Are you still using your Kindles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elly Dalmaijer

I am really curious to find out from the many Kindle/Sony eBook owners on this forum if you still enjoy using your Kindle as much as you did in the beginning? Have you slowly gone back to paper books?
I have been looking at the eSlick reader from Foxit, especially for use during the many months we spend in Africa. But when we are home, I wonder if the novelty factor of an eBook wears off and I will long to hold an ordinary book again.

What is your experience?

Elly

Elly:

My wife (a non-techie) has had her Kindle since Christmas and she NEVER hs a book in her hands anymore.  ;D

I still do nearly all my reading on the Kindle.  I have 2 fiction magazine subscriptions and when they come up for renewal I'll subscribe through Amazon and get them on the Kindle too.  I'm still going through the hundreds of free short books that are available.  I may never have to buy another book :)

Lorna reads from her Kindle every day too.

I have the original Kindle and love it.

I also have an Iphone and installed the Kindle reader on it and now I always have a book available.  It syns automatically with the Kindle so it knows where I left off so I can read on the Kindle and pick up where I left off on the Iphone.

Great app.

I have a Kindle 2. And love it.  It has text to speech on all the books.  I made a carrying case for it, so I can do needle work, or go for a walk and still read. It has a slightly different screen, so one can see it better outside.

I've been looking for a table top plate holder, to hold the kindle, so I don't have to while I'm reading. 

Books go from free to ?. And there's a variety of subject matter to please every kind of reader. Including reference books.  I don't think I'd go back to paperbacks, unless it's  a really really good book.

Happy reading
Barb

Barb,  I got a folding plastic book holder at OfficeDepot less than10$  Works great -- only name on it is OfficeDepot -- dk gray with adjustable back and WIDE clip/clamp to hold top  of Kindle - easle style set up - about 7" wide and 10" high(closed) 'foot/bottom' +-3".  Use it all the time - especially when arthritis in thumbs acts up.

Yess-- I am still using my Kindle got orig whem 1st came out and still read daily/nightly.  Too 'cheap' to buy Kindle2  just to get the reading out loud feature but sounds really cool.  Haven't found a really good source of FREE/cheap books yet tho'.  Some of ones I did try couldn't navigate thru.

That is very interesting! I wonder if the continuing love for the Kindles by the framily would also apply to the population at large.

BTW Maddog, if you want to upgrade to the Kindle2 I may want to buy your old Kindle.  ;)

Don; the synchronization of the Kindle with the iPhone. Wow! Is that also possible with a Blackberry??

BTW does anyone have a Sony  or the Foxit reader?

Elly

The Kindle is the greatest thing since 'sliced bread', especially like the ability to increase print size. 

Wife and I replaced our early Kindles with the new one and gave our old ones to her Mom and our Grandson.  Mom (92) who won't play solitaire on those new-fangled computers loves her Kindle.  The best news was our Grandson in that he is reading so much more, wish we had given him one when they first came out.

Haven't read a 'paper' book since.  The only disadvantage is some of the books required by Grandson for his classes are not available in softcopy.

Elly Dalmaijer said:
I am really curious to find out from the many Kindle/Sony eBook owners on this forum if you still enjoy using your Kindle as much as you did in the beginning? Have you slowly gone back to paper books?
I have been looking at the eSlick reader from Foxit, especially for use during the many months we spend in Africa. But when we are home, I wonder if the novelty factor of an eBook wears off and I will long to hold an ordinary book again.

What is your experience?

Elly

I can't imagine why anyone would return to paper backs after having a Kindle!!!  After my son saw ours (the original), he immediately bought two Kindle 2s for he and his wife.

Thank you all for answering. I actually found a brandnew boxed Kindle 1 on Kijiji. Asking price was $350CAD. I told him that this was far too much and offered $200CAD and that was accepted.  I can't wait to get it and start putting books on it.

Your input was much appreciated.

Elly

My concern is that I like to read on airplanes.  If you have a Kindle you lose about 30 to 45 minutes when e-devices have to be turned off.  I have a reader on my iTouch and have read a number of books on it. 

I am ready for the Kindle.

For those looking for good e-books, especially in the science fiction and fantasy genres, try Baen Books

For years I have used their Free e-Books Library for many of the books that I now have.

Now, if you have a recognisable disability and can come up with documentation to back your claim, you can apply to the site through here:
Baen Books Free to Disabled Readers

If they accept you, they did for me and I am in Australia, you get a lifetime paid up subscription, for free, for ever. That is something that I think is pretty neat and the present folks that run Baen's Books should be congratulated for carrying the project through after Jim Baen's passing back in '06.  Once I got the subscription I have been able to catch up on the other books that I might not have been able to get before

Please check out the site, they have an extensive list of authors and I am sure you will find something to match your tastes in reading.

It would be great if we could get ebook downloads from Amazon for our Airmiles.

What are the sites you download your books from? Who has the best prices?

BTW That is Baen site is a great resource for those who are Sci-Fi fans and their offer to people with disabilities is pretty amazing. Thanks for sending that Ian!

Elly

Elly, do a Google search on free ebooks and you'll find dozens of sources.  Get the Mobi or Palm format, the Kindle reads those.

Thanks to all for your input.

Now to choose from hundreds of thousands of books........

Elly

Thanks Elly, there is actually a wide range of authors and tastes covered there, just that the majority would fit into the science fiction or fantasy genre.

I enjoy my Kindle more and more.  Can't imagine a reason in the world for going back to paper books.  If you get into the Kindle books section and sort by price, you'd be amazed at the good stuff available for pennies.  Once I came across quite a few for free.

If my favorite authors release above the $9.99 Kindle new-book price, I email Amz or just wait a few days, and the price usually drops to $9.99.  Lower, of course, once they're out in paperback.

Also, Amz has started a new egames service.  I have been using the HP games website and see many of the same ones at Amz for 1/3 the price. 

--pat

Barb:  The Kindle 2 has a neat cover that opens like a vertical tablet, so it stands on a tabletop.  I think it's by M-Edge, who make the best Kindle covers.  Unfortunately, they don't seem to be making the vertical design for the original Kindle.

--pat

Elly:  Re the increasing popularity of Kindles, I have noticed in the top 100 new and future releases in the Mysteries and Thrillers list Amz provides, that Kindle editions are frequently making the list.  I think this has become more apparent since the release of the K2.

I always shop in the paper books section and not the Kindle store, so I can request books not yet available in Kindle edition.  Amz provides a handy button to do that.

--pat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom