my Jeep, though it's not nearly as busy as it was some years back, and the 4WD trips we've taken from Quartzsite have pretty much depended on CB communications, though FRS and ham radio are also used, just depends on who is equipped how. But the typical mobile CB installation has a LOT greater range than the FRS or the GMRS handhelds.

Besides needing the license for GMRS, you can also get mobile rigs (with much more power and vehicle mounted antennas, giving much better range) as John says above, but you're unlikely to find people camping on GMRS the way CBers did in the past. Still, many (most?) truckers have CBs, and some (if not all) state police still monitor CB. channel 9.

Not all GRMS radios the same. You can get a nice mobile radio (not a handheld) for $300. You do need a license but a test is not required. This is the radio that most of the off road clubs have switched over to. Joining a local GRMS group would be a good way to start. You can program the radio for frequencies and repeaters for your area and these clubs tend to have the needed software to program your radio. I bought a used commercial kenwood but those are getting hard to find in good used condition. These were popular in school buses and county vehicles. For reference GRMS repeaters in NM can now hit repeaters in Colorado that is pretty cool.

My handheld Garmin GPS/2-way has dual FRS/GMRS band functionality, but in my years of using it hunting I can honestly echo Jkoht's comments above and agree that the higher GMRS band freqs don't offer any measureably greater distances to communicate with.

I've never registered my units with the FCC to utilize the GMRS bandwidths, and don't expect to get arrested for not doing so anytime soon.

Driving through Kansas or Florida where it's nice and pancake flat?... maybe there is a practical difference in range. But there's no added advantage I've experienced in more wooded or hilly terrain to speak of for one as opposed to the other.

Last edited:
I still use CB radio in the MH because if there is trouble ahead while driving, truckers will warn others as soon as possible. That will not happen with a cell phone app-too much time delay, or other means-not enough users to be effective.
We do have Motorola GMRS handy-talkies for when a few others and us are caravaning and don't want eliminate the CB for emergency info.
I've also noticed the FRS and GMRS channels are now often busy with kids chatting around populated areas.

the higher GMRS band freqs don't offer any measureably greater distances to communicate with.

maybe there is a practical difference in range.
FRS vs GMRS freqs won't show an appreciable difference in range when using the handheld units. The range difference would primarily be between the handheld radio and a mobile unit with a vehicle mounted antenna. The better antenna contributes the most to the improved range, but the extra power helps quite a bit, too.

What will make you want to become legal is if you try and bootleg on the GMRS repeaters around, you will discover no one will talk to you unless you're licensed. For the simplex frequencies (non repeater) you can "get away" with it communicating with friends or whatever but you're limited to line of sight, maybe a dozen miles or so with a rooftop antenna. There are groups now that sponsor nice mountaintop GMRS repeaters that cover decent distances that are also linked over the internet to other locations, so the utility of GMRS can be quite good. Around here I hear a number of hams that are also on GMRS so it's kind of the same culture. I still prefer HF for "casual" radio operating but for utility communications at a site it's hard to beat the simplicity of FRS and GMRS.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

I haven't known of anyone using a CB in probably 25 years. Everyone has been using GMRS or FRS for many years now.
But, all we need is for some mega-celebrity to start raving about theirs or a movie to come featuring a big star using a CB and they'll be all the rage again. Not unlike vinyl records, old film cameras, retro fashion etc. etc. Not holding my breath, but... :rolleyes: :D

But, all we need is for some mega-celebrity to start raving about theirs or a movie to come featuring a big star using a CB and they'll be all the rage again. Not unlike vinyl records, old film cameras, retro fashion etc. etc. Not holding my breath, but... :rolleyes: :D
I had a pair of handheld GE CB radios that I got back in the late 1980's. They could plug into a cigarette lighter, or run on 8 AA batteries, that they ate up in about 5 hours. Myself and a buddy took them duck hunting one time to keep track of each other and those things had a range of maybe 1/2 mile...over water and flat terrain.

Thanks for this thread. It's served as a reminder that my tech license expires in about 3 months. Perhaps this time I'll study harder and pass the General test, enabling a wide range of even more unnecessary spending on HF gear.

I drive a truck and do use a CB all the time. Actually it's a 10M export that has a moderately illegal power level for 11M (CB) it's not supposed to work on. No FCC cops have chased me down to give me a ticket, because i'm not a pest with it. I rarely talk, and usually only to alert others of a hazard. Nearly never do it, but on 10M I stick to the band I'm licensed for, and follow the rules as anyone with manners should do.

Re the OT, about 15 yrs ago my bride and I did some murdercicle touring. She and I rode our own, and both were equipped with GMRS radios. We never registered them, nor ever had any FCC cops come after us. They were good for about 2 mile range. Enough that if the leading bike needed to warn of a turn or hazard, or failed to notice the trailing one falling back with a breakdown, there was enough time to call out and respond. Again, if you're not being a pest and interfering with others, nobody really cares what you're doing.

Bite your tongue! Unnecessary spending is necessary as without it life could be pretty boring. Ask me how I know... :rolleyes:
Unfortunately for me, the household paymaster is also employed as a procurement manager for various local municipalities for the past two decades. She has a keen eye for mansplaining bullshit. On the other hand, it's not too difficult to exploit a life/safety rationale when shopping for things at HRO. She's a sucker for that angle. Just don't tell her I said that.

Back
Top Bottom