Auxillary brakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JD Sharp

I switched towed vehicles from a light Mini Cooper to a heavier SUV and feel I should add auxiliary braking for the addition 1000lbs. Most of the time I use the exhaust brakes to slow my DP MH. It seems the only auxiliary system that would work for me is the Blue OX Auto stop. The new vehicle is 3500lbs so I am not real worried. Please share you insight or thought.

Yes, there are other options. We've got the RVi Brake 2, which is the same basic design as the floor-mounted Brake Buddy (just smaller so it's easier to store), and when our Jake-brake is braking, our towed vehicle is also braking (proportionately).

Kev

If I was keeping my toad for an indefinite period of time, I'd opt for a more permanent, easy use type of auxilliary brake system. M&G is the system I have on my pickup. I connect a breakaway cable and a quick connect air hose fitting and have perfectly proportional brakes on the toad every time I use the MH brakes. The cost for the M&G system was about $700 including the extra cost breakaway cylinder. M&G doesn't fit every toad so you have to look it up. This is my second M&G equipped toad, and it was a consideration when I bought the new truck whether I could use and M&G on it. I like it that much.

My toad brakes do not apply with the engine brake like Kevins do. I like it my way. If the engine brake slows things down like I like, then there is no activation of the toad brakes. If I need more braking, as soon as I apply the MH brakes the toad brakes apply too. This way there is no chance of overheating the toad brakes. In the west where I travel, there are a lot of hills and mountains. It is not unusual to let the engine brake slow us down for several minutes at a stretch. What does that do to your toad brakes to apply them with even just a little pressure for several minutes at a time? My belief is that it heats them up. Just like riding your MH brakes for minutes at a time. Most driving courses advise to use the brakes with moderate pressure, slow the rig down and then let off so they can cool. If your toad brakes apply every time the engine brake applies, then overheating and excess wear seems like it would follow.

There is an electronic fix if your toad brakes work off your brake lights. I'll bet that Kevins MH brake lights come on automatically with the engine brake. And I bet this cancels his cruise control too. This is a setting in the Jacobs control module. It can be set to activate the lights or not activate the lights.

Obviously I have a heavy toad, but even when I towed my little Ranger pickup I wouldn't tow without brakes. Find a system you like and use it every time.

KEn

I agree with these guys 100%, you do need aux braking no matter the weight of the toad. Not so much for the casual stop but the panic braking when someone cuts you off and every inch of forward travel counts. 
I use the Roadmaster all terrain 10K lb tow bar so I can tow anything up to my vehicle capacity and the SMI Air Force One braking system in the toad. It is also proportional that works off my air brakes, not the brake lights. It is also permanently mounted so nothing to take in and out of the toad. I also use the RVI Brake battery charger for the toad to keep the battery up whether its for a few hours or a few days. All this has worked perfect since day one of my install.
Figuring out your needs and sorting out the options is the toughest as there are some very good systems out there. Look for package deals and what ever you decide to install just make it a habit to use every time. There will be more suggestions to come I'm sure and a lot of us did the installs ourselves so when your questions arise ask away.

Auxiliary braking systems are required in many states and all the Canadian provinces.  Even if not required, they are a major safety item that should always be used.  We had the M&G braking system on two DPs and it was excellent, however we changed when we got a new toad because the M&G hardware couldn't fit under the toad's hood where needed.  We now have a Blue Ox tow bar which remains on the motorhome when parked and a Roadmaster Brakemaster proportional air brake system.  This is for an air brake system' there are different products for mechanical braking systems.

ArdraF

If your exhaust brake activates the stop lights on the coach, most any brake system will work for you. If not, it could be wired to do so. 

More often we hear the opposite complaint - drivers seem to NOT want the toad brake to activate if only the exhaust or engine brake is in use.

I was surprised to find that the brake lights came on with the exhaust brake. Found this out decending pretty steep grades in lower gears with continuous exhaust brake and tried to run flashers as you're supposed to do (and as every semi is doing, while using jake) and I can't. Newmar says they're required to wire it this way, but a manually shifted car can compression brake much more quickly than I can, and no brake lights there.

bucks2 said:
My toad brakes do not apply with the engine brake like Kevins do. I like it my way. If the engine brake slows things down like I like, then there is no activation of the toad brakes. If I need more braking, as soon as I apply the MH brakes the toad brakes apply too. This way there is no chance of overheating the toad brakes. In the west where I travel, there are a lot of hills and mountains. It is not unusual to let the engine brake slow us down for several minutes at a stretch. What does that do to your toad brakes to apply them with even just a little pressure for several minutes at a time? My belief is that it heats them up. Just like riding your MH brakes for minutes at a time. Most driving courses advise to use the brakes with moderate pressure, slow the rig down and then let off so they can cool. If your toad brakes apply every time the engine brake applies, then overheating and excess wear seems like it would follow.

KEn
We also live out west and 90% of our camping trips require us to climb and descend many miles of 6% or more grades. Just to be clear... our towed vehicle's brake lights DO illuminate when the Jake-brake is braking, but the RVi 2 does NOT automatically apply the brakes just because the towed vehicle's brake lights are on. Older systems may have worked like that, but not the RVi 2. The RVi 2 is a pretty smart system. It uses an inertial sensor to detect braking, and it applies the towed vehicle's brakes proportionately when it senses the coach braking.

You have to program the system for the weight of your towed vehicle, which takes about 5 seconds, but once that's done, it remembers the setting and displays it on a wireless remote display in the driver's compartment. If you move the brake to a different vehicle, you program it for that vehicle's weight. The inertial sensor automatically adjusts for angles when climbing and descending grades, and if the towed vehicle's brakes are ever applied for more than 15 continuous seconds, an alarm sounds on the remote display. Like I said, it's a very smart system.

I don't know if the Brake Buddy or other competitors have the same features, but the RVi 2 works very well. It was specifically designed to enable exhaust brakes and engine brakes to function without applying the towed vehicle's brakes - for all the reasons Ken mentioned.

Kev

That's good to hear Kevin. They're making things smarter every day.

Ken

This  is  for  ArdraF

You  wrote  "Auxiliary braking systems are required in many states and all the Canadian provinces."

Would  you  please  state  your  source  for  this  information  with  respect  to  Canada.

Sorry, it's in the back of my brain.  Probably the Family Motor Coach Association or the front of the Good Sam campground directory which has all kinds of rules in table format.  We've talked about it numerous here on the RV Forum.

ArdraF

Towed Motor Vehicle Brake Requirements By State

This table documents statutory requirements pertaining to brakes on a motor vehicle in tow behind a motorhome or other vehicle in non-commercial applications.
Information was compiled from an analysis of each state's published statutes pertaining to motor vehicle brakes.
Note that this a layman's interpretation of the statutes, not expert opinion. It is presented for information only.

Summary:

Five states; Alaska, Florida, Nevada, North Carolina and Wisconsin, have a verified brake requirement based on the towed vehicle weight.
Most states have a general performance requirement based on stopping distance from 20 mph. Those apply to all vehicles or to combinations of vehicles.
Three states; Hawaii, North Dakota and District of Columbia, have statutes that are not available online and therefore are not tabulated.

State Brakes Req'd Weight (lbs)  Statutes / Section Other Reqmts Performance Reqm't Links Notes
Alabama No - 35-5-212 None n/a Alabama Statutes 
Alaska Yes 5,000 13 AAC 04.205 Performance 40 ft from 20 mph Alaska Statutes 
Arizona No - 28-952 Performance 40 ft from 20 mph Arizona Statutes 
Arkansas No - 27-37-501, 502 Performance 50 ft from 20 mph Arkansas Statutes Enter Statutes number in Query field
California No (Note 1) - 26458 c 3 Performance 50 ft from 20 mph California Statutes 
Colorado No - 42-4-223 Performance 40 ft from 20 mph Colorado Statutes 
Connecticut No - 14-80h None n/a Connecticut Statutes 
Delaware No - 4303 Performance 30 ft from 20 mph Delaware Statutes 
District of Columbia Unknown -  - - -  - Not available online
Florida Yes 3,000 316.261 None n/a Florida Statutes 
Georgia No - 40-8-52 Performance 40 ft from 20 mph Georgia Statutes 
Hawaii Unknown - - - - - Not available online
Idaho No - 49-933 Performance 50 ft from 20 mph Idaho Statutes 
Illinois No - 625 ILCS 5/Ch. 12 Art. III Performance 30 ft from 20 mph Illinois Statutes 
Indiana No - IC 9-19-3 Performance 50 ft from 20 mph Indiana Statutes 
Iowa No - 321.430 Performance 45 ft from 20 mph Iowa Statutes 
Kansas No - 8-1734 Performance 40 ft from 20 mph Kansas Statutes 
Kentucky No - 189.090 Performance 40 ft from 20 mph Kentucky Statutes PDF Document
Louisiana No - RS 32:341 None n/a Louisiana Statutes 
Maine No - 1902 Performance 30 ft from 20 mph Maine Statutes   
Maryland No - 22-301 Performance 50 ft from 20 mph Maryland Statutes 
Massachusetts No - Chapter 90: Section 7 None n/a Massachusetts Statutes

