auto transmission w/manual shift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bb21992

???  O.k.  I am not sure what a car with auto transmission w/manual shift really means.  Anyone using one of these vehicle as a toad?  If so,  are you able to put it into neutral without all the auto transmission upgrades you have to do so you don't reck the auto trans in a toad.  I would prefer having a 5 speed manual toad and bypass all that hullabaloo with auto trans.  Any enlightenment would be appreciated.  Thank you :-\

Its still an automatic.  Manual shift simply means that the driver has the ability to manually shift between gears or hold the transmission in one gear for as long as they want.  This varies some from make to make but generally thats what it means.  To keep an automatic car in neutral means the ignition key on all the time.  Not a good solution as the battery can be drained rather fast.  Instead consider putting an automatic equipped car on a trailer or dolly.  Or using one of the axle disconnect devices sold all over the place.

donn said:
Its still an automatic.  Manual shift simply means that the driver has the ability to manually shift between gears or hold the transmission in one gear for as long as they want.  This varies some from make to make but generally thats what it means.  To keep an automatic car in neutral means the ignition key on all the time.  Not a good solution as the battery can be drained rather fast.  Instead consider putting an automatic equipped car on a trailer or dolly.  Or using one of the axle disconnect devices sold all over the place.

A automatic in some cars can be left in neutral with the key in the off position.  In fact the Ford Focus is one such car.  If you disconnect the battery as instructed you can then remove the key.  The steering column on the Focus does not lock. 

howdymi, can you or someone else clue me in as to how to disconnect the negative cable clamp from the negative post on a 2014 Focus.  The neg end of the battery is almost unreachable under the base of the windshield.

donn said:
To keep an automatic car in neutral means the ignition key on all the time.
My 2009 Malibu is towable with a 6-speed automatic (which, can be manually shifted).  The key is left in the ACC position, not the ON position.  GM recommends removing a specific fuse to reduce battery drain; we installed a "fuse switch" instead.  I believe this procedure is also what is appropriate for towing an Equinox, also, although I think GM now says that 3 fuses need to be removed.

Back
Top Bottom