Auxiliary Diesel Tank for my truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckeyefan

I've search the forum looking for any discussion on in bed auxiliary tanks.
I have an 08 F250 4x4 SC SB with a 30 gallon tank.

I am planning a trip from OH to GA in the spring.
I dread stopping every 250 miles just to fill up again.
I plan to take (2) 5 Gallon Yellow gas cans with me filled up for emergency but wanted to know if that was safe?

Does anyone have any pro/cons to share about in bed Auxiliary tanks?
I have a G2Rollup bed liner so I have limited space for most tanks without taking a lot of the bed space.
Do Auxiliary tanks void any warranty from Ford?

Looking for any guidance and tips on this... thanks!

Diesel is not very volatile, so is quite safe to carry. Just strap the tanks down well so they don't spill.

Aux fuel tanks cannot void a warranty just because you have them - there would have to be some evidence of a specific problem they caused (per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act).  Transfer Flow is the premier manufacturer of DOT-approved aux fuel tanks of all types.

Wondering why you would not want to stop every 250 miles.  Thats 4 hrs at 60 mph, Unless you are use to driving for many hours at a time it seems it would be safer to stop and rest a bit or at least walk about or use a washroom  Whats the rush ?? Safer for you and safer for other travellers on the road
Howard  :)

I don't have an aux tank but wish I did. Have run across many people that have one. The biggest advantage is not so much having to stop, but being able to load up on fuel when you can get it at a lower price. If you are towing, however, the weight of the extra diesel fuel at 7 lbs/gal plus the tank/plumbing may lower your towing capacity and should be included in weight calculations.

I would suggest you google Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT).  Regardless of your age this is a real problem you need to pay attention to.  The pay back on any money you may save in fuel prices will require many miles of travel.  Not worth it in my book.

At $500+ for the tank and plumbing it will take a long time to pay off. I've been looking at them too but  i don't think it would be worth it.

I usually stop every 2-3 hours anyways.

What kind of mpg do you get?  Must not be very much.  I can tow our 5er almost 400 miles with a 30 gallon tank and my old 7.3L diesel.

While I agree with the comments about stopping anyway, that's not what you asked about, so...

Given Gary's response about the 5 gallon tanks (not very volatile), I suggest you try that first to see if you really can justify an in-bed tank.  Especially in light of your roll-up bed cover in a short bed.  If you decide you still want/need one, you might try getting with the cover manufacturer (G2??) to see if they have any suggestions about an in-bed tank that would work with that cover.  I know they make some low-profile tanks, but whether they will still fit and work with the cover, I don't know.

I've had one for about 4 years and love it. I'm not always wondering where I have to fill up next. It's 50 gallon, plus a small tool box on the top. I have an 800+ mile range. I can generally fuel up whenever I want, which is usually when I'm driving around without the 5er in tow. In case your interested in more info,

http://www.rdsaluminum.com/auto-auxiliary.html

I've got a 75 gallon Transfer flow tank in the bed of our truck.  It's worked very well and have been pleased with the system.  The convenience of not filling up every 250 miles has been a real advantage.  I've been able to fill up at car pumps when unhooked most of the time.  I use the gas prices link on MSN Autos to find the cheapest price.  I also get the Kroger or Fred Meyer grocery discount which is available almost everywhere we've been.

The larger tank was particularly useful on our trip to Alaska, preventing us from buying at the most expensive fuel at the small pumps.  Many small towns only have one pump and it can be a long wait for a fill up.  We bought mostly Fred Meyer fuel in Alaska.  Several times, we saved $1.00 per gallon by not filling up in Deadhorse, Coldfoot, or some of the small Bergs along the Alaska Hwy in Canada.

It will take about 100,000 miles to get the investment back in fuel savings.  I'll break even next year.  However the convenience is the largest advantage.

> I dread stopping every 250 miles just to fill up again.

I would be THRILLED to be able to go that far without stopping to fill up.  My wife has to stop to, uh, empty her tank about every 90 minutes.  :p

Ed

Buckeyefan:

Lots of good advice here......

In 2008 I was going to pull trailers around country (PART TIME), a way of traveling and having the cost differed, and maybe make small amount.
Once I established what cost would be, $5,000/Yr to get proper insurance for just one item, it would require one to pull more trips than I wanted to pull.
In the process to "gear up", I bought a "115 Gal AUX Tank with Auto transfer" from "Dully Depot" in Elkhart, In.
It has served me well, and I'm glad I have it. No problems in 45K miles. I will never save on fuel cost to "justify purchase".
Oh..., I still stop every two hours when on road, but, sure nice to fill up every 1500 miles instead of 350.
Started for Alaska once, maybe if I try again, (God willing) I'll really be glad I have this Aux Tank!

I guess I am showing my age but I try not to drive more than 300 miles a day and my truck gets 300 to 400 miles per tank towing so I just fill up once a day.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Please know, I have 2 girls, so I will be stopping every couple hours anyways.
My main point was not stopping to find diesel. It is much easier to stop at a rest stops than it is to fight traffic at an on ramp and find a gas stop with a free diesel aisle to fill up at.
Additionally, I have a boat docked 250 miles from the house and I am always on the edge of needing a refill whether coming or going with the camper. It just depends on traffic and the back roads.
The (2) 5 gallon tanks will ease the worries.

I know the costs to justify would take a while, but I am not as concerned about that. The value of time plays into the equation as well. (I'm not retired  :D)
It does make it appealing like today when I needed to fill up. Being able to use my Kroger gas card and take on more than the 27 gallons I could with $.50 off per gallon.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and guidance.

Two more quick questions on the subject of the 5 gallon cans.

#1. Is there really a difference between the red gasoline and yellow diesel cans?
Can I put diesel in the red cans?

#2. If I have a red can that is empty and dry but used in the past with gas, can they be used for diesel or will this screw up my fuel system?

Gas cannot go into diesel without dire results.  use the can with the right label on it  yellow for diesel  etc...

buckeyefan said:

#1. Is there really a difference between the red gasoline and yellow diesel cans?
Can I put diesel in the red cans?

#2. If I have a red can that is empty and dry but used in the past with gas, can they be used for diesel or will this screw up my fuel system?

#1 The color, perhaps a vent.

#2 Yes you can use it imo. Might want to mark diesel on it so you or somebody else won't screw up.

buckeyefan said:
It's likely a safety thing.    If the can is full and you're not around and, with regrets for slandering the DW, she doesn't understand what is going on, someone else grabs the can they could be in deep, deep trouble.  From either an explosion, burns or mechanical troubles if they put it in the wrong engine.

For the $15 or less I wouldn't save this money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom