AT&T looking toward eliminating Direct satellite TV by 2020

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Roy, I have to wonder why your selling this so hard.

Not pushing it at all.....No dog in the fight. I've just been searching for the last couple of years for a way to "Cut The Cable" at home and have Television entertainment on the road as I move to spending months at a time on the road.

In fact, switching from satellite set top boxes to a streaming service will VERY negatively impact my livelihood as my company manufactures and sells digital modulators that distribute satellite TV to MDUs (Multi Dwelling Units).

Paying for TV at home when no one is there and having to deal with a dish and expensive subscription on the road just doesn't work for me.

Streaming all these channels for XX$$ a month just seems like a no brainer.

And now that both AT&T and T Mobile are saying this streaming data does not affect your data limit.......I'm struggling to find a reason why not.

NY_Dutch said:
I'll wait until the streaming services are carrying all the channels we want to watch. Until then, Dish is the right service for us.

Us too.

A bit off topic but:

Until that happens, does anyone know why (DISH) programming Starts, or Ends late ? Or Early ? Is there a fix ? Seems like the DVR internal clock is OFF with GMT Real Time. Maybe the LNB ?  We've been thru 6 VIP612's (Remans) in the past 8 years. Replacement is Free, they work for awhile then don't.

Just thought I'd throw this out there.

Our Hoppers, and I believe our previous 211K, allow setting the recording times to start up to a few minutes early and end a few minutes late as the default. It should be in your DVR settings somewhere.

NY_Dutch said:
Our Hoppers, and I believe our previous 211K, allow setting the recording times to start up to a few minutes early and end a few minutes late as the default. It should be in your DVR settings somewhere.

The options are there BUT the options are in 1 minute increments. The DRV Starts recording about 40 Seconds Early, and will Stop about the same, it varies, but Never in the 1 minute increments.

And then.. if I set it up to record say @ 8:00, and another program a 9:00, on another channel.. you miss the Ending of the one @ 8:00  :mad:

VERY frustrating.. We don't git to see the Bad Guy git his Come Up'ns. Or the Guy Git the Girl ? :(

We've compensated for that by recording back to back, on the same channel.. We can then Start the second recording... to watch the End of the first recording. Buncha Crap.

Local stations are Spot On.

It gets even more interesting, but I don't wana waste anymore time on it.

Whats even More frustrating is.. I've asked about an upgraded DVR. DISH wants Big Money for that. If I was a NEW customer it would be FREE, with Programming Perks.

Sign of the Times I guess.

BIG JOE said:
The options are there BUT the options are in 1 minute increments. The DRV Starts recording about 40 Seconds Early, and will Stop about the same, it varies, but Never in the 1 minute increments.

And then.. if I set it up to record say @ 8:00, and another program a 9:00, on another channel.. you miss the Ending of the one @ 8:00  :mad:

VERY frustrating.. We don't git to see the Bad Guy git his Come Up'ns. Or the Guy Git the Girl ? :(

We've compensated for that by recording back to back, on the same channel.. We can then Start the second recording... to watch the End of the first recording. Buncha Crap.

Local stations are Spot On.

It gets even more interesting, but I don't wana waste anymore time on it.

Whats even More frustrating is.. I've asked about an upgraded DVR. DISH wants Big Money for that. If I was a NEW customer it would be FREE, with Programming Perks.

Sign of the Times I guess.
With our two (purchased) Hoppers, we have 6 sat tuners and two OTA tuners available for recording, so having programs start recording a minute early and end a minute late is seldom an issue with overlaps. The new Hopper 3 has 16 tuners though, so there should be even less contention.

rbertalotto said:
---snip---Tomorrow I fly to the west coast and I'll try it on Southwest airlines inflight WiFi. Should be interesting.
Good luck.. SWA WiFi is not only painfully slow just to load a website, they are blocking any streaming video unless Direct is hiding it on an obscure port. Either way I've never successfully run a speed test en-flight, but if you can I'll bet it's on par with dial-up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anjoutdoors
Back
Top Bottom