Automatic vs. Manual

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ron said:
I think Bernie mentioned that the next year after they bought their Xterra they are towable without modification.

When I finally got to an owner's manual (there's that dirty phrase again ;D) it limited both speed and distance. Not worth it. The Remco disconnect costs a goodly amount but it is quick and easy. Well worth it to get the car we wanted.

Hello Gentleman,
I'd like to tag (no pun intended) onto your conversation here.  I've towed manual trans many times but would like to get a full size truck with auto trans and 4wd.  If I understand correctly any 4x4 auto will be fine as long as you can put the transfer case into neutral which usually means the truck needs to be equipped with an actual transfer case lever on the floor not a push button on the dash.  Any other bits of info you guys have would be great.

Ya know what there was a little pun intended  :D

Have a great one.........

.  If I understand correctly any 4x4 auto will be fine as long as you can put the transfer case into neutral which usually means the truck needs to be equipped with an actual transfer case lever on the floor not a push button on the dash.  Any other bits of info you guys have would be great.

Generally this is true but not always.  CHeck the owners manual for towing instructions and if not found in the owners manual check with Remco.

BigSkyLLC said:
Hello Gentleman,
I'd like to tag (no pun intended) onto your conversation here.  I've towed manual trans many times but would like to get a full size truck with auto trans and 4wd.  If I understand correctly any 4x4 auto will be fine as long as you can put the transfer case into neutral which usually means the truck needs to be equipped with an actual transfer case lever on the floor not a push button on the dash.  Any other bits of info you guys have would be great.

Big Sky

Sorry, but it doesn't always work. My Nissan Xterra has a floor shifting transfer case with neutral and the automatic is not towable without a drive shaft disconnect. I'm looking at the new model and, according to REMCO, the automatic is not towable at all. However, I do believe that Nissan went to a push button shifter. The stick shifts are both towable without modification.

BigSkyLLC said:
... put the transfer case into neutral which usually means the truck needs to be equipped with an actual transfer case lever on the floor not a push button on the dash.

In the case of our Suburban, I simultaneously press two buttons on the dash and the transfer case shifts to neutral. Have towed it for approx 15,000 miles that way. No floor stick on this vehicle.

FWIW here's the procedure from the owners manual:

SHIFT TRANSFER CASE INTO NEUTRAL
Set brake.
Start vehicle or turn ignition to RUN.
Put transmission into NEUTRAL.
Shift transfer case to All Wheel Drive.
Simultaneously press and hold STABILTRAK and 4LO buttons for 10 seconds.
Red NEUTRAL light will come on.
Shift transmission to REVERSE for 1 second, then to DRIVE for 1 second.
Turn ignition to unlock.
Put transmission in PARK.
Release parking brake.

SHIFT TRANSFER CASE OUT OF NEUTRAL
Set parking brake and apply brake pedal.
Shift transmission to NEUTRAL.
Turn ignition to RUN, with engine OFF.
Press All Wheel Drive button.
Neutral (red) light will go out.
Release parking brake.

Here is a little tech trivia why some can be towed with no restrictions. On the GM full size rigs in 1988(ish) when the NP241 transfer case replaced the NP208 they added a oil pump that is driven by the output shaft for the rear driveshaft. So with engine off and being towed the t-case still has a pressurised lube circuit. In the past the t-case would have to be left in gear for splash lube then the trans components didn't get proper lube because the trans pump is run off the engine side.

My guess would be the imports with restrictions didn't have a setup like this.

Dan

Tom,

In the case of your suburban I'm guessing you have the auto-trac. We have the electic shift(push button) transfer case on our '99 Blazer and towing is a no-no on that model. The base was a manual shift lever, optional push button and then the auto-trac. The push button versions can not access neutral in the t-case where as the auto-trac can. The newer electric shift t-cases MAY be able to select neutral, but not in '99.

Dan

dsl4us said:
In the case of your suburban I'm guessing you have the auto-trac.

Dan, I'm not sure what auto trac is, but we have stabiltrak. Maybe that's the same thing with a different name (?) The Burb is a 2004.

Tom,

The stabiltrack is a handling option if I recall correctly. The autotrac I'm referring to has a AWD function along with 2HI/4HI/Neutral/4LO. Our push button (electric shift, shift on the fly etc) only has 2HI/4HI/4Lo, no neutral or AWD function for running on dry pavement.

Dan

Tom:  When you towed your towed 50 miles with the parking brake on, did you suffer any damage?  I did the same thing for about 10 miles and didn't have a problem. 

I'd like to add to the never talk to someone hooking up a towed.  DON'T INSIST ON HELPING ME!  I KNOW HOW TO DO IT, AND YOUR KIND EFFORTS JUST GET ME DISTRACTED.  I'M OLD, FEMALE, BUT NOT ENTIRELY INCOMPETENT.  YET.

--PAT

Pat said:
When you towed your towed 50 miles with the parking brake on, did you suffer any damage?

Pat, the parking brake shoes (drum brakes) were shot and had to be replaced, but the stopping brakes (disc brakes) were fine.

Tom said:
Pat, the parking brake shoes (drum brakes) were shot and had to be replaced, but the stopping brakes (disc brakes) were fine.

Tom:

I managed to do that to our CRV in 2 miles ! By then everyone was waving at us because of the smoke rolling off the left rear drum.

What took you so long? ;D ;D

Jeff Cousins said:
What took you so long?

LOL Jeff, I'm sure the linings were shot much sooner, but it took 50 miles before I thought about it turned to Chris saying "I don't recall releasing the parking brake before we took off".

Tom  I have that problem of memory also.  But in my case I really and truly believe it has sopmething to do with older age. Hope not but I think the facts indicate such. I cured the brake problem many years ago.  I quit using it that way I'll never forget it again,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldlawnman
Back
Top Bottom