Michigan No - 257.705 Performance 40 ft from 20 mph Michigan Statutes 
Minnesota No - 169.67 Performance 50 ft from 20 mph Minnesota Statutes 
Mississippi No - 63-7-51 Performance 30 ft from 20 mph Mississippi Statutes 
Missouri No - 307.170.3 None n/a Missouri Statutes 
Montana No - 61-9-301 thru 321 Performance 35 ft from 20 mph Montana Statutes 
Nebraska No - 60-6,244 Performance 35 ft from 20 mph Nebraska Statutes 
Nevada  Yes 1,500 NRS 484.593, 9 None n/a Nevada Statutes 
New Hampshire No - 226:27 Performance 30 ft from 20 mph New Hampshire Statutes 
New Jersey No - 39:3-67 Performance 45 ft from 20 mph New Jersey Statutes Enter "brakes" in search field 
New Mexico No - 66-3-840 Performance 30 ft from 20 mph New Mexico Statutes 
New York No - Article 9 375 None n/a New York Statutes
Type "Vehicle 375" in search box 
North Carolina Yes 4,000 20.124 f None n/a North Carolina Statutes 
North Dakota Unknown - - - - - Not available online
Ohio No - 4315.20 Performance 40 ft from 20 mph Ohio Statutes 
Oklahoma No - Title 47 Section 12-301 Performance 25 ft from 20 mph Oklahoma Statutes 
Oregon No - 815.125 Performance 35 ft from 20 mph Oregon Statutes 
Pennsylvania No - Chapter 175 None n/a Pennsylvania Statutes 
Rhode Island No - 31-23-4 Performance 40 ft from 20 mph Rhode Island Statutes 
South Carolina No - 56-5-4850 (h) Performance 50 ft from 20 mph South Carolina Statutes 
South Dakota No - 32-18-10 Performance 50 ft from 20 mph South Dakota Statutes 
Tennessee No - 55-9-204, 205 Performance 30 ft from 20 mph Tennessee Statutes Click Folder, then Title 55, then Chapter 9
Texas No - 547.401 Performance 50 ft from 20 mph Texas Statutes Scroll to Chapter 547, then to 547.401
Utah No - 41-6a-1623 Performance 40 ft from 20 mph Utah Statutes 
Vermont No - Title 23 1307, 1308 Performance 30 ft from 20 mph Vermont Statutes 
Virginia No - 42.2-1066, 1067 Performance 40 ft from 20 mph Virginia Statutes 
Washington No - 46.37.340, 46.37.351 Performance 50 ft from 20 mph Washington Statutes 
West Virginia No - 17C-15-31 Performance 40 ft from 20 mph West Virginia Statutes 
Wisconsin Yes Note 2 347.35, 347.36 Performance 50 ft from 20 mph Wisconsin Statutes  Scroll to 347.35 and 347.36
Wyoming No - 31-5-950 Performance 40 ft from 20 mph Wyoming Statutes 

Note 1  California: Towed motor vehicles are exempt from weight-based brake requirements. Must comply with the performance requirement.
Note 2. Wisconsin: 347.35 (3) (am) Brakes not required it toad weight is less than 40% of towing vehicle weight and the combined vehicles meet the performance requirement.
Links To Reference Sources
DMV.org Online Data Base 
State Vehicle Statutes Summary
FindLaw Vehicle Statutes Database

It's true that the law may not require auxiliary brakes in some states, but the thing is, auxiliary brakes just make a lot of sense. I think most motorhomes, with brakes that are in good working order, should be able to stop the coach and towed vehicle just fine in most situations. It's the emergency stops (panic stops) where problems are likely to occur - very quickly.

Our towed vehicle weighs about 5000 lbs. Without an auxiliary brake, that's a lot of kinetic energy to try and get stopped when you're braking hard and swerving to avoid something while descending a grade. Can you imagine the nearly instantaneous forces imposed on the hitch assembly and attach-points at sharp angles. Heck, I think you'd be lucky if the toad vehicle even stayed attached to the RV. Even if it were only a straight line panic stop, stopping distances are obviously going to be increased.

Kev

Here's my version of the truth.

I have Air Force One equipment on my rig and towed because of the obvious advantages of the proportional air braking. When we bought our new coach, I had to wag our 3200# Honda Accord another 800 miles without the brake system installed on the new coach to the installing dealer, from Salt Lake City to Portland, OR.

Never again. There was a huge difference in how the coach handled, especially in the mountains. And now we tow a Grand Cherokee at 5600#. I wouldn't even consider it at that weight.

Think of the auxiliary braking as insurance, not an option. Notwithstanding any local ordinances, I want to be the safest I can be for myself and oncoming traffic. Friends don't let their friends tow without auxiliary brakes. Period.

Mavarick said:
I agree with these guys 100%, you do need aux braking no matter the weight of the toad. Not so much for the casual stop but the panic braking when someone cuts you off and every inch of forward travel counts. 
Just another reason I have a Dash Cam installed as well as aux braking.
Mel
:)

Back
Top Bottom