Auxiliary fuel tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm currently thinking about adding a 40-50 gal. gravity fuel tank in the bed of my 2008 Ram 3500.
Looking to find one that is under the bed rails for my gooseneck clearance. My problem is I cannot find a steel one available that will fit. I did find an aluminum one built by RDS. THE QUESTION...does anyone use an aluminum fuel tank without any issues of it cracking at the seams of weld?
I have a friend who has what is probably a 150 gallon aluminum tank in the back of his pickup that he uses to refuel construction equipment. It's bigger than what you're considering and stands probably 12" or more above the bed rails, but I've known him for 6 years and he uses the tank daily with no problems.
It's not as pretty as it once was, but it's never leaked.

RDS tanks have been the standard go to for tanks in the marine industry. The only thing that creates a problem is surface corrosion from salt water. If you are putting one in the bed of the truck and wish to dress things up a bit, you can coat it with a couple of products. What is a Coal Tar Epoxy? - Definition from Corrosionpedia.

Tile clad epoxy works well too. But its not as UV resistant long term.

I'm currently thinking about adding a 40-50 gal. gravity fuel tank in the bed of my 2008 Ram 3500.
Looking to find one that is under the bed rails for my gooseneck clearance. My problem is I cannot find a steel one available that will fit. I did find an aluminum one built by RDS. THE QUESTION...does anyone use an aluminum fuel tank without any issues of it cracking at the seams of weld?
My personal feeling is that since virtually all vehicles for the past 20 years or more (even my '91 Ford Ranger) have plastic tanks, you cannot go wrong with the plastic, especially with diesel.

These Titan in bed tanks are quite nice and fill the bill. (Titan also makes extra capacity replacement tanks).

Travel Trekker In-Bed Aux Systems - Products

Charles

I have an 80 L shaped above the rail sits well ahead of the hitch and has not been an issue with my 5W. I fuel when I want to not when I have to, 120 gallon total so 1200 mile range. I look ahead at fuel prices also, crossing a state line can save a bunch, especially getting down in this setup. Watch the clerks face when you walk in and say $300 on pump #. IMG_20210326_182405764_HDR.jpg

My personal feeling is that since virtually all vehicles for the past 20 years or more (even my '91 Ford Ranger) have plastic tanks, you cannot go wrong with the plastic, especially with diesel.

These Titan in bed tanks are quite nice and fill the bill. (Titan also makes extra capacity replacement tanks).

Travel Trekker In-Bed Aux Systems - Products

Charles
I'm new to this site and it is very helpful. I want to thank everyone for their responses. As of now I'm thinking these plastic tanks are the way to go? To clarify my concerns about cracking welds, In 2003 I bought an aluminum L-shape fuel tank (110 gals.) for fueling up my farm equipment from TSC. It wasn't a month or so that it started to leak at the seam. I don't know what the quality of this tank was or where it was made? But it has been back in my mind ever since. Thanks again guys.

I'm new to this site and it is very helpful. I want to thank everyone for their responses. As of now I'm thinking these plastic tanks are the way to go? To clarify my concerns about cracking welds, In 2003 I bought an aluminum L-shape fuel tank (110 gals.) for fueling up my farm equipment from TSC. It wasn't a month or so that it started to leak at the seam. I don't know what the quality of this tank was or where it was made? But it has been back in my mind ever since. Thanks again guys.
like any manufactured product there will be some failures. I have not had an issue once I figured there were two drains plugs at the bottom I needed to tighten, they shipped loose. IMHO you can go wrong adding extra fuel capacity no matter what tank you select.

Back
Top Bottom