Arizona Newbie RV girl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GreyHeads said:
WOW, thank you Mollibee!!!  Great info and will take this to heart!!  Got the TT home yesterday.  Made the mistake of plugging in the elec cord to an extension cord to the house.  It trips the house breaker.  lol  I wanted to sit in the AC but sat out in front of the camper in 101 degree weather.  Beer was tasting good also.
Heavy duty electrical cord?  Is that an extension cord?

Rather than worry around about cord colors and wire gauges, buy a purpose-made RV 30 amp extension cord and a female RV to male 15 amp standard plug adapter.  Camping World, for one, carries them. 

The cord:  http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/heavy-duty-30-amp-10-3-stw-cord-with-handle/7995

The adapter:  http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/heavy-duty-power-adapters-with-handles/7997

Other RV supplies will carry the gear also.

Other hints:

1.  If you are going to operate on house current, make sure the circuit you plug into is not running a fridge, freezer, or A/C unit in the house.
2.  If you want to run the RV A/C on house current, switch the RV fridge to operation on propane.
3.  Use the shortest run of extension cord as you can.  Wire has resistance and a 50 foot extension cord will add significant load to the circuit especially if the diameter of the wire is too small.

Kathie,

I'm one who says go for it and don't worry.  There will be plenty of good solid folks to help you in the unlikely event something happens.  Even if the battery dies and there's something you can't figure out in the middle of the night, you still have a good secure place to sleep. 

A bad day RVing is still better than most of my "good" days elsewhere!

johncmr

Sounds like you've already gotten a lot of good advice.  So, I'm just going to say....relax, enjoy, and welcome to the forum.  As the questions arise - just ask and I'm sure the forum will give you some great advice.  :)

Water Dog said:
Kathie, if you have an electrician wire a 30 amp outlet for you, make sure he knows that you need a dedicated 30 amp, 120 Volt circuit, and let him know that it's for an RV. When most residential electrictians think of a 30 amp circuit, they are thinking 240volts. You don't need smoke in your new RV.

"220, 221, whatever it takes"  Michael Keatan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharod
Back
Top Bottom