Aspect 30J

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
X

X-Roughneck

Hello Board,  Might get bumped out of this thread topic as this is not a real Winnebago "Issue" but it is specific to Winnebago.  Been doing alot of research and have been impressed with the Winnebago MFG process.  They seem to cut alot of parts with precision tools during the build process.

Was wondering if there are any owners of the 2018- 2019 Aspect 30 J or the Cambria 30' line that would not mind commenting about their after purchase buys like the Pros-Cons, Likes dislikes and just overall satisfaction with their purchase.  For Texas being such a large state it seems like these units are not plentiful at dealerships.  I see a 2019 in North Texas listed for $116K and of course I know that is not the price to pay.

I am hoping to purchase later this year and of course would love to get a 2019 that did not sell.  Judging by the 2018 NADA models at ($96K) am hoping a left over 2019 will be able to be had for ($100K) or slightly less range after the RV peak season is over.  I have the idea in my mind that buying later in the calendar year when people are thinking holidays (NOV,DEC) will give me the most leverage as a consumer wanting to purchase. 

Hopefully I can get a few owner comments.  Good, Bad or Ugly we are very interested.

Your post is fine in the Winnebago board. If you find a lot 'queen' (the dealer has been sitting on it for a year) you might be able to negotiate ~30% off the Winnie list price - depends on how hungry the dealer is. We ordered our Horizon from Lazydays and got 25% off the Winnie list price but the RV market was hot and Lazydays was selling units like crazy. Conditions might be completely different now though.

Nov-Dec may be a slack sales time in the northern US, but it's the start of the busy sales season in Florida, South Texas, Arizona, etc.  BThe busy sales season itself can be good for the buyer - dealers can offer bargains when their sales volume is unusually high because much of their cost in fixed overhead and floor plan financing costs. High sales volume and rapid turnover helps them with both of those.

For obvious reasons, popular models don't get discounted as much as slow sellers. Most Winnies fall into that category.

Winnebago recently announced that they were immediately discontinuing the Aspect and Cambria. You are limited to existing dealer stock and the used market. We had a Cambria and both units filled a unique niche for a high end, feature rich class C. It is unfortunate - not really sure what Winnebago management are smoking with the dramatic reductions made recently to their motorized product lines

Here's an excerpt from their Q2 2019 fiscal report:

[...]Revenues for the Fiscal 2019 second quarter ended February 23, 2019, were $432.7 million, a decrease of 7.6% compared to $468.4 million for the Fiscal 2018 period. Gross profit was $66.4 million, a decrease of 1.8% compared to $67.7 million for the Fiscal 2018 period. Gross profit margin increased 100 basis points in the quarter, driven by revenue mix, pricing and Motorhome segment operational improvements, partially offset by inflationary cost pressures and heightened dealer incentives. Operating income was $28.9 million for the quarter, a decrease of 18.0% compared to $35.3 million in the second quarter of last year, driven primarily by the decline in RV unit sales. Fiscal 2019 second quarter net income was $21.6 million, a decrease of 2.2% compared to $22.1 million in the same period last year. Earnings per diluted share were $0.68, a decrease of 1.4% compared to earnings per diluted share of $0.69 in the same period last year. [...]

Apparently they are retrenching and dropping products that don't contribute to the bottom line.

After scouring RV trader for months a used 2017 Aspect 30J with low, low miles presented itself and after numerous conversations with the person I went ahead and drew up a good faith deposit contract/ put down some Benjamin's and booked a flight for the wife and I to the North east to go look with the intent to purchase around mid August.  Did not have the intent to buy this early in 2019 but feel like this deal or one like it is unlikely to present itself on a reoccurring basis.

In our mind the story checks out and as long as the RV is as represented we will have cashier's check in had to finalize the purchase.  If not we will book the return flights to Texas and keep looking.  I have faith this guy is the real deal. 

Even though the line is discontinued after the 2019 production year model I feel confident that Winnebago will still have parts to support the line, fingers crossed. 

We went down to Kerrville, TX and looked at entry level A's and the Minne Winnie C which will remain in production as the class C, gas rep Winnebago will keep in production.  Was not impressed with the Minnie Winnie and do not like the dramatic overhang on the Classic C look.  The salesman stated that with the popularity on the Sprinter chassis Cs that Winnebago is shifting its focus on the smaller Cs towards the Sprinter line.  Flirted with the idea of the Sprinter but the Benz Name ultimately scared me away from the purchase when those out of warranty repairs $$$$ ultimately come knocking.  The Turbo blown HP to the low 300s also was somewhat of a concern, but not sure why.  We really liked some of the models of the Sprinters but the starkness, eat, sleep, crap, of the RV made us go with the Aspect.

Hoping this materializes like we are planning for.  Appreciate the board taking time to throw in their $0.02 also.  Post of JC above also rings true. It is all about the bottom $$$ line.  I have yet to read alot of bad press about the Aspect 30J Line.

If any owners of the Aspect 30J want to comment about their ownership experiences I would love to hear them.

JD

X-Roughneck said:
....We went down to Kerrville, TX and looked at entry level A's and the Minne Winnie C which will remain in production as the class C, gas rep Winnebago will keep in production.  ...
That must have been Ronnie Bock Winnebago in Kerrville - our ranch is about 20 miles NW of Kerrville. They are by all accounts a good dealer.

My brother has a 17 Cambria and the most reoccurring problem is the bottom of the entry "step" is too low and is constantly striking the pavement with damage..  My brother has to have a spare bottom/side strip ready to install at $50.00 bucks a pop.>>>Dan

Utclmjmpr said:
My brother has a 17 Cambria and the most reoccurring problem is the bottom of the entry "step" is too low and is constantly striking the pavement with damage..  My brother has to have a spare bottom/side strip ready to install at $50.00 bucks a pop.>>>Dan

OOPs, made a posting error. Deleted

John Canfield said:
That must have been Ronnie Bock Winnebago in Kerrville - our ranch is about 20 miles NW of Kerrville. They are by all accounts a good dealer.

Yes it was Ronnie Bock's.  Had to stop in at Buzzie's BBQ while we were in Kerrville also for our BBQ fix.  He made TX Monthly top 50 BBQ Joints a few years back.  Saw him on BBQ Pitmasters on TV and thought, got to try this place.  If you are within 20 miles of Kerrville and have never tried Buzzie's then all I can say is go get the car keys and get going!

Utclmjmpr said:

I believe the back suspension on the Aspect 30J is air bagged.  I am wondering at what level your Brother maintains the pressure and if a little more would give the height clearance to prevent this?  I have no experience but am wondering if he is towing and what he is towing when bottoming out? I can see a just the sharp incline of the road surface, driveway etc this being a real problem also.  Maybe there is a bounce factor when inflating to a certain level also?  Has he found a air pressure sweet spot yet?  I think I had even read somewhere where is some type of bolt on roller kit you can buy to bolt somewhere to the frame for this occurrence.  Have you heard of that roller kit I am talking about?  Can't remember and maybe the guy had it fabricated.  Sounds a little poor boy, but hey what ever works to prevent drag. I will say I am a little concerned with that rear overhang myself.  When I look at the pics of a 30J, when looking at the distance from the back axle to the bumper in conjures up a image in my mind of a 400 LB man standing on a flimsy swimming pool diving board.

The area I'm speaking of is just behind the right front wheel,, at the entry door. The body dips there to provide a "step" into the coach and is subject to frequent damage because it's way too low. ( Many were damaged while being delivered to the dealerships.)  We discussed larger front wheels and tires,, Sumo springs,,and several other options , but all where expensive and would affect the handling or change the front end dynamics negatively. ( Just poorly thought out).  He has not experienced problems with the overhang.  He lives in Grants Pass and has had it to Henderson Lineup several times.>>>Dan

Utclmjmpr said:
The area I'm speaking of is just behind the right front wheel,, at the entry door. The body dips there to provide a "step" into the coach and is subject to frequent damage because it's way too low. ( Many were damaged while being delivered to the dealerships.)  We discussed larger front wheels and tires,, Sumo springs,,and several other options , but all where expensive and would affect the handling or change the front end dynamics negatively. ( Just poorly thought out).  He has not experienced problems with the overhang.  He lives in Grants Pass and has had it to Henderson Lineup several times.>>>Dan

I had trouble visualizing what Dan was talking about......until I looked at some Aspect 30J's for sale on RVTrader.  Yup that area where the "body dips" is real obvious in the pictures of the rigs for sale.  Would make entry into the coach a LOT easier for us older duffers, but the ever-present worry of damage would make it a "no thanks" in my book.  Just my $.02, of course.

Attachments

• Aspect-2.jpg
    Aspect-2.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 13
Utclmjmpr said:

I :))

In that particular "Aspect,, the slide is where my brothers Cambria has the entry door and the "step",,right behind the front wheel where it gets all the mud and damage.>>>Dan

X-Roughneck said:
Yes it was Ronnie Bock's.  Had to stop in at Buzzie's BBQ while we were in Kerrville also for our BBQ fix.  He made TX Monthly top 50 BBQ Joints a few years back.  Saw him on BBQ Pitmasters on TV and thought, got to try this place.  If you are within 20 miles of Kerrville and have never tried Buzzie's then all I can say is go get the car keys and get going!
A little off topic diversion follows... We've eaten there several times and it's pretty good. The best BBQ we've found in the area is a small place in Ingram on Hwy 27 - Bill's. He's about ~10 miles west of downtown Kerrville. Bottom line is the worst BBQ in our area is way better than BBQ was in most other states we been in  :D .

John Canfield said:
A little off topic diversion follows... We've eaten there several times and it's pretty good. The best BBQ we've found in the area is a small place in Ingram on Hwy 27 - Bill's. He's about ~10 miles west of downtown Kerrville. Bottom line is the worst BBQ in our area is way better than BBQ was in most other states we been in  :D .

JC know what you are talking about.  Going to make it a point to check out the other joint.

JD

Back
Top Bottom