Auto start not working properly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackrobnett

My Winnebago has an 8K diesel generator with the Cummins W30 auto start. It works fine if only one AC is in operation. If two or three are in operation, the generator shuts down when one AC is satisfied and restarts in about 15 seconds. Anyone else have this problem? What was the fix?

Interesting! And no doubt annoying too!  I think a call to Winnebago Customer Service might be in order, to ask how it is supposed to work and if they know of a solution.

What Auto Gen Start system does your coiach have? Onan, Xantrex, Magnum/Dimensions, etc. They all work a little different when it comes down to the details.

Would that be the Cummins/Onan EC 30W? If so, that's the likley the cause of the problem. As I understand it, the full EC-30 system is designed to manage up to three a/c units, but the 30W only does one. That means when the single a/c it is monitoring satisfies its thermostat, the EC-30W decides it has done its job and shuts the genset off. The EC-30 (no "W") model is supposed to monitor up to 3 separate a/c units and should avoid that problem.

I'm not familiar with the details of the Onan EC system or what Winnie used in your 2015 Journey, but I think you need to take the issue to them. Maybe they supplied an inappropriate auto gen start system for a 2 or 3 a/c coach.

https://power.cummins.com/sites/default/files/literature/brochures/f-1824.pdf

OK, that model handles up to three cooling & heating zones (a/c units).  The EC-30 shuts off the genset when the a/c is no longer needed (thermostat is satisfied). If another a/c zone then says 'not satisfied', it would start up again. But if the other zone a/c is already running and still not satisfied, the EC-30 is supposed to use what it calls "adaptive management" to avoid "short cycling" (what you are observing) and keep on running.

So, if you have 2 or 3 a/c running and the EC-30 shuts down as soon as the first one stops, either it is not wired to the zones properly or it is defective.I don't know enough about it to tell you how to diagnose which it is, so I suggest consulting with both Onan and Winnebago about how it determines the a/c status.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gurrenteed
Back
Top Bottom