Appologies. Not very techy but need a couple answers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darin

I'm gonna hit the search, but I'm also going to ask since it seems like using the search on forums turns into an exercise in frustration when it would have been easier just to ask. 

Taking a month RV trip from Harrisburg to Badlands, then Yellowstone, Tetons then back through CO. 
The questions for people that have 1st hand experience.  Taking a handgun along for all the reasons you'd expect.  I understand concealed carry laws in the US are archaic at best and sadly don't extend across state lines.  How have you dealt with this? 
Also, I have my destinations and broken down to 6 to 8 hrs of driving.  While willing to hit Walmarts and rest stops, I don't want to guess they are going to be there.  Is there a resource to help find these before I leave other than simple looking at google maps or gps? 

Last question.  Have you done anything to your RV to help with altitude?  Last time my 6.0l Class C was choking a bit at the higher elevations. 

Thanks guys, really.  Ok, off to searching and I'll be watching this page for helpful replies. 

-Darin

[email protected]

I use this site for places to park for the night. Most are free...Just READ the reviews.

https://freecampsites.net/

In regards to how you choose to protect yourself. That's a choice/risk you have to decide for yourself. Just be prepared to lose your weapon should you need to make use of it.

Turbo diesels don't "choke a bit at altitude", so I have no experience with that problem..  Most of the western states you will cross are gun friendly,, but you need to check each individual state,, I always carry when traveling in the coach,, I started when I was 17 at the request of the US military.>>>Dan

The only problem I have had at altitude with my Gasser is the gas is not teh same. they sell a lower octaine cause they claim you don't need 87 at altitude.. I do.

As for gun laws. I use other means of self defense so no help from this quarter. NRA is Good at that.

You can use free apps such as RV parky or overnight parking, and you could probably do a simple google search for more or check your app store. Check them out and see which one(s) have the best ratings and which have the options you would be using.
As for carrying, check the laws in each state individually.

Thanks guys.  That's what I was looking for.  This forum rocks!

Six to eight hours of driving a day in an RV is a lot. Make sure you add in some extra time for more rest if and when you need it.
We are supposed to be enjoying the trip as well as the destination, and if you are to fatigued after driving is soon becomes work and not fun.
Have a great trip!

I usually run 6 to 8 hours a day when we travel.  This equates to 300-350 miles a day.  We do occasionally stop for fuel,  lunch, to walk the dog and also if any site along the way catches our eye, so may actually be on the road longer a bit longer to cover the mileage.

I also use freecampsites.net for overnight stops.  Since we got our bigger coach, I'll also try and look at the site on Google Maps satellite view.  I've chosen unwisely a couple of times and ended up at a rest area or Walmart instead because the new coach wouldn't fit in the site I found.

As far as firearms, we live full time in our coach, and I carry both a .22 rifle and a Colt 1911, but they are stored, unloaded, in cases, in my closet.  They are not intended for use as self defense by me, I'm just not ready to pass them on to the kids yet.

If talking about altitudes over about 8,000 feet some propane refrigerators have issues keeping the burners lit, if you have issues, it is sometimes possible to tweak the output pressure of the propane regulator a little to keep them operating.  I forget if you turn the pressure up or down at altitude, I think down since the refrigerator burner has a fixed size orifice, and turning down the pressure gets the air to fuel ratio back closer to correct.  This of course assume you have a adjustable regulator, and the proper tools and training to make the adjustment.

Rvparky has different setting you can select. You can choose to have it show all Walmarts, Crackerbarrels, Cabellas, certain gas stations etc. It is also handy for finding rv parks, of course.

As far as WalMarts, go to one of them a pick up a Atlas of all the states and Canadian provinces. They have the locations of all the WalMarts in there. You should call 1st to make sure they allow overnight parking. Some don't because of local ordinances.

Note: Cracker Barrel restaurants allow free parking.

We have a section of the forum JUST for discussion on Camping at Wal*Mart and other non-campgrounds... check that out.

Firearms wise, remember your RV could be consider a residence and/or a vehicle depending on circumstance. If you have your weapon(s) secured back in the rig "house" somewhere and you are following the rules of your native state (i.e. in Illinois I have to have a Firearm Owner's ID card), you should not have any problems with legal possession. If the weapon is nearby or on your actual person while driving or walking around, that's a trickier situation and falls under CCW. Same if you travel through metro areas like Chicago and have strict anti-gun rules in terms of local ordinances. Care and planning is recommended to avoid those areas, or know the exact limitations in advance. Do a little research and check out the rules in the states/areas you'll be passing through. Oftentimes, the state police website (or calling their headquarters or barracks) can answer some of those frequently asked questions as well since most firearms regs are administered and enforced at the state level. If you talk to an officer, politely ask for their name so you can jot down who you spoke to.

That's a lot of travel for a month, so you are going to be doing a lot of driving. Be sure to allow plenty of time in Yellowstone, Tetons, etc. Those are not overnight stops if you expect to see much.

Walmarts: There are several RVing guides that list all the Walmarts that do or do not allow overnight RV parking. Here are a couple:
https://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm
https://www.walmartlocator.com/rv-parking-at-walmart/

Altitude: When we spent a summer in the Rockies with our gas motorhome, we had no performance problems up to 7500 ft. That was an 8.1L V8 moving a 22,000 lb coach and 3300 lb toad. None with a 40 ft diesel coach the following year either.

We never felt the need to carry a gun in the RV, but that's just us. I've read that about 40% of Rvers do, but have no idea how accurate that may be.  If you bring a hand gun, you just have to deal with the patchwork of state regulations.  Lot's of help online for this. A long gun would be a much simpler choice, though.

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/03/traveling-cross-country-with-a-gun-in-your-rv/#axzz5qY0bLLdD
https://axleaddict.com/rvs/Should-RVers-Carry-Firearms-When-They-Travel
https://www.escapees.com/firearms-in-your-rv/

Darin said:
  Taking a handgun along for all the reasons you'd expect.  I understand concealed carry laws in the US are archaic at best and sadly don't extend across state lines.  How have you dealt with this? 

There are several websites (this is just one I found on google) https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html that will help you figure out what states' CCW permit will grant you rights across the states you travel the most. As a So. Cal. resident I have 4 CCW permits, and can carry almost everywhere except my home state.

As an avid gun-nut firearms enthusiast I'd like to remind everyone of the importance of training and precise marksmanship... RV bodies are basically tissue paper wrt bullets in flight.

As far as transporting between campsites, the safest way to go, especially in non-permissive environments (Boulder, and many Indian Reservations) is a locked box with an unloaded firearm... and, of course, know the rules of the states you drive through... the Penal Code is usually online.

scottydl said:
and you are following the rules of your native state (i.e. in Illinois I have to have a Firearm Owner's ID card), you should not have any problems with legal possession.

With all due respect, this is incorrect.

Following the rules of her home state almost got Shaneen Allen's children taken away. She lost her job, and was facing 3-10 years in prison. (https://www.foxnews.com/us/honest-mistake-leads-to-philly-mother-facing-three-years-on-gun-charge ) Only a pardon from Governor Christie saved her... if he hadn't been running for President she'd be in prison now.

In California (my home state) a weapon that is 100% legal in a state like Arizona could easily be a felony as soon as you cross the border. (a stock-standard AR-15 with a pistol grip, for instance, or a Glock pistol with a 15 round magazine.)

Know the laws of the states you plan to travel.

bigfatguy said:
With all due respect, this is incorrect.

Following the rules of her home state almost got Shaneen Allen's children taken away. She lost her job, and was facing 3-10 years in prison. (https://www.foxnews.com/us/honest-mistake-leads-to-philly-mother-facing-three-years-on-gun-charge ) Only a pardon from Governor Christie saved her... if he hadn't been running for President she'd be in prison now.

In California (my home state) a weapon that is 100% legal in a state like Arizona could easily be a felony as soon as you cross the border. (a stock-standard AR-15 with a pistol grip, for instance, or a Glock pistol with a 15 round magazine.)

Know the laws of the states you plan to travel.

I appreciate the clarification... I was not considering the importance of type of firearm. Locked and unloaded is the safest method of transport but even that isn't foolproof as you illustrated.

This will be the 3rd time we've done this month long trip.  We pared it down to less stops this year.  Badlands for 5 days, Yellowstone for 5 days, Jackson Hole, Tetons, Jenny Lake, etc are all really close to each other, we'll be there for several days.  But the 1st few days is a sprint to get there for me.  8hrs for me is an easy stretch. After having driven from Harrisburg to Orlando and to Nashville in single stretches, 8hrs a day is a snap.  We do it in small stretches and stop for fuel every half tank. And coffee and snacks.  ;) 
1st time was with wife and 3 teen children.  Last year and from here on out, just the wife unit an I!  So much easier. 

Found this a bit interesting.  But like anything "internet", you just don't know. 

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/03/traveling-cross-country-with-a-gun-in-your-rv/

Back
Top Bottom