Avoiding Dallas/Fort Worth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sondis

Heading to Harlingen from the Tulsa area pulling our new trailer. Since we are newbies we really think we should avoid large metro traffic.  Can anyone suggestion the best way to go to Harlingen?  Also we have heard that from Austin to San Antonio is really horrible traffic.  We have also heard that the highway between Big Cabin to Dallas is too rough for trailers and that it really bounces things around.  Thanks in advance for any and all helpful suggestions you can give us.

We pull our trailer between Kansas and Bryan 4 or 5 times a year.  We've not had any problem taking I-35 between Oklahoma City and Bryan, TX.  We prefer to take I-35W through Fort Worth.  The number of miles of heavy traffic and the number of heavy traffic lane changes required are a lot less than taking I-35E through Dallas.  We try to avoid the morning and evening rush hour traffic when we can.  There is generally one or two slow spots that always seem to occur but overall it's not bad at all.  The best time to go through Ft. Worth is after 7:00 pm and frequently time our trip so we travel through there in the evening, especially in the summer when we have more daylight.

Once you get to Waco, you can take US 77 south and it'll take you all way to the valley and avoid the Austin and San Antonio traffic completely.  It's two lane down to Victoria, but its a good road with no problems with heavy traffic.

Another option, although a bit longer, is I-44 to just west of Oklahoma City and then US281 all the way south to the valley.  We've driven that route many times and it's much easier on the nerves than I-35.  I-35 from Dallas to San Antonio is a traffic nightmare, especially in an RV.  US281 through San Antonio is a breeze.

We follow the same route as Larry and like to hit Ft. Worth about 10:30 t0 11:00 am. It's not too bad at that time. The 77 in Waco also works well and is pretty good road.

Three weeks ago I-35 was heavy construction from just north of Waco all the way south to Round Rock.(We turned off at Round Rock) with narrow lanes through all of the construction areas. We had times when there was just a couple of inches clearance between my mirror and a semi's. Not fun at 65 miles per hour.

(Added). We also had 10 to 15 MPH cross winds.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom