Anything interesting to see on the way to avery island LA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on what you like. We just spent a week in that area. We like eating new foods - a-lot, we like architecture and history, nature. A lot of sites I could list.

Yes if you have food ad architecture recommendation also. Where can I get authentic cajun/ creole food in that route. I have done many boiling shrimp / crawfish already in Slidell area . So looking for something more prepared saucy meal, than just plain boil shrimp and tomato ketchup

Avery Island, I assume you’re going for the tabasco tour. Have lunch at the restaurant, it’s chef prepared go for the specials, menu seemed mundane. Special I had - Crayfish étouffée, + tails - to die for. Check out the jungle gardens, not epic except for the fact 1 man created it. Worth the drive.

You’re not in creole country so don’t expect it. You’re in Cajun country, beautiful, humble, down to earth.

Cajun we found is a very humble and simple experience. In Jeanerette, Louisiana you’ll find LeJeune's Bakery 1510 Main Street Jeanerette, Louisiana (french bread ginger cakes). Not Real Parisian french bread, humble. Find muffuletta and stuff the bread with that. Ginger bread makes great bread pudding.

We found plate lunches to be interesting, not 5 star dining like in NOLA, but good. BON CREOLE LUNCH COUNTER 1409 E St Peter St New Iberia, LA 70560, epic gumbo, awesome plate lunches. Humble, eats like the locals enjoy. Order at the counter and wait. Po’boys and gumbo what’s best.

Cane river pecan pie bar In New Iberia, good crawfish pies, expensive. Delectable pralines in the shop, the chewy ones.

Shawns cajun meats 410 Canal St Delcambre, LA 70528 syrup sausage Home | Shawn's Cajun Meats And Grocery

Epic sunday bbq and real cajun fare. Syrup sausage. Also The Best Stop Cajun Market in Broussard, LA 1008 Smede Hwy, Suite A Broussard, LA 70518 boudin and tasso. Ask the ladies how to eat boudin, it will surprise you.

If you get to Abbeville, SHUCKS! THE Louisiana Seafood House 701 W Port St Abbeville, LA 70510. Ousters and epic étouffée. https://shucksrestaurant.com

Architecture, Cathedral of St John the Evangelist 515 Cathedral St, Lafayette, LA 70501-6701 Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist
cemetery pretty interesting.

I can't really suggest much, at least not much with RV parking along that route. In the area around Avery Island I can make some suggestions:

In order of proximity to your route

1, Landry Cajun Seafood and Steakhouse in New Iberia (no relation to the national chain with similar name and fake Cajun food), traditional working class Cajun mom and pop red and white vinyl table cloth sort of restaurant

2, Cafe Jefferson at Rip Van Winkle Gardens (more upscale, contemporary cajun / cajun fusion, variety menu (chili dogs to lasagna) only open for lunch located at the botanical gardens.

3, Suire Grocery and restaurant (about 30 miles west of Avery Island), ran down looking country grocery store with some fantastic cajun food, bonus they also sell reheatable portion packs of frozen cajun food you can put in your freezer and take with you. (parking is limited, gravel lot, but we have managed to get in here in our 28 ft class A)

I am sure there are plenty of others, but these are places I have eaten at multiple times.

p.s. OhioSnowBird, I forgot about LeJeune's Bakery, also people don't know how to eat Boudin? seems hard to believe, note I had Boudin for lunch on Monday.

Last edited:
When touring Louisiana and the Mississippi Delta, it really helps if you understand the difference between "Creole", and "Cajun."
And, no, I m not going to attempt to explain.

The other thing I forgot to mention, a quirky stop but incredibly interesting was the Conrad Rice Mill (Konriko® Company Store) 307 Ann Street, New Iberia, Louisiana, 70560. The mill and tour were nothing grand but interesting. The tour started with a 20 minute slide show about Cajun history and culture. You’ll see the flooded rice fields everywhere. When rice isn’t growing, they farm the crawfish (we’re farmers) in the same fields.

AE2F352D-9F3E-4477-9BC4-975BB8D55783.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom