Are front end diesels noisy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

Still researching our next RV which will be a diesel something ...

I have read diesels are quieter than front engine gassers.  Not sure if that statement is limited to the pushers.  It doesn't seem like a given that a front engine diesel will be noisy?

Also, the pusher style with no front to rear driveshaft would seem to give give the coach designer a lot more flexibility in overall design.  Is this actually the case or does it end up not making much difference?

thx to anyone taking the time to share their knowledge.

mark in MN

I have read diesels are quieter than front engine gassers.  Not sure if that statement is limited to the pushers.  It doesn't seem like a given that a front engine diesel will be noisy?

A pusher is more quiet in the cab area simply because the engine is 35 feet away.  A front diesel is about the same noise level as front gas - the proximity of the engine is the more important factor.    A Class B or C front-engine is usually a bit more quiet than a front engine Class A, probably because the Class A puts the cab directly over the engine rather than behind it, and perhaps because the van cab has somewhat more refined noise abatement.
Also, the pusher style with no front to rear driveshaft would seem to give give the coach designer a lot more flexibility in overall design.  Is this actually the case or does it end up not making much difference?
One major advantage of a pusher design is in the basement storage - no driveshaft tunnel in the way.  This makes for larger bays and the possibility of "pass-thru" spaces (a coach-wide storage area).  The front-most bays are usually larger as well.  Another is that the entry door can be all the way forward (bus-like), which allows some different floor plan options.

The Cummins ISB diesels that I had in pusher RV's did tend to rev a bit higher to make their HP, so putting it up front would be a bit louder than all the way to rear like Gary says. Those were in 2006, and 2010 model year RV's. The FRED chassis were produced about that time period. 

The FRED was never  a big seller, then when manufactures came out with a lower priced pusher, the demand for FRED chassis dried up. 

The FRED front diesel cost more than the same rig with a gas engine and didn't do a lot that was obviously better.  The diesel engine was better in both longevity and acceleration, but neither of those attributes are big sales factors in a motorhome.  Price, on the other hand, is a huge factor.  People who were willing to pay more for superior mechanicals bought a pusher so they got the whole package with all the potential benefits, e.g. air suspension & brakes, greater GVWR, pass-thru storage, reduced engine noise, etc.

Diesel pushes as are every bit as noisy as front end diesels and compare noise wise to gas perhaps noiser in some cases (listen to a diesel pickup v/s a gasoline pickup)  My 8.1L workhorse (Gas) is so loud that if I'm outside I hear the fuel pressure regulator releasing gasoline back to the tank (Another way of saying I have to strain to hear the engine) inside engine noise. or to be more precise fan noise. is much louder.

So why are front end engines "Louder" well the rear enginer is BEHIND YOU  (your ears tend to focus forward) 20-30 feet BEHIND you (didstance squared law applies)  And you are being pushed at about 60 MPH so the wind amplifies the distance.

But the the outside observer. Same loud, different spot.

They're all nice and quiet when you're stopped and the engine ain't running. Sweet dreams.  ;) :D ;D

RTsRV said:
AND, if you travel at the speed of sound (761mph or thereabouts) you won't hear the engine at all!

Truth plus your co-pilot will answer your questions before you ask them :) (old joke)

But even at lower speeds the sound is reduced.

So we recently rented a FRED- to see if we like Rving and to see what we'd want in an RV.  Needless to say we are now the proud owners for a PUSHER!

The FRED had great fuel mileage BUT if you were boondocking all the generator noise is in the back bedroom, it is ROUGH- trust me you'll want that air ride!  And there was SO much heat blowing around the front dash from the engine up front- whether this was a design law or what- but we were travelling in March and April and we were cooking to death!

The FRED's have the power and the fuel mileage, but not the quiet comfortable ride....

Cheers!

The FRED chassis is essentially just a diesel engine in an otherwise conventional front engine, leaf spring chassis and thus little different than the Ford or Workhorse gas chassis in terms of ride & handling, noise, heat, generator location, etc. 

Back
Top Bottom