Arizona with the Stocks in Feb.-March, 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
March 4, 2013 Day 11 Tucson

When we got up this morning, it was such a perfect day that we decided to change our plans and go to Arizona Sonora Desert Museum.  Yesterday at Tohono Chul, we had purchased a coupon book for Arizona attractions ($18).  With our 2 for 1 coupon, we saved $14.50 on our admission to the Desert Museum. 

We went on a docent-led tour.  To be fair, we had a private docent-led tour by an outstanding docent the last time we were here, and she was an impossible act to follow.  This time, there were about 20 of us on the tour, the docent wasn't nearly as knowledgeable, and she was very soft-spoken so I only heard about 25% of what she said.  By the end of the tour, only six of us remained.

We were greeted by a cactus wren singing to us (Picture 1).  I know they are very common, but they are so pretty, happy, and active, they make me smile.  It was only about 72?, but most of the animals were resting in shade  (Pictures 2 of the mountain lion, 3 of the Mexican wolf, & Pic 4 of the bighorn sheep).  The white-tailed deer were sweet (Picture 5).

There were many busy doves in the aviary, including this one building her nest. (Pic 6)  We were proud to find the lilac-crowned parrot hiding among a lot of greenery, and we found an opening to get a shot. (Pic 7)  I was happy that I remembered the name of the black-bellied whistling duck that we had last seen in Texas (Pic 8).  I learned that the bird we saw building a nest yesterday at Tohono Chul is the verdin.  Another visitor told me this was a grosbeak, but he doesn't look like them in my bird books. (Pic 9)  Can anyone identify him?

We ate on the patio at the Ocotillo Cafe.  The food was delicious, but expensive (total $35 with tip, and I didn't  even order a drink).

I'll have to write Part 2 tomorrow--it was AMAZING!  But, I have to turn in so I can enjoy tomorrow.

Staying at Desert Trails RV Park, $192/wk., huge park, all amenities, fun activities

Attachments

• IMG_9918.jpg
    IMG_9918.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9921.jpg
    IMG_9921.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9934.jpg
    IMG_9934.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9946.jpg
    IMG_9946.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9923.jpg
    IMG_9923.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9953.jpg
    IMG_9953.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9971.jpg
    IMG_9971.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9979.jpg
    IMG_9979.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9995.jpg
    IMG_9995.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 12
The mountain lion is especially interesting.  I had to LOOK for him because he blends in so well with his surroundings!  Nature is so interesting....

ArdraF

March 4, 2013 Day 11 (Part 2) Tucson

When we left the cafe we went to the riparian area.  There were a few birds that we'd already seen, and the running water calmed my disappointment with our visit so far.  There was a raptor show in 10 minutes so we headed to Cat Canyon.  When we were still far away, we could see hundreds of people on terraces and lining the walkway, and we knew the amphitheater seating was filled.  We found a hole in the crowd and waited.  We thought we should have been there at least 30 minutes early and wouldn't be able to see a thing, but the trainers had it worked out so that wherever you were in the area, you would get to see a spectacular show.  Their audio system was loud (but not booming) and clear, and the naturalist gave us a lot of information. 

The grey hawk (Picture 1) is native to this area and fairly common, but its numbers have recently really decreased because of shrinking habitat.  I usually see birds from underneath and can't identify them, but I will know this one anywhere.  This grey hawk flew straight at us (Picture 2), soared, turned, and landed (Picture 3). 

The 8-month-old barn owl was beautiful (Picture 4).  He flew low to the ground, just as he would if he were hunting prey (Picture 5).  His ability to maneuver was incredible (Picture 6).

The female peregrine falcon's small size,  and her ability to dive, and fly so quickly kept us in awe.  It also made it impossible to get a decent photo.  She can dive at 270 mph.  Dean got pictures of spectators' hats, a blur, and the desert.  But we will always have pictures in our memories; I'm just sorry we can't share them.  She was incredible!

They sent out 4 Harris hawks.  Harris hawks are communal, unlike other raptors.  They live together,  perch together and hunt together.  They relay chase prey so the prey gets tired out and they don't.  Sometimes they do a "group pounce."  They have family squabbles, lock talons, but they don't hurt each other.  The alpha female is the leader and largest bird.  She eats first.  However, sometimes she will let a young hawk eat first so he won't be vulnerable for too long.

Oh, my!  Dean made up for zero good photos of the falcon by taking over 50 of the Harris hawks.  I brought it down to 11, and it's hard to publish only 4 of these gorgeous birds.  It's impossible to describe their majesty.  (Pictures 7, 8, 9, 10)

We've attended many raptor shows.  We've traveled over 100 miles out of our way to get to a raptor center.  Nothing has ever compared to this free-flight demonstration.  I asked the naturalist afterward how they guarantee that the birds will return.  She said they know they have it good.  They get good food with minimal effort, are protected from the elements with good housing, and they are safe.  They are also fitted with a radio transmitter.  Twice birds have become lost and couldn't find their way back.  The trainers followed the signal, and when the birds saw them, they eagerly came to them.

We then went to the hummingbird area, which paled when compared with our memories of our last visit.  I am pretty sure that Picture 12 is an Allen's.  Can anyone help me with Picture 11 or 13?

The Arizona Sonora Desert Museum is still our #1 "Don't Miss" in Tucson.

Staying at Desert Trails RV Park, $192/wk., huge park, all amenities, fun activities

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 13
More pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 8
March 6, 2013 Day 13 Tucson

I had heard that Madera Canyon is the 3rd best birding spot in the U S, so I was excited to go there.  I researched all I could find, and directions were elusive.  I couldn't find phone numbers, or people didn't answer.  If you know that its Exit 63 off I-10, there are great brown U S Forestry signs all the way. 

Our first stop was the Santa Rita Hotel, which is kind enough to let anyone come and sit on their benches and watch the birds.  We bought ice cream in their gift shop, and they were very helpful, though they did ask us not to stay all day (we hadn't planned to, anyway).  The Mexican jays were plentiful and enjoyed the nuts and suet in the feeders (Picture 1) .  Most were either young or female (Picture 2), but an occasional male showed up and glistened when the sun hit his blue colors (Picture 3).  OOH!

There were lots of house finches and goldfinches.  They didn't stay put for long, and we caught one in flight.  (Picture 4)  Then we caught the speedy jay in flight.  (Picture 5)  There was one bird that defied identification.  (Picture 6)  Is he a house finch?  He eats with them, has the same flight pattern, is the same size, and has the same beak.  But, his facial markings and tail were not the same.  Can anyone tell me his name?

Gray squirrels came and climbed the rectangular-based, metal-bottomed feeders with great acrobatic acumen, almost falling several feet to the ground.  While they were in the feeders, birds didn't go to them.  Some found it easier just to eat what was on the ground. (Picture 7)

Attachments

• IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 9
Part II

I was so pleased with myself when I identified this female Northern Flicker from the pictures on-line and in my bird books.  I am learning.  What a beautiful bird she is!  I learned that she is related to the woodpecker, but sits on horizontal objects, rather than clinging to the side of a tree.  (Picture 8)

I was looking for more different birds up high in trees when I saw motion on the ground.  A female coatimundi had come to visit us (Picture 9), eat what had been scooped out of feeders, and get a drink. (Picture 10)

We drove to the end of the canyon slowly, and believed what the other birders told us.  They said there wasn't much action today, but a storm was coming on Friday.  Right before and after the storm, the birding would include more different birds.

The Tucson Botanical Gardens were about a half-hour away, a small 6-acre shady oasis in the middle of the city with 13 different small garden areas.  We had a 2-for-1 coupon in our city coupon book.  I'm glad we went once, but I would choose to do other new activities next time.  They had a small butterfly house, where we saw these beauties (Picture 11 and 12).  I have butterfly cases at home, and the blue morpho is so striking.  He is all brown at rest,  with interesting patterns (Picture 13), and he is a striking blue in flight--you can see part of that blue peeking through at the rear of his body.  Picture 14 is one of my favorite camouflage moths--the Atlas.  He looks like a snake, and when he is in danger of being eaten by a bird, he flops back and forth, deceiving the bird into thinking he may strike at any time.

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0194.jpg
    IMG_0194.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 9
Part III

I'm challenged with identifying birds, and I can't learn new butterflies, even though they are interesting (Pictures 15, 16,  and 17)  The gardens have a wide variety of gardens--iris,  citrus, Asian, Mediterranean, cactus and about 7 others. I was so pleased to see a cactus in bloom because it happens so seldom (Picture 18),

Attachments

• IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 11
Birds are fun. Often like a quiz. Except when they're LBBs (Little Brown Birds). Enjoy.

Wendy
Yuma, AZ

March 8, 2013 Day 15 Tucson

Today was supposed to be very blustery, rainy, and cold, and it lived up to all the weather predictions.  So we visited the Arizona State Museum on the beautiful campus of  the University of Arizona..  Admission is $5 (buy one, get one free with coupon book).  Parking in the U of A garage was $8, but we could have parked in a private lot for $5.  The museum had four areas--a room with photos about immigrants from Mexico and their struggles, a pottery room, a rug room, and The Path of Life, which was the main focus of the museum.  The last 3 areas were about Native Americans of Arizona. 

The Path of Life is a trail winds through 11 areas of Arizona and describes the tribes that lived in each.  The show the way of life each tribe lived through photos, explanations, and artifacts.  I did more reading than I've done in the last week, and I learned a lot.  It was interesting to me because Native Americans are part of our nation's history, and I've been learning about them for decades.  However, unless you're into Native Americans, you'll find this museum very academic.

We had a delicious lunch a block away off-campus at The Bakery.  One block the other way is the Student Union, which has a food court.  Then we returned to the museum.  We spent about 5 hours there total.  We stopped at the gift shop and bought a book because we didn't have to pay state sales tax--only the local 7%.

Dean was overdue for a haircut.  We stopped at Supercuts on the way to Carnival of Illusions show.

I've been trying to attend the C o I Magic Show for 2 years, but they are always booked.  They recommend getting reservations at least 3 weeks in advance, so I was thrilled when I was able to get them this time, only a week in advance.  The show takes place in the Hilton Doubletree Hotel.

I was told that we could check in 90 minutes before the show.  Doors open 25 minutes before the show.  The front row was sold out, but the lady assured me that there wasn't a bad seat in the 54-seat room, though they would be sold out.  We got to the room 20 minutes before the show, and the only 2 seats left were ours, and they were barstools way too high for me to mount.  Apparently, everyone gets there VERY early.  We arranged a deal to come back tomorrow night.  They checked us in tonight for tomorrow night, so we are guaranteed second-row seats, and we will be there 40 minutes early.  All will be great if we can extend at our RV resort.

Tickets for the Magic show were $31, (they were in my coupon book @ 2/1, which would have saved us $31, but I bought the coupon book after I made the reservation).  However, the tickets give you 2/1 at the Doubletree Steakhouse.  Our steaks ran $19 and $21, and it included a soup & salad bar, ranch beans, and cornbread.  They were cooked perfectly, and you can't beat the price of $21 + tax + tip.  We have been shocked by Arizona's 10% state sales tax and the locals add on to that.  In Tucson, that's 17%!  And I thought California was bad.

Dean & Linda Stock said:
March 8, 2013 Day 15 Tucson

We have been shocked by Arizona's 10% state sales tax and the locals add on to that.  In Tucson, that's 17%!  And I thought California was bad.

I can tell that we will be like Scrooge next winter in AZ with those sales taxes.  Really tough on us as there are very few in MT.  They are only in places  like West Yellowstone to raid the tourists.  :)

March 9, 2013 Day 16 Tucson

We went to the magic show, and it was really good.  We were in the second row, about 6' from the magicians, and they left us in awe.  Even though you don't see them do it, you can sometimes figure out how they must have done it.  With these magicians, I had no idea.  Tomorrow on to Yuma.

Ok  so Dean and Linda  moved on and arrived in  Yuma.  Happily they  joined us tonight along with  Mike and Wendy for  a wonderful RVForum supper. Dinner was by Betty at Terry and Betty's pad.  Menu:  veggie appetizers, Broccoli soup, garlic bread,  chicken stuffing casserole, wheat salad, peas  and angel food cake trifle  for dessert.

Lots of technology chatter.... iphones, ipads, tablets etc.  Lots of information on  past retirees in the school district where Betty and Linda worked.  Lots of world  problems solved.  If only we were in Power!
Photo 1  Group Shot, dinner on patio.
Photo 2  Dean and Linda
Photo 3  Weight Watcher Trifle 4 points per 1 cup serving.
Photo 4  Betty and Terry
Photo 5  Mike and Wendy

We love our RVForum friends! 

Attachments

• Yuma guest dinner 2013 Mar 11, 2013 6-55 PM.JPG
    Yuma guest dinner 2013 Mar 11, 2013 6-55 PM.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 28
  • Yuma guest dinner 2013 Mar 11, 2013 6-056.JPG
    Yuma guest dinner 2013 Mar 11, 2013 6-056.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Yuma guest dinner 2013 Mar 11, 2013 6-057.JPG
    Yuma guest dinner 2013 Mar 11, 2013 6-057.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Yuma guest dinner 2013 Mar 11, 2013 7-32 PM.JPG
    Yuma guest dinner 2013 Mar 11, 2013 7-32 PM.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Yuma guest dinner 2013 Mar 11, 2013 7-33 PM.JPG
    Yuma guest dinner 2013 Mar 11, 2013 7-33 PM.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 23
Betty Brewer said:
We love our RVForum friends!

We love our RVForum friends, too!  How much better can it get?  Betty serves us a delicious, healthy meal, has wildlife stop by for entertainment, and then even does my log for me!  She is the ultimate hostess!

Dean & Linda Stock said:
We have been shocked by Arizona's 10% state sales tax and the locals add on to that.  In Tucson, that's 17%!  And I thought California was bad.

Actually, AZ's rate is 6.6% and dropping a point in a couple of months. County and municipal additions range from 0-4%. I'm not sure how Tucson came up with 17%, there's something else in that.

Ain't Framily grand ? We had a wonderful time. But it's supposed to be 98 on Friday so I think it's time to catch the 10 o'clock out of Yuma !

March 12, 2013 Day 19 Yuma

We got up early to drive out to Imperial National Wildlife Refuge before it got too hot.  We missed our turn-off because it was marked as a U S Marine Recreation Area.  There was a large mobile home town that looked like a huge fire hazard because they were so close together.  There were a few shops, including a run-down grocery store.  We thought it was odd that they had placed a great blue heron statue in the center of the town's only intersection (Picture 1).  As we paused to try to figure out where we had gone wrong, he moved (Picture 2).  He was alive!

We backtracked to Imperial NWR.  There was a beavertail cactus blooming in bright pinks. (Picture 3)  In the visitor center, we saw a short film about NWR's throughout the US.  There were a few displays of animals native to the area.  We then went out on a wonderful observation deck, but the lake had shrunk and the area was bone dry.  In the distance, we saw a couple of coots.  There was a spectacular ruby-throated hummingbird who flashed his colors at me several times, but he was very hard to photograph. (Picture 4)  However, the birds have gone.  We saw very few other than turkey vultures who were plentiful.  We only heard two birds calling or singing.  We needed to be here a month ago.  We did follow the Visitor Center's map which shows places to view birds along the river, but we didn't see much.  We'll do this again next January or February, with much better results I'm sure.

Staying at Araby Acres RV Resort -- Passport America rate of $86.89/3 days (would have been $155.89 without PA)--worthy of the Resort in the name, excellent everything, even a swan lake

Attachments

• IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 9
Wendy said:
Ain't Framily grand ? We had a wonderful time. But it's supposed to be 98 on Friday so I think it's time to catch the 10 o'clock out of Yuma !

We agree.  We are headed to Borrego Springs or San Diego tomorrow.  I'm letting Dean choose our destination, but it's guaranteed to be cooler, though I have enjoyed the weather to this point.

Pierat said:
We just came from Tucson. Did not pay 17% sales tax.
You're right.  I thought I had posted the new info, but I hadn't.  I got the original figures from the cashier at the U of A State Museum bookstore.  However, I noticed that the figures couldn't be correct when I purchased other items.  I turned to my trusty i-Phone and asked it the current state sales tax, and it is 6.6%, as Bernie said.  Local taxes are added onto that, and our experience is that it varies widely.  In Yuma, we paid $8.89 tax at our RV resort on a $86.89 bill, so that's a little more than 10%.  I'm sorry I didn't post the new info immediately when I figured it out.

Back
Top Bottom