Auto gen start questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ow2145

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased my first RV (a 1996 Fleetwood Flair 22D motorhome). The Onan Microlight 4000 generator model number is 4KYFA26100E. Since I will be traveling with a pet and since maintaining the batteries is such a hassle, I have been hoping to have an Automatic Generator Start device installed. The Onan EC30W device is NOT rated for anything less than spec J (and mine is E). The people at the local Onan Cummins shop were unable to help me. Can anyone tell me if there is an AGS device available that would work for me? What alternate solutions might be available to me?

Thank you.
Oressa Wise
Aurora, CO

Hi Oressa. I am unaware of an OEM part that will work. AGS systems have some safety features that are designed to prevent the generator from starting at undesirable times, like when the RV is in storage, so they're usually installed with an energy management system of some type.

Our coach has an AGS system, and we used to use it. Since installing solar five years ago, however, we've no longer needed the AGS. I don't even bother enabling it anymore. Solar keeps the batteries charged enough so that the low voltage threshold, that would normally trigger the AGS, is never reached. If you can't find an aftermarket AGS system, you might consider solar as an alternative.

Kev

A couple of things, first off the Onan EC-30W was discontinued about 3-4 years ago, second thing I can think of no reason why an Onan EC30 would not work on your Spec E KY 4000, if wired using wiring diagram #7 normally used for the smaller Onan KV generators which don't support blink codes like the later KY's do instead for diagram #6 used on the later KY model from the installation manual.  Of course you might have to make a connector cable adapter as I think the remote connector plug from earlier KY's is different than later KY, but that should be easy enough to splice together, it is only 4 wires to hook up.

Thank you for your reply, Kevin Means. I had been considering solar panels for the battery charging, but I think I need the AGS if possible to provide reliable power for the air conditioning in order to keep my dog safe.

Thank you for your suggestions, Gary RV_Wizard. I have been looking at some of the other kits you suggested but was unable to determine which, if any, might be compatible with my unit as I am completely ignorant about the electrical system of my RV.

And thank you, Isaac-1, for your input. I knew the EC-30W was obsolete, but I did not realize it had actually been replaced by the EC-30. I located the EC-30 installation manual online and it is indeed compatible with and recommended for my Microquiet 4000. Hurray!!! Now, I need to see about ordering  the parts from Cummins and locating someone in the Denver, CO area who can install it for me. The local Cummins people have already told me that they do NOT install them.

Study that manual carefully.  Adding a AGS is not a trivial task for someone unfamiliar with electrical systems.  Presumably you want the AGS to start when the a/c thermostat signals for cooling, so it will tie into the HVAC controls as well as the generator start switch.

Gary is right about that, though to make matters worse the Onan EC30 manual is a bit lacking and in many places is nearly useless, doing things like saying relays may be needed for input signals, but never specifying what that input signal needs to be.

The manual isn't detailed on stuff like that because there are so many variations in the layout of the systems in different RV models.  It won't be like following a cookbook.

Gary, I agree there are a lot of variation, but the manual should at least say if the expected input is 12V DC, and if the signal is high or low to engage.  It is also very poor about defining actions.

The EC-30 will tie into shore power and up to 3 A/C units as well as the genset and a safety device to prevent the unit from automatically turning on in an enclosed area. I only have a single A/C, but that's still quite a lot of wiring and the documentation indicates that I should expect a professional to quote about 8 hours labor for the task. With the cost of the parts (about $500), I'm probably looking at around $1500 or more. Since I have no experience with electricity, I would never attempt to do this myself, but I may need to defer this since I've already spent quite a lot this year getting the RV truly roadworthy.

Is the shore power so unreliable where you go that you need this extra insurance? We all love our furry kids, but trying to achieve a zero risk environment is sometimes not practical.

You also stated "since maintaining the batteries is such a hassle" as a reason for AGS, but not sure what you were getting at. I don't see the relationship there. In fact, if you haven't maintained the batteries adequately, the AGS is going to fail to start the generator.

Good one, DutchEagle.  Always starting on shorepower loss is a somewhat simpler solution than tying in the a/c thermostats.  And it could probably be disabled with a simple on/off switch if desired.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